DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3C RAW Photo Resolution Issue

DroneographyAI

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix?

I'm on v.0900. When shooting RAW photos, the .DNG pictures are totally pixelated and unusable. The pics appear to be approx 906x680 pixels although Windows photo properties is showing 5272x3498 pixels and the file size is approx 41MB. It's almost like the picture presented is the .jpg thumbnail embedded inside the .DNG file rather than the full .DNG itself.

I did some testing tonight changing the DJI Fly file format setting to JPG+RAW. The RAW files again have the same issue but the JPG files look to be the proper resolution. I presume this is related to v.0900 since the issue only started three days ago - previous RAW photos looked incredible.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reactions: Gagey52
This is a commonly reported "issue".
It's almost like the picture presented is the .jpg thumbnail embedded inside the .DNG file rather than the full .DNG itself.
That's almost certainly what you are seeing.
Every .dng file has a tiny preview jpg inside the file.
Unless you use software that can read the dng file properly, what you see is the preview file.

If you believe it's something different, upload one of the problem files to dropbox or similar and post a link and others can check to see if they have a problem with it.

Reactions: Gagey52
U are downloading directly from the drone, not the rc

This is a commonly reported "issue".

That's almost certainly what you are seeing.
Every .dng file has a tiny preview jpg inside the file.
Unless you use software that can read the dng file properly, what you see is the preview file.

If you believe it's something different, upload one of the problem files to dropbox or similar and post a link and others can check to see if they have a problem with it.
Do you use FastStone Image Viewer? For me, it does a fine job in presenting the jpg version imbed of the DNG. FS also, does a great job in rendering color by dealing with color space applied to imagery.

I'm on v.0900. When shooting RAW photos, the .DNG pictures are totally pixelated and unusable. The pics appear to be approx 906x680 pixels although Windows photo properties is showing 5272x3498 pixels and the file size is approx 41MB. It's almost like the picture presented is the .jpg thumbnail embedded inside the .DNG file rather than the full .DNG itself.

I did some testing tonight changing the DJI Fly file format setting to JPG+RAW. The RAW files again have the same issue but the JPG files look to be the proper resolution. I presume this is related to v.0900 since the issue only started three days ago - previous RAW photos looked incredible.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
The Mavic 3 DNG files have proprietary DJI format. You need software which is able to open them. If you use software which is unable to read these files, what you see is a low res thumbnail embeded in the DNG file.

The Mavic 3 DNG files have proprietary DJI format. You need software which is able to open them. If you use software which is unable to read these files, what you see is a low res thumbnail embeded in the DNG file.
No, the DNG files are not proprietary DJI format. DNG (Digital NeGative) was invented as a sort of common RAW-format by Adobe in 2004, and is free for others to use.
I have an 11 years old version of Camera Raw, it opens DNG-files from DJI drones just fine.

No, the DNG files are not proprietary DJI format. DNG (Digital NeGative) was invented as a sort of common RAW-format by Adobe in 2004, and is free for others to use.
I have an 11 years old version of Camera Raw, it opens DNG-files from DJI drones just fine.
I did not say that DNG files are proprietary to DJI. I said that you need a software which is able to open the Mavic 3 DNG files because DJI must have done something to these specific DNG files making them unrecognizable by some softwares, such as older versions of Capture One for example. Only v.22 and up can open them and edit them. DJI must has clearly done something to them which makes them invisible to some (perhaps not all) older softwares hence my term "proprietary". Maybe not accurate but you know what I mean..😉

I said that you need a software which is able to open the Mavic 3 DNG files because DJI must have done something to these specific DNG files making them unrecognizable by some softwares, such as older versions of Capture One for example

That must be a problem with Capture One. My 11-12 years old version of Photoshop Camera Raw opens Mavic 3 DNG-files perfectly fine. And by the time this Photoshop was released, DJI had still not made their first Phantom :)
So it is fair to say that DJI follows Adobe standards for DNG-format. Otherwise they would probably be sued for millions.

That must be a problem with Capture One. My 11-12 years old version of Photoshop Camera Raw opens Mavic 3 DNG-files perfectly fine. And by the time this Photoshop was released, DJI had still not made their first Phantom :)
So it is fair to say that DJI follows Adobe standards for DNG-format. Otherwise they would probably be sued for millions.
I am not a software programmer but how can that be a Capture One's problem? If all DNGs were exactly the same, every software should be able to open them, right? Capture One had no problem opening other DNG files but when M3 came out it could not open those. So, DJI must have done something, adding (legally) some container or whatever..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi