DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safety of 3rd party chargers

twcurry

Reactions
Hello everyone. I just purchased a used M2P on ebay and had a quick question about the charger. I keep seeing, mostly from DJI, that the third party chargers are not recommended due to potential damage to the batteries. I would like to be able to charge the batteries quicker than one at a time, but I don't want to risk damaging them either. Can anyone share if they've experienced any issues with using something like this: RC GearPro 5 in 1 Rapid Multi Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Pro ? I see similar ones recommended by others on this forum. Also, does it make any sense to get a charger that shows the current voltage, or has discharge functions?

Appreciate your input!

Reactions: DougMcC
You shouldn't have any problems with charging your batteries using that particular charger.

Hello everyone. I just purchased a used M2P on ebay and had a quick question about the charger. I keep seeing, mostly from DJI, that the third party chargers are not recommended due to potential damage to the batteries. I would like to be able to charge the batteries quicker than one at a time, but I don't want to risk damaging them either. Can anyone share if they've experienced any issues with using something like this: RC GearPro 5 in 1 Rapid Multi Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Pro ? I see similar ones recommended by others on this forum. Also, does it make any sense to get a charger that shows the current voltage, or has discharge functions?

Appreciate your input!
Well, it is to DJI’s bottom line advantage to project fear, uncertainty, and doubt about third-party products.

The real question is whether that particular charger is a good product - don’t know.

I’ve been happy with VenomXTS and Hanatora multi-simultaneous chargers for various drones. It seems the Hanatora is sold by a different name in the UK, so likely typical Chinese manufacturing/marketing practices. Not bad, just to be aware of them.

The function I really value in these is charge-to-storage-level. That’s the one that will help me get max life out of my batts. Simultaneous is also very good. I don’t use discharge-to-storage much.

But that’s my battery management for flying - your mileage may vary!

Appreciate your input!
I've used this for years with no issues.Some batteries 3+years old.Discharges to storage voltage as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 11.34.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 11.34.59 AM.png
    989.9 KB · Views: 8
I've been using a 3rd party multi-charger since I got my M2Z for over 4 years. I believe it's the RC Geeks, but I'm not home right now and can't look. My charger does 4 batteries and the smart controller (usb c) at the same time. It has a switch for 65 or 100% charge level. All 3 of my original batteries still work great and show no sign of puffing at all. I always let them cool down completely before charging, and then charge to 65% setting if I'm done flying for the day. Just switch the charger to 100% and plug into the number of batteries you plan to use about an hour before you want to fly, and they'll all be ready to go.

Appreciate your input!
I use the YX brand multi-charger for Mavic 2. I have both 5-in-one and 6-in-one models (3/4 flight batteries + 2 USB devices). I find both models bulletproof and very reliable. The older unit has been in use constantly for the last four years. No swollen batteries and perfect balance charging every time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU