DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 as first drone?

Berf

Reactions
Just curious, is there anyone else out there brave enough to order a M3 as their first drone? I have to admit, I'm a little bit nervous doing this, but I figure I want the best anti-collision guidance available and good battery life and return to home functions, so I chose this new model over the Air2S. Am I making a mistake?

Just curious, is there anyone else out there brave enough to order a M3 as their first drone? I have to admit, I'm a little bit nervous doing this, but I figure I want the best anti-collision guidance available and good battery life and return to home functions, so I chose this new model over the Air2S. Am I making a mistake?
Unless you plan on using it for work, e.g. make money with it, I'd recommend the Mini 2, Air 2S, or a used Pro 2.

You will crash it. You will have features and abilities you will never use. You're spending a lot of money on things you don't need, won't use, and will 100% break.

If money is no object, go for it. Otherwise, I think you'd be better off learning to drive in a Toyota instead of a Porsche.

Ok, point taken. However, don't I have less chances of crashing since the M3 has improved obstacle avoidance?

Reactions: Droniac
Ok, point taken. However, don't I have less chances of crashing since the M3 has improved obstacle avoidance?
If you rely on obstacle avoidance to keep you from crashing, you are taking the wrong track.
Obstacle avoidance is only a backup, and is not foolproof.
There are always limitations to the technology.
The best obstacle avoidance is to avoid flying where obstacles could be a problem.

The M3 costs more because of its camera.
The questions you need to condiser are:
Do you need that camera enough to pay the extra for it?
Or would one of the more cost-effective models suit your purposes ?

Mavic 2 Pro was my first drone, paid over $2000 with the Fly More kit.

Have never come close to crashing it but I’m probably conservative with it compared to other drone pilots.

I don’t fly in cities or try to fly in tight areas. I’m usually surveying where I take off and land for things like power lines.

I think I might have … in the beginning (credit to ELP) much for the reasons you state. But then I’d take into consideration how deep my pockets are. It ain’t 2k anymore. Lol. The air2s for price and function basically equivalent to the M2P… tough call I’ll admit. Cost is what, 5x the price? 🤔 Either choice would be awesome imo. Godspeed, Droniac. (I’m sorry this post wasn’t much help)

Unless you plan on using it for work, e.g. make money with it, I'd recommend the Mini 2, Air 2S, or a used Pro 2.

You will crash it. You will have features and abilities you will never use. You're spending a lot of money on things you don't need, won't use, and will 100% break.

If money is no object, go for it. Otherwise, I think you'd be better off learning to drive in a Toyota instead of a Porsche.
Interesting and reasonable analogy. Good point of course.

I fully agree with Meta4, the reason to buy the Mavic 3 is because you want the large 4/3 sensor and/or the video features the cine offers, the Air 2s's 1in sensor is still a big sensor compared to most of the other drones.

I bought the original Mavic 1 Pro as my first drone although at the time there wasn't as much choice since the Spark, Air and Mini series had yet to be released. I was concerned spending that much given it was my first drone but I've never crashed it or the Mavic 2, I spent time reading through the forums here and on DJI to understand the likely causes of crashes to avoid them and initially practiced flying the drone in a big wide open space.

Mavic 2 Pro was my first drone, paid over $2000 with the Fly More kit.

Have never come close to crashing it but I’m probably conservative with it compared to other drone pilots.

I don’t fly in cities or try to fly in tight areas. I’m usually surveying where I take off and land for things like power lines.
I think you figured out why you haven't crashed it yet.

A fact of flying drones is you will inevitably crash one. Either by pilot error, environmental factors, drone failure, etc.

And the more inexperienced you are, the more likely you are to crash and/or not know what to do when **** hits the fan.

I'm sure it's a fantastic drone. The best they've made outside their pro level drones that cost as much as a lightly used Toyota Corolla.

It's just super expensive to learn on. The base drone price is $2200, without tax. DJI Care Refresh is 230-400. And you want the $400, believe me. $160 for the first replacement, 200, 230 for the next two. Fly away is $740.

Not really. I mean, yes, it will avoid certain crashes, but it's no where near 100%. It will also cost more to replace this drone after you crash it due to the higher Care Refresh costs.

Also, if you haven't had a drone yet, you might not really be into it. I think that's something overlooked by A LOT of people. Most, IME, try it out and then move on. You really have to be into drones, photography, or cinematography to continue to use it for years down the road. This is a hidden cost that most people don't think about...

Also, if you haven't had a drone yet, you might not really be into it. I think that's something overlooked by A LOT of people. Most, IME, try it out and then move on. You really have to be into drones, photography, or cinematography to continue to use it for years down the road. This is a hidden cost that most people don't think about...
This is a good point and I was thinking if I was buying a first drone now that would likely be the main reason I wouldn't buy a Mavic 3 because when I started with my first drone even £1000 seemed a lot for something I just wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of it.

Also you can see by a lot of threads here, there are more and more restrictions as time goes on where you can fly.

Those restrictions may dampen your enthusiasm for the hobby.

Also you can see by a lot of threads here, there are more and more restrictions as time goes on where you can fly.
I don't think that the evidence supports that assertion. There have been no additional airspace restrictions in recent years, and in fact the implementation of LAANC has opened up more places to fly. There may be a few local authorities attempting to restrict operation of drones, but that's not going to have traction long term as this equipment becomes ubiquitous and essential to all kinds of business.

I don't think that the evidence supports that assertion. There have been no additional airspace restrictions in recent years, and in fact the implementation of LAANC has opened up more places to fly. There may be a few local authorities attempting to restrict operation of drones, but that's not going to have traction long term as this equipment becomes ubiquitous and essential to all kinds of business.
Well I was referencing more oncoming requirements as well, RID and CE Mark.

And not just the US but other parts of the world.

All of DJI's drones are more than capable in terms of flight time and range for the average user. The primary differentiator is the sensor size and video specification - that is what you should use to determine the value proposition for your personal usage because that is (mostly) what you are paying for as you move up the model range.

M3 is probably overkill for a first drone unless you are already a serious videographer or photographer. That is certainly not a rule though.

You guys convinced me, I cancelled my M3 order. I'll probably re-order an Air2S instead.
Air 2S really is the perfect drone for someone starting out who wants the best without spending too much. Buy the Fly More combo and you will have all you# need for the next couple of years.....then you will be ready to buy either the Air 3S or the Mavic 4.;)

You won't regret the Air 2S and if you outgrow it..... the resale value will be plenty good.

Remember this you get what you pay for.
i have the Mavic air 2 and just ordered a Mavic 3
is it worth the money that you will have to decide yourself.
now comes the fun part down loads .
firmware up dates and hoping when you are finished doing all this is that it will fly

All very good points – clearly there's no "right answer" – but none of us have yet had a chance to test how good the upgraded obstacle avoidance is. In my mind, if it works anywhere close to what is promised, the M3 is worth the investment. I've been flying for five years with P4 and now the MPro and, despite flying with care, have crashed both of them from flying too close to tree branches during momentary lapses in concentration or failure to judge proximity to the trees. If the M3 prevented just one of those events from occurring, the added cost would, in my mind, be worth the investment. Though I fly commercially for clients and have a Part 107 license, I think the obstacle avoidance could be even more of a benefit to the newbie who is likely to make some mistakes at the start. If it turns out you don't use it much, you can sell it -- at least you'll have a drone to sell if the obstacle avoidance works!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J