DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA 2 gimble issue in cold weather

NDWildBill

Reactions
flying a few days ago with the ambient temp about 28 degrees F. After flying a few minutes I noticed the gimble would jerk whenever I stopped going forwards or backwards. I am assuming that this is due to the aircraft's tilt during stopping, and the gimble not being able to follow. Yesterday was a bit warmer, temp about 34 F, everything was fine for about first ten minutes into a twenty minute flight, then the jerking started again. Everything, firmware, app, etc. is totally up to date. I did see a thread on a facebook group that others are having this issue. Wondering if anyone here has had this happen and maybe a solution.

flying a few days ago with the ambient temp about 28 degrees F. After flying a few minutes I noticed the gimble would jerk whenever I stopped going forwards or backwards. I am assuming that this is due to the aircraft's tilt during stopping, and the gimble not being able to follow. Yesterday was a bit warmer, temp about 34 F, everything was fine for about first ten minutes into a twenty minute flight, then the jerking started again. Everything, firmware, app, etc. is totally up to date. I did see a thread on a facebook group that others are having this issue. Wondering if anyone here has had this happen and maybe a solution.
I had this the other day flying in 34f. Can the cold really affect the gimble?

Reactions: roger boivin
I had this the other day flying in 34f. Can the cold really affect the gimble?
Yes: cold affects whatever lubricant is on the gimbal and the flexibility of the cable connected to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyce555
I did several flights in the last 2 weeks where the temps were between 15F and 25F and didn't notice this. I'll keep my eyes open for it, though.

I had this problem. The only way to fix it was to move out of ND. :)

Could be the IMU calibration. I just watched this video by Captain Drone demonstrating Master Screw Foldable props for Phantom which may be related to your problem. Watch the 2 minutes between 4:00 and 6:00 of this VIDEO.
HTH

My first long flight, I experienced this. New drone. In position mode, and tripod mode, when I stopped from forward motion or reverse motion, the gimbal would snap back like whiplash. I called it in, and a gimal calibration was recommended. I tried it, and did a brief flight just above freezing, and didn't see it happen again. I have yet to fly longer and in colder conditions to verify that the issue had been resolved, but it's worth a try. Recal the gimbal.

shannon

researching the same issue - put up the drone (it did not get above 20 today) to view a huge tree which fell in my mothers yard. Gimbal was tilted and unresponsive - Shut it down and restarted both the drone and the controller with no change. Acted the same when I got home. It would do its little dance but it was not calibrated/level.

I brought it inside and looked at the gimbal calibration and it was working fine. I will assume that there is a temperature range somewhere under 30 that it just does not like.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS