M3 Yaw control issue

JeffreyS

A Flying Photographer
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.jeffreysipress.com
Hi All,

On my Mavic 3, when I use the right stick to rotate the craft, it continues to turn for some time after I let go of the stick. Even if I am just nudging it a bit to compose my photograph, it just doesn't stop turning for a while (short bit of time). This is a big pain in the butt for image-making. What's going on?

Hi All,

On my Mavic 3, when I use the right stick to rotate the craft, it continues to turn for some time after I let go of the stick. Even if I am just nudging it a bit to compose my photograph, it just doesn't stop turning for a while (short bit of time). This is a big pain in the butt for image-making. What's going on?

Did you not adjust smoothness to your liking? There are settings in there, ya know :cool:

What controller are you using? It definitely shouldn’t be doing that. I have the RC Pro controller and when I let go of the sticks the M3 stops. Try what Suren suggested and see if that helps otherwise not sure what’s going on.

Chris

What controller are you using? It definitely shouldn’t be doing that. I have the RC Pro controller and when I let go of the sticks the M3 stops. Try what Suren suggested and see if that helps otherwise not sure what’s going on.

Chris

Do you guys not even peek inside menu's? Yes, it should do that, depending on how its set up. If it didn't, it would be unusable for filming.

Do you guys not even peek inside menu's? Yes, it should do that, depending on how its set up. If it didn't, it would be unusable for filming.
I don’t think the OP is using his drone for filming.

Guess I should have made myself more clear too. I rarely use my M3 for video, just for photos, especially panos so when I rotate left or right and release the sticks there is very little movement as the drone is stationary and the movement between each frame in a pano is not fast but slow and deliberate.

If I am understanding the OP correctly, his drone keep’s rotating right when he releases the right stick which should not be happening when taking an pano with a stationary drone.

If it’s continuing to rotate right after releasing the right stick but doesn’t do the same for the left stick then it is a setting issue or another problem.

Chris

OP is using the RC controller (Not RC Pro).

Jeffrey - did you reprogram your controller to use Mode 3 with up/down and turn left/turn right on the right stick? The Mavic 3 can be a bit jumpy compared the rest of DJI's Mavic series but it should still stop when you release the stick. You can switch to Cine mode to slow down the stick controls when you are trying to line up a shot.

Reactions: MS Coast
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. I did check the controller settings just now and found the Yaw smoothness to be 56 when the factory default is 5! I also reset the expo on all sticks to default 0.25, 0.2, .025.. I am checking indoors at night, so can't fly right now to test. Will do that in the morning. I see a 'Brake Sensitivity' and 'Max Angular Velocity' settings, which may allow me to set the yaw stability to what I like. I may play with those if the default values don't do it for me. I have some experimenting to do. I am not new to most of these, as I've flown Phantom 4 Pros and M2P for a few years before getting the new M3..

No, Alan, I stay in Mode 2. I'll try cine mode soon. Kinda like Tripod mode? (P4P).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. I did check the controller settings just now and found the Yaw smoothness to be 56 when the factory default is 5! I also reset the expo on all sticks to default 0.25, 0.2, .025.. I am checking indoors at night, so can't fly right now to test. Will do that in the morning. I see a 'Brake Sensitivity' and 'Max Angular Velocity' settings, which may allow me to set the yaw stability to what I like. I may play with those if the default values don't do it for me. I have some experimenting to do. I am not new to most of these, as I've flown Phantom 4 Pros and M2P for a few years before getting the new M3..

No, Alan, I stay in Mode 2. I'll try cine mode soon. Kinda like Tripod mode? (P4P).
Bingo!!

Yup cine is the new name for tripod as far as those of us in still photography are concerned.

Yup cine is the new name for tripod as far as those of us in still photography are concerned.
While it was originally called Tripod mode, now renamed Cine mode, it really only has utility for video recording. How do you find it useful for still photography?

While it was originally called Tripod mode, now renamed Cine mode, it really only has utility for video recording. How do you find it useful for still photography?
Slow everything to fine tune a composition.

Slow everything to fine tune a composition.

Fair enough, but once you are stopped in a hover, the only other control is yaw, as the gimbal control is independent of the flight mode, and you can drag the field of view on the screen left and right, and up and down, for even more precision than yaw or gimbal control would allow.

Reactions: JeffreyS
I occasionally do roof inspections and videoing in very tight situations, urban environments with trees & wires and I find tripod/cine mode preferable. It prevents you from inadvertently making a fast move.
I had the M3 controls all setup nicely and but I think a recent update must have reset them all because as the OP says, the Yaw control in particular has returned to the orginal/default very low damping.

Some of the places I fly to get images are anything but wide open air and maneuvering in tight places requires very careful control. Cine mode is my friend when I need to make certain the drone isn't going to snag an overhanging branch.

Some of the places I fly to get images are anything but wide open air and maneuvering in tight places requires very careful control. Cine mode is my friend when I need to make certain the drone isn't going to snag an overhanging branch.
It absolutely helps for maneuvering in tight spaces to get to a specific location for stills, like inspections, so that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for clarifying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima