DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safety of 3rd party chargers

twcurry

Reactions
Hello everyone. I just purchased a used M2P on ebay and had a quick question about the charger. I keep seeing, mostly from DJI, that the third party chargers are not recommended due to potential damage to the batteries. I would like to be able to charge the batteries quicker than one at a time, but I don't want to risk damaging them either. Can anyone share if they've experienced any issues with using something like this: RC GearPro 5 in 1 Rapid Multi Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Pro ? I see similar ones recommended by others on this forum. Also, does it make any sense to get a charger that shows the current voltage, or has discharge functions?

Appreciate your input!

Reactions: DougMcC
You shouldn't have any problems with charging your batteries using that particular charger.

Hello everyone. I just purchased a used M2P on ebay and had a quick question about the charger. I keep seeing, mostly from DJI, that the third party chargers are not recommended due to potential damage to the batteries. I would like to be able to charge the batteries quicker than one at a time, but I don't want to risk damaging them either. Can anyone share if they've experienced any issues with using something like this: RC GearPro 5 in 1 Rapid Multi Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Pro ? I see similar ones recommended by others on this forum. Also, does it make any sense to get a charger that shows the current voltage, or has discharge functions?

Appreciate your input!
Well, it is to DJI’s bottom line advantage to project fear, uncertainty, and doubt about third-party products.

The real question is whether that particular charger is a good product - don’t know.

I’ve been happy with VenomXTS and Hanatora multi-simultaneous chargers for various drones. It seems the Hanatora is sold by a different name in the UK, so likely typical Chinese manufacturing/marketing practices. Not bad, just to be aware of them.

The function I really value in these is charge-to-storage-level. That’s the one that will help me get max life out of my batts. Simultaneous is also very good. I don’t use discharge-to-storage much.

But that’s my battery management for flying - your mileage may vary!

Appreciate your input!
I've used this for years with no issues.Some batteries 3+years old.Discharges to storage voltage as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 11.34.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 11.34.59 AM.png
    989.9 KB · Views: 9
I've been using a 3rd party multi-charger since I got my M2Z for over 4 years. I believe it's the RC Geeks, but I'm not home right now and can't look. My charger does 4 batteries and the smart controller (usb c) at the same time. It has a switch for 65 or 100% charge level. All 3 of my original batteries still work great and show no sign of puffing at all. I always let them cool down completely before charging, and then charge to 65% setting if I'm done flying for the day. Just switch the charger to 100% and plug into the number of batteries you plan to use about an hour before you want to fly, and they'll all be ready to go.

Appreciate your input!
I use the YX brand multi-charger for Mavic 2. I have both 5-in-one and 6-in-one models (3/4 flight batteries + 2 USB devices). I find both models bulletproof and very reliable. The older unit has been in use constantly for the last four years. No swollen batteries and perfect balance charging every time.