DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA cloaking ability

Does this now technically mean we can only fly the Mavic 50m or so away to keep the LOS rule since you can't see it any further? ;) lol..

Has anyone tried putting reflectors/reflective tape on it? Wonder if that will help much?

Reactions: bostonvendetta
I make/sell these Mavic Air mounts. You won't be able to use them along with your landing gear though.

View attachment 33606

You could attach the lights to your landing gear with something like 3M Dual Lock.

These are cool! I've been struggling with where to mount my strobe. Do these work with Firehouse strobes as well? Specifically this one: https://www.firehousetechnology.com/store/p56/"ARC"_II_High_Intensity_Cree_LED_Strobe_Light_for_Drones_FAA_107_Compliant_NO_WIRING_NEEDED_Fits_all_Quadcopters_DJI_Inspire_Phantom_Typhoon_H_MAVIC_Q500_Spark_RC_Plane.html

Reactions: MavicFlyer
No. I'm not sure I could make them fit since the ARC II lights are quite large.

View attachment 33672
Really glad you put in the size comparison photo. What is the one with single LED? I thought there were also two and three LED versions. Do you know anything about their size?

It seems to me that I’d be better off with two smaller lights than one bigger one. It certainly would be easier to mount the smaller ones.

Think I'll try them with Velcro and possibly circle back and order from you if I don't like how they work.
Sounds like a plan. I have lots of STROBON Cree lights in stock and ready to ship today.

Anyone looked at wraps and whether there might be a bright/reflective one that might help?

I put the white camo wrap on my mpp it looks awesome but it is tough to spot, I find flashing the front lights helps.

Anyone looked at wraps and whether there might be a bright/reflective one that might help?

There is no point in wrapping the Mavic Air to increase it's visibility unless you're permanently flying it in beginner mode (limiting it to very close range). The moment you get ~50 meters away with any kind of background (trees, fences, etc) the Mavic Air will disappear regardless of what colour it is or what wrap you use. The only solution is flashing lights (hence all the strobe LEDs in this thread).

I bought a 4 LED strobe on Amazon for about $20, which was in a nice case, the back of which was a clip. It came with Velcro tape which would wrap around the midsection of the MA. You ran the Velcro tape through the clip that holds the flashing light, and then wrap the tape over itself. This is a great idea because nothing is glued onto the MA body.

https://www.amazon.com/Intensity-Qu...d=1521653274&sr=8-4&keywords=107+drone+strobe

I’m glad this experience gave me mounting ideas, because that was the only good thing about that purchase; the light was so poor that I hesitate to call it a strobe. I tried it out in the afternoon, with the “strobes” pointing straight down, and climbed straight up to 400’. I knew exactly where to look, and I spotted the MA, and had to stare at it to see it flash, and can honestly say this “strobe” would be of zero value in locating it, certainly in the daytime. Nighttime would obviously be more favorable, but I see no way you could spot it from 3 miles, unless you used binoculars!

The whole idea of strobes on an aircraft of any kind, is to get an observer’s attention. This one doesn’t cut it.

This thing is a pain to keep track of in the sky. I frequently read "I bought the red one, because it's easier to track...". An idiotic statement, since any Mavic air turns obsidian black once it leaves the ground. The position lights are a joke compared to even the Spark,

...look into Firehouse Cree Strobe Lights from Firehouse Technology. I purchased a two led unit but have not used it as of yet. Even though for night flying it is purported to be FAA 107 compliant and comes in various configurations such as 1, 2 or 4 bulbs...is rechargable... small enough to velcro to your MAir, negligible weight and comes in red or white. Reviews I read say that it increases daytime visibility. I am going to mount one on the underside of my Spark and Mavic Air in hopes of making my drone more visible during daytime VLOS operation. Just a suggestion.

Good idea on the free lights, I own the white one along with the red & green. Even with all 3 turned on....I lose sight of my MA during the day. So I recommend not attaching them (I use Velcro as well) to extend your battery flight time. They don’t weigh that much however. I haven’t used them at night/dish as yet, but I am SURE sighting your drone will be greatly improved and legal.
P.S. Firehouse rocks, I had 1 defective green led...they replaced it within 3 days and sent TWO replacements!

I also use the PGYTECH landing extensions. See photo to see where I have mounted my Cree LEDs. They have not interfered with videos, but I fly during the day. Night may be a different issue. I like to Velcro them facing the front so I have larger surface. The rear of the extension is another possibility as mentioned above, however that spot is very small. The third option would be on that side of the front extensions.

Attachments

• 1B560322-934E-4477-88C0-1AAE042A8800.jpeg
    1B560322-934E-4477-88C0-1AAE042A8800.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
I also use the PGYTECH landing extensions. See photo to see where I have mounted my Cree LEDs.

I attached the Firehouse Arc 2 (4 white LED), to the battery of my Mavic Air, pointing down. I used 3M Dual Lock low profile to attach the strobe.

I may not get a chance to fly until tomorrow, but I must say WOW!! This is one very bright strobe!!!

BTW, this mounting will NOT work without the leg extensions, unless you want the rear of the drone to rest on the strobe. Not a problem for me because I always fly with them.

A4105521-4257-4C87-AEDD-F0E8F0A1215E.jpeg 1DEAB4FF-3E9F-4F72-84E1-9A3D9ECA325C.jpeg 6A78CDD2-6B9E-4012-A5C3-F2C094917232.jpeg 0107BCBB-3D00-43BC-8409-F0224035203E.jpeg

I attached the Firehouse Arc 2 (4 white LED), to the battery of my Mavic Air, pointing down. I used 3M Dual Lock low profile to attach the strobe.

I may not get a chance to fly until tomorrow, but I must say WOW!! This is one very bright strobe!!!

BTW, this mounting will NOT work without the leg extensions, unless you want the rear of the drone to rest on the strobe. Not a problem for me because I always fly with them.

View attachment 34464 View attachment 34465 View attachment 34466 View attachment 34467

I have the exact same setup for my 4-light led.
Works well.
Great minds think alike! :)

There is no point in wrapping the Mavic Air to increase it's visibility unless you're permanently flying it in beginner mode (limiting it to very close range). The moment you get ~50 meters away with any kind of background (trees, fences, etc) the Mavic Air will disappear regardless of what colour it is or what wrap you use. The only solution is flashing lights (hence all the strobe LEDs in this thread).

During he day, I agree, at dusk or night, a totally different story.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3