DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 aftermarket propeller breaks mid-air

Crashdummytest

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My aftermarket MA2 propeller broke mid-air at full throttle, at substantial height.
I just had those props lying around and put them on for a photo-op, and forgot about it.
IMG_2505.jpg

I'm not sure where they came from, probably amazon. Never buy those propellers.
The MA2 was maneuverable and could be hand-landed but was shaking like hell, not a good situation.
Nobody hurt, nothing bad came out of it.

My aftermarket MA2 propeller broke mid-air at full throttle, at substantial height.
I just had those props lying around and put them on for a photo-op, and forgot about it.
View attachment 121218

The MA2 was maneuverable and could be hand-landed but was shaking like hell, not a good situation.
Good thing you had 87.5% of your lift. I Think if the other half of the prop had separated the AC would have come down much faster and possibly, uncontrollably.

Buy a lottery ticket.

Is there anything printed or embossed on the props so we know what to avoid?

Reactions: Thomas B
View attachment 121218

Can you provide the brand so members know the brand to avoid?

I remember on Phantom Pilots someone finding fools on YT seeing how much they could mutilate the props and still fly. Admittedly the Phantom (3?) did rather well with half props and severely imbalanced ones.

Well, I'm surprised and glad to know that if half a prop breaks away from the MA2 in-flight, at least it can still have a controlled landing; it won't fall to the ground spinning out of control like it happened to me several times with a Parrot Anafi drone, that one suffers from a common problem with the props breaking away from the hub mid flight, and just one "half" of a prop breaking away will cause it to fall to the ground out of control! Not the case with the MA2 it seems.

I remember on Phantom Pilots someone finding fools on YT seeing how much they could mutilate the props and still fly. Admittedly the Phantom (3?) did rather well with half props and severely imbalanced ones.
Ha ha, yes. The MA2 is tough and light.. Anyway, I think I am finished with aftermarket propellers all together. For me it has only been hassle. The stock seems to be the best. My bird was shaking so hard that it was difficult to see it clearly..It was kind of fuzzy due to vibration. And that shaky thing I needed to hand-land otherwise disaster was certain. Great.

Well, I'm surprised and glad to know that if half a prop breaks away from the MA2 in-flight, at least it can still have a controlled landing; it won't fall to the ground spinning out of control like it happened to me several times with a Parrot Anafi drone, that one suffers from a common problem with the props breaking away from the hub mid flight, and just one "half" of a prop breaking away will cause it to fall to the ground out of control! Not the case with the MA2 it seems.
I am thoroughly impressed with the MA2 bird. However, it survived certain death only because one of the blades was still working on that propeller. Ouch. For me it spells it out: no aftermarket propellers. I have ordered the MAS though, will see about that.

View attachment 121218

For a photo op and forgot about it? Like your pre flight?

For a photo op and forgot about it? Like your pre flight?
Photos of my dear birds, on the ground :). Not photos BY the birds. And those cheap props I bought from somewhere, many months ago and was left lying around. They looked kind of cool together with the camo..
Those props where only used seriously one single time, when they broke! Crap. Or just unlucky. I threw them away, I think it was a no-name type. It was a pilot error, but nothing bad happened.

I should mention that it was -20 deg (celcius) when the props broke. I have flown a lot in the cold without anything like that happening. As curiosa I have a video from were the prop broke, but not of the accident itself. It happens somewhere here, I think it was a 5 minute flight back with missing blade: DJI_0305.MP4

Last edited:
I will investigate and post if I find anything.
Well come on then . . .

I can immediately see from your posted pic that there are markings quite visible on the blades
7238F (or P) and the CW pair are additionally marked!

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Well come on then . . .

I can immediately see from your posted pic that there are markings quite visible on the blades
7238F (or P) and the CW pair are additionally marked!
Right, it was

SUNNYLIFE 7238F Quick-release Low Noise Foldable Colorful Propeller Props Blade Set 4Pcs for DJI Mavic Air 2 RC Drone​

Now, I was flying in -20 degC. I had never used them for a serious mission before. It might be bad luck or some factor that makes it unfair to Sunnylife to diss their propellers, you know. I have to admit to pilot error, I was thinking of the MA2 as more of a toy at the time I bought those props. Now I know better. This was the area and trip where they broke (but not the accident itself): DJI_0305.MP4

Right, it was

SUNNYLIFE 7238F Quick-release Low Noise Foldable Colorful Propeller Props Blade Set 4Pcs for DJI Mavic Air 2 RC Drone​

Now, I was flying in -20 degC. I had never used them for a serious mission before. It might be bad luck or some factor that makes it unfair to Sunnylife to diss their propellers, you know. I have to admit to pilot error, I was thinking of the MA2 as more of a toy at the time I bought those props. Now I know better. This was the area and trip where they broke (but not the accident itself): DJI_0305.MP4
Well ... would in general always stay clear from aftermarket props with some exceptions. But this is what's stated in the MA2 specs ... plastic becomes very brittle in below freezing temps.

1610615735415.png

Ah yes, great point, I agree the -20 would undoubtedly be a factor,
I never bothered with aftermarket props because you cannot ‘see’ them in action ?

I did get some low noise ones for my mavic pro but the difference was negligible

Well ... would in general always stay clear from aftermarket props with some exceptions. But this is what's stated in the MA2 specs ... plastic becomes very brittle in below freezing temps.

View attachment 121694
But stating -10 means that it can handle severe cold :). Which it can! Usually I fly my M2P in that kind of weather.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98