DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA: Drone Flyers Chime In

Hello neighbors! Andover MA here. The Mavic travels with me and I fly where and when I can. Absolutely love the Mavic. Finally a flying camera that meets my expectation for flight, and form factor. Woot!

Newton here. Do most of my flying on the North or South shore coastline though.

I LIVE IN WAREHAM MA. NEW TO DRONES AND CANT WAIT FOR SPRING SO I CAN FLY MORE OFTEN AND GET SOME GREAT FOOTAGE.

Last edited:
I grew up in Newton, but live in Atlanta now.

What's going on with the drone ordinance in Newton? Most of what I've read deems that it's probably illegal, and certainly contrary to the FAA recommendations.

There's at least one lawsuit pending against it. Why haven't all of the local drone enthusiasts petitioned the city in the strongest possible terms?

Why would a city as supposedly-enlightened as Newton, with its excellent public schools and nearby universities, do something so anti-progress, anti-technology, and anti-creativity?

I grew up in Newton, but live in Atlanta now.

What's going on with the drone ordinance in Newton? Most of what I've read deems that it's probably illegal, and certainly contrary to the FAA recommendations.

There's at least one lawsuit pending against it. Why haven't all of the local drone enthusiasts petitioned the city in the strongest possible terms?

Why would a city as supposedly-enlightened as Newton, with its excellent public schools and nearby universities, do something so anti-progress, anti-technology, and anti-creativity?
Because Newton is full of uppity yuppies that are more concerned about their illusion of privacy. I am in the process of registering there since I don't see any way around it and I want to fly in Newton.

Reactions: Squamer
Tescalada if they don't answer leave a voicemail and you're covered.

For anyone familiar with Westport Ma here is some quick footage I shot over the weekend. Nothing special, still learning the ins and outs. Also took a lift off at my old school. Haven't been down there in years so it was nice to see nothing's changed.

Keep flying!

I don't believe just leaving a voicemail will cover you.
Live in Billerica and work in Waltham.

Everywhere I look I'm within 5 miles of several heliports, anyone know a good area where I can fly without needing to call airports that don't pick up?
I work in Waltham and have had some luck at Gore Place. I don't think you are required to inform heliports like hospitals and new stations, just airports.

I don't believe just leaving a voicemail will cover you.

I work in Waltham and have had some luck at Gore Place. I don't think you are required to inform heliports like hospitals and new stations, just airports.

All that's required is notification... email, voicemail, letter, skype, snailmail, notification is notification. Point me in the direction of it saying otherwise? That's been the general consensus on this forum at least.

Not an expert here, but not wasting 9 days to speak to someone either if they don't answer lol

All that's required is notification... email, voicemail, letter, skype, snailmail, notification is notification. Point me in the direction of it saying otherwise? That's been the general consensus on this forum at least.

Not an expert here, but not wasting 9 days to speak to someone either if they don't answer lol
Thanks for the quick reply.
I just got off the phone with the Hansom Air Field management office. It seems for recreational flight they will need to give authorizations not just receiving the notification. They said to just leave a message but to do it prior to your flight to give them time to response. Hope this helps anyone trying to fly in MA.
For Logan, I suspect there is no need to even try since the class B airspace surrounding it is a no fly zone anyways for recreational flyers.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I just got off the phone with the Hansom Air Field management office. It seems for recreational flight they will need to give authorizations not just receiving the notification. They said to just leave a message but to do it prior to your flight to give them time to response. Hope this helps anyone trying to fly in MA.
For Logan, I suspect there is no need to even try since the class B airspace surrounding it is a no fly zone anyways for recreational flyers.
Keep in mind Hanscom is a "military" outfit not a run of the mill airport like in Newburyport, New Bedford etc

Hanscom is actually a joint use airport civil/military and run by MassPort. (As are Worcester airport and Boston/Logan).
While there is an Air Force base area at the airport, it is MassPort that is in charge of airport operations there.
It is generally more a civilian airport and the ATC tower is civilian, (FAA).
While there may be some security issues with high-tech companies such as Mitre and Raytheon nearby,
the volume of military air traffic at Hanscom is light.

Hanscom is actually a joint use airport civil/military and run by MassPort. (As are Worcester airport and Boston/Logan).
While there is an Air Force base area at the airport, it is MassPort that is in charge of airport operations there.
It is generally more a civilian airport and the ATC tower is civilian, (FAA).
While there may be some security issues with high-tech companies such as Mitre and Raytheon nearby,
the volume of military air traffic at Hanscom is light.

Agreed. Hence the quotations as in mocking its a "military" base. Wouldn't surprise me though if that is why the guy on the phone told him he needs authorization when according to the FAA you don't need authorization but simply notification.

See this thread. They've argued it out for a bunch of posts
Regional Airport denied request to fly

JP here ...
Testing out the little bird. Really really impressive !
In heavy winds 20-25 mph; pretty darn stable.
Video is 'wow' ... so smooth.

Medford (Flying a P3A)

I'm just outside Logans airspace so I will do limited flights at my home. For some distance flight I've gone to Nahant. It's outside Logans airspace and just outside Beverly airspace so no calling needed at Nahant beach.

No sound on video, was just doing some range testing.

Medford huh, I grew up and spent 26 years off Salem street right by the Roberts middle school. Cool to see a fellow native!

Hi Sguamer, of course since we are both natives you know I typed Medford but what I meant was "Medfa"!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots