DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 doesn't do NTFS?

I always format my sdcard in the dron
I realize the higher the resolution, the bigger the file but from around 2006 on I shot in 1080 and some of the files were well over 4GB (some clips were over 20 minutes)...but then I didn't shoot fat32 either I always shot NTFS.
So has anyone seen the error I described above?
You can always use your PC's disk checking tool for peace of mind.

Also, sometimes if you eject your sdcard the old fashioned way by "right click -" eject" then that error message seems to go away

In the 1st result I saw this as an explanation...

"The simple reason is, that android/windows use a file alloction system that restricts the filesize to around 4GB. This is from the ancient times that no one ever thought you would need more then 1 GB storeage in a computer, since tapes where State Of The Art.
Apple uses another system and has no problem with bigger files.... "

is that what you mean regarding it being explained?
Because if it is I'm pretty sure that is not true...maybe android but not windows.
the quote above is not a great explanation:

32 bit computers used the fat or fat32 file systems and could only address 4GB of memory...64 bit architectures and their NTFS and exFat systems could address much more memory...

I do know that older MAC computers had some troubles with NTFS but they read/write exFat just fine

In any case DJI drones, at least the MA2 for me, only records in 4GB chunks until they decide not to!

Thats a common Windows 10 thing...try Googling it...I just ignore it
I think you must be right because whether I ignore it or let windows "repair" it makes no difference and it"repairs" it in under a second.
That said I've never seen it give that error unless there really was a problem with the card.

I think you must be right because whether I ignore it or let windows "repair" it makes no difference and it"repairs" it in under a second.
That said I've never seen it give that error unless there really was a problem with the card.
I see it much more with my USB thumb drives. Try the right click->eject route sometime and then see if the error still pops up on the next insertion....like I said, I click the error away most times and carry on without issues.

I always format my sdcard in the dron

You can always use your PC's disk checking tool for peace of mind.

Also, sometimes if you eject your sdcard the old fashioned way by "right click -" eject" then that error message seems to go away
I guess I'm old fashioned because I always eject (even tho I've heard for so many years it's not necessary ? )

the quote above is not a great explanation:

32 bit computers used the fat or fat32 file systems and could only address 4GB of memory...64 bit architectures and their NTFS and exFat systems could address much more memory...

I do know that older MAC computers had some troubles with NTFS but they read/write exFat just fine

In any case DJI drones, at least the MA2 for me, only records in 4GB chunks until they decide not to!
Thank you, you've been very helpful and I'm relieved it's not an isolated problem I have to deal with.
It's not even a big deal since they line up fine in post with no dropped frames but it does seem like DJI would decide to update it at some point.
Thanks again,
Randy

Reactions: jlatas
Thank you, you've been very helpful and I'm relieved it's not an isolated problem I have to deal with.
It's not even a big deal since they line up fine in post with no dropped frames but it does seem like DJI would decide to update it at some point.
Thanks again,
Randy
I think they used to drop some frames back in the early Phantom days but are much better now

I think they used to drop some frames back in the early Phantom days but are much better now
Thank goodness, dropped frames would be unacceptable....thanks again everyone!

Don't know why they do it. Seems arbitrary..It,s just the way that DJI codes their firmware.

My guess it that DJI wanted to avoid customers having to deal with extrememly large files in post production.

That's one reason. Another is that if they keep files under 4GB you can copy them to any filesystem.
The most likely is the video recorder was probably never updated for exFAT support, so although the drone has a embedded operating system with exFAT support the video part never asks what the filesystem / max file size is and has a hard coded maximum size.

Never assume a designed feature for something which can be explained by lazy programming.

DJI has refused to address this issue with exFAT since the days of theP3. I think they are content with the ability to join the segments in post. It is really annoying, but not a show stopper.

I just noticed a clip I was viewing from this morning shut off at 3.5GB...a limit of fat32 and exfat as I understand.
I let windows format to NTFS and MA2 rejects it (shows unavailable and asks if I want to record to internal storage). I formatted in MA2 and brought it back to PC and see it is back to exfat.
Is this normal?
NTFS has been the standard for US television for years...why would DJI limit us to fat?
Or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks,
Randy
I think you mean NTSC. It is a television standard in the US and several other countries. NTFS is a file system developed by Microsoft when they released the Windows NT OS. Apples and Oranges; they are not the same fruit.

DJI has refused to address this issue with exFAT since the days of theP3. I think they are content with the ability to join the segments in post. It is really annoying, but not a show stopper.
I'd be fine with exFAT if it can do more than 4GB files but mine are in 3.5GB chunks.

I think you mean NTSC. It is a television standard in the US and several other countries. NTFS is a file system developed by Microsoft when they released the Windows NT OS. Apples and Oranges; they are not the same fruit.
Yes that was stated above, thank you.

Yeah, that has to do with file allocation sizes and the fact that disk manufacturers typically use 1000 KBytes as a MB but operating systems use 1024 KBytes as a MB.
oh, you really do know your stuff!

My Canon DSLR did the same thing many years ago. There was speculation that the 4 gb limit was due to extra EU import fees if the camera was classifiable as a camcorder. It seemed to be an industry standard at the time. It was worse with the DSLR as the recording actually stopped.

I have a semipro video camera (Sony NX80). It uses the exFat file system for recording and it does not split recordings in 4 GB chunks, file size can continue to grow well past 4GB. So the file size limit of 4GB by DJI is in place, not because of file system limitations, but because DJI chose to place this limit . One explanation I have heard is there is less of an opportunity for the entire video take to be corrupted. I haven't tried it yet, but turning off the Spark while recording would corrupt the last video video segment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk