DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Airdrop release device

svenmarbles

Reactions
I was browsing Amazon and it looks like they started making those airdrop release gizmos for the MA 2 now. I put in an order for one, seems like some stupid fun could be had with it.

Has anyone ever tried these things out before? Either this exact one or the variants they make for almost all the Mavic series?..

IMG_1667.JPG

Love it, I drop water bags on rocks in my back yard at 50 feet, I live on 5 acres no problems, I would not carry more than 1/2 to 3/4 lbs tops, it won't handle anymore have safe fun and don't get crazy with it.

Reactions: svenmarbles
Yeah I figure it could be fun to drop from a decent height on a target down below with the camera pointed straight down and the + enabled in the middle of the screen.

I’m enjoying mine. See here:

How To Deliver A Beer With A Drone (a Mavic Air 2 in particular!)

A couple things I'm not liking is how the sensor is held on with a Velcro strap and rubberbands. Also the holder for the sensor has a couple big gaps where light could get in and possibly trigger the sensor. I'm just finishing up a holder for the sensor that goes under the mounting bracket and locks in place without the need for a strap or rubberbands. I'll post some pics when it's done printing.

A couple things I'm not liking is how the sensor is held on with a Velcro strap and rubberbands. Also the holder for the sensor has a couple big gaps where light could get in and possibly trigger the sensor. I'm just finishing up a holder for the sensor that goes under the mounting bracket and locks in place without the need for a strap or rubberbands. I'll post some pics when it's done printing.

I’ve seen how the Velcro strap goes around to hold the sensor against the light, but where do you use the rubber band?

I’ve seen how the Velcro strap goes around to hold the sensor against the light, but where do you use the rubber band?

I think just extra security. Here's some pics of the stock holder and the gap along with the sensor holder I drew up and printed. You can see the little tabs with nubs on them to hold the sensor mount in place under the bracket in the last pic. I just need to put the sensor in it this evening.

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_191058554.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20201001_191058554.NIGHT~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20201001_193617640.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20201001_193617640.NIGHT~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20201001_193804776.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20201001_193804776.NIGHT~2.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: svenmarbles
Rubber bands and strap not a problem at all. Also normal lighting will not activate the release. It needs the strong intense light to open the device.

Rubber bands and strap not a problem at all. Also normal lighting will not activate the release. It needs the strong intense light to open the device.

I was getting it to open/close several times today by pointing the sensor towards a window without direct sunlight coming in. With the sensor holder I printed there's no need to mess with the strap or bands.

Last edited:
The sensor fit perfectly and is held in place with a dab of hot glue and the lid. I can post the files to Thingiverse if anyone wants them.

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_220010240.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201001_220010240.NIGHT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20201001_220156283.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20201001_220156283.NIGHT~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20201001_220329556.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20201001_220329556.NIGHT~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
The sensor fit perfectly and is held in place with a dab of hot glue and the lid. I can post the files to Thingiverse if anyone wants them.

Yes, please do!

I was browsing Amazon and it looks like they started making those airdrop release gizmos for the MA 2 now. I put in an order for one, seems like some stupid fun could be had with it.

Has anyone ever tried these things out before? Either this exact one or the variants they make for almost all the Mavic series?..

View attachment 114149
Just try to keep the device and load as close to center of gravity as possible or the drone works harder. Also be aware of the lifting weight for the drone (that includes the dropper's weight). Too much weight will overwork the motors. Also a hot day will cause a big jump in motors overheating. Finally hovering on a hot day with added weight is very hard on the motors so try to minimize these. Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54