DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 review 51 Drones

Compatability is an ongoing thing with DJI products.
What irks me is every model there are new batteries, suppose you can expect that for aircraft design and improvements in battery tech.
But it just seems like an easy way down the line to force upgrades, simply by making a battery obsolete for a model some 4 or so years old.

I love my old M1P controller, which is basically the same as the M2, telemetry on the controller in case of device disconnection or failure is always good to have on the screen.
You can get home quite easily by various means, even if you are out of VLOS a little (or a lot), as long as you have aircraft - controller connection.

I'm guessing non of the SC's have this if they lose visual ?

The existing SC (and presumably the new one) has all the telemetry functionality of the regular M2 controller.

I always enjoy 51 Drones’ videos. He seems honest about the products in his videos. There’s still many YouTubers that refuse to bring up any negatives about the Mavic 3 in their videos.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Think you're right there.
Skydio is pretty remarkable in the OA from numerous videos I've seen, but from others comments, lacks the refinement of the DJI flight and camera smoothness.
I think Skydio is more suited to the adrenaline junkies wanting to have excellent OA to track their exploits (skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking etc). Horses for courses IMO. Reviews also say Skydio not as enjoyable to fly (pilot controlling drone).

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I think Skydio is more suited to the adrenaline junkies wanting to have excellent OA to track their exploits (skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking etc). Horses for courses IMO. Reviews also say Skydio not as enjoyable to fly (pilot controlling drone).
Agree, they really are for different markets.
The M3 is getting closer to anything else to that sort of OA now though, hopefully new drone models from here on might get to the Skydio level OA and have the DJI flyability side of things wrapped up.
I'm not that into OA (still flying the M1P and happy there), but on the Skydio level it does open up a whole new safety for doing those riskier types of takes.

Heindrich...good to see you back on the forum..I have to disagree about flying near leafless twigs...it takes a moron in my opinion.

*Waves*

Thanks mate, hope you're doing well. I've been too busy to fly or edit much for a few months (backlog of raw vids to edit piling up), so not been very active here. I have been lurking every now and then though. :D

Reactions: hiflyer201
Interesting how people are saying these guys are dumb for flying so close to trees.

Remember, this drone supposedly has a "smart" return to home feature that relies on it's sensors to not hit stuff on its way home.

What kind of idiot flies that close to trees on purpose?
Just like others have said, he is a product reviewer and is testing Mavic 3s limits. Russ is doing this in a controlled, safe environment, and anything that could possibly go wrong would not harm anyone around him.

That’s the sort of vegetation that should be ‘seen’ by OA sensors for sure.
I don’t know enough about the M3 sensors to know if the bottom (top and side ?) sensors are made same as front ones, or when they might be active (all the time, or only certain modes like tripod / cinematic ?), but if it’s marketed as having all surround protection they could be expected to work in that situation.
I have recently noticed that my air 2 bottom oa doesn’t stop when coming close to a tree. I noticed this out of the corner of my eye when flying that I was inches away and oa didn’t kick in. I stopped myself. Not sure what’s wrong.

The kind who didn't have to pay for the drone.
Still had to pay for Care Refresh though. Plus 41 hours of scripting, flying, editing and publishing and social media posting. . . so far. “Free” is a relative term.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569