DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 cold windy conditions flight

Flew a mapping mission the last week of December at 9600MSL, 25-30MPH winds, and 28°F.

Flew great.

I fly the Mavic 3s in extreme cold all the time. I have to for my clients.

Quite some conditions but the drone was up to it. They are tough birds. How were your piloting fingers at TD?

It’s been my experience that temperatures like that have a little or no effect on battery life. If you look for a flight of mine, titled frozen Forest that I posted here, you’ll see the footage from -20 Fahrenheit in 20 and 25 mile an hour winds. I posted the results from a subzero flight a short time ago. My battery temperature was absolutely unaffected, although it may not have flown till the battery was terribly low. I try to return with plenty of battery, but don’t hesitate flying even at 20 below and have flown at 30 below. This assumes you start with batteries that are normal temperature.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I don’t like flying with gloves.
Thin touch screen gloves are not too intrusive and you can still use your touch screen without taking the gloves off...

Reactions: dirkclod
Flew a mapping mission the last week of December at 9600MSL, 25-30MPH winds, and 28°F.

Flew great.

I fly the Mavic 3s in extreme cold all the time. I have to for my clients.
Well what do you use to keep your fingers warm ?

Reactions: wjkrysak
I use photographer's gloves. The tips fold back and lock as I need them to.

i find a cheap pair of knitted woollen gloves ,then remove the tip of the thumb and index finger on each one and seal it from fraying with some super glue ,or if they are made from a synthetic yarn ,they can be sealed by holding the flame of a lighter close to the cut part

Photo gloves are a great idea. But you have to be careful and not get the ones with magnets that hold the fingers back. Magnets and compass don't play nice when you're calibrating the compass. 🙄

Yeah I use some of hunting gloves like that when it’s real cold.
work great. Not what I usually use but do when I forget my others
as I keep them in my truck. Other than that I just fly from my truck
when I can 👍

Reactions: GFields
Photo gloves are a great idea. But you have to be careful and not get the ones with magnets that hold the fingers back. Magnets and compass don't play nice when you're calibrating the compass. 🙄
Yeah I know. Mine have snaps. I have not seen magnetic ones

Yeah I know. Mine have snaps. I have not seen magnetic ones
Mine are underarmer though a little thick they do come in in a pinch. Think the wife got them for me at our local Sporting good store ,might have some on Amazon. I do try to keep my cotton ones but forget them at times. Getting old sucks with my memory
at times. When hunting I carry what I’m going to ware and always carry my drone case with me. Ya never know when it might come in handy. I haven’t had any compass issues. Yet 🫣
Don’t think I’ve had any compass issues with this new drone yet.
Lucky I guess 🤷‍♂️

I'm not real far from you, a few degrees south. My M3 is impeccable where I'm at, it's always windy and always cold. I fly often in not so good conditions, yet the M3 is rock solid. Fly safe and use common sense.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78