DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 doesn't do NTFS?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I just noticed a clip I was viewing from this morning shut off at 3.5GB...a limit of fat32 and exfat as I understand.
I let windows format to NTFS and MA2 rejects it (shows unavailable and asks if I want to record to internal storage). I formatted in MA2 and brought it back to PC and see it is back to exfat.
Is this normal?
NTFS has been the standard for US television for years...why would DJI limit us to fat?
Or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks,
Randy

Checking the top 6 search results all I see is someone saying it doesn't like NTFS but nothing as to why or if DJI is even aware of the issue...it seems like it would be in DJI's best interest to do whatever needs to be done to not limit the card to the fat format IMHO.
That said I did some searching to find out that Fat32 should limit to 4GB (mine get cut off at 3.5GB) and exfat does "much larger" as stated here so apparently I have a different issue altogether.
This is the card I use which I believe is more than fast enuf.

• The exFAT file system was introduced in 2006 and was added to older versions of Windows with updates to Windows XP and Windows Vista.
  • exFAT is optimized for flash drives—designed to be a lightweight file system like FAT32, but without the extra features and over head of NTFS and without the limitations of FAT32.
  • exFAT has very large limits on file and partition sizes., allowing you to store files much larger than the 4 GB allowed by FAT32

4GB is a limit of FAT/FAT32 but not exFAT.

Cameras generally only support FAT or exFAT, and it's traditionally been a pain getting anything other than Windows to read NTFS (unlikely to see it in a TV).

edit: posted a few seconds too late:)

Reactions: dawgpilot
Reactions: jlatas
NTSC is an analog color television standards
NTFS is one of the primary file systems of Windows

Just format the card in the drone and it will be happy with it.
Yes sorry I should have said Windows.
I did format in MA2 and only tried to change to NTFS when I saw it was limiting the sizes.
As mentioned, even with exfat this shouldn't be happening...maybe reformatting fixed the issue...I'll set it up here and just let the camera shoot the wall for 10 minutes to see what happens.

maybe reformatting fixed the issue...I'll set it up here and just let the camera shoot the wall for 10 minutes to see what happens.
It will continue to save in approx 3.7 GB blocks.
That's just how it is with many cameras, not just DJI.

Reactions: jlatas
On a PC, both NTFS and exFat file systems handle files greater than 4GB...the limit on DJI drones is imposed by DJI itself, not your memory cards...thats just the way they want it, I guess

On a PC, both NTFS and exFat file systems handle files greater than 4GB...the limit on DJI drones is imposed by DJI itself, not your memory cards...thats just the way they want it, I guess
But why, is there a reason that we know of?

It will continue to save in approx 3.7 GB blocks.
That's just how it is with many cameras, not just DJI.
I find that strange...I've owned many cameras and freelanced for TV and PBS for decades and never have seen that limitation in any of those cameras.

Reactions: hiflyer201
also every time I insert the card into the PC I get a windows error stating "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it."
Do yall get that too?

It's been discussed in many, many posts before.
You'll find a few explanations here:

Have you been shooting 4K video for them for years?
Thanks, I'll check those posts out, I had searched for other keywords.
No I never did deliver 4K but what does that have to do with limited file size?

But why, is there a reason that we know of?

I find that strange...I've owned many cameras and freelanced for TV and PBS for decades and never have seen that limitation in any of those cameras.

Don't know why they do it. Seems arbitrary..It,s just the way that DJI codes their firmware.

My guess it that DJI wanted to avoid customers having to deal with extrememly large files in post production.

4K video files are much bigger.
If you weren't shooting 4K, you probably never reached the 3.7GB limit.
I realize the higher the resolution, the bigger the file but from around 2006 on I shot in 1080 and some of the files were well over 4GB (some clips were over 20 minutes)...but then I didn't shoot fat32 either I always shot NTFS.
So has anyone seen the error I described above?

It's been discussed in many, many posts before.
You'll find a few explanations here:

Have you been shooting 4K video for them for years?
In the 1st result I saw this as an explanation...

"The simple reason is, that android/windows use a file alloction system that restricts the filesize to around 4GB. This is from the ancient times that no one ever thought you would need more then 1 GB storeage in a computer, since tapes where State Of The Art.
Apple uses another system and has no problem with bigger files.... "

is that what you mean regarding it being explained?
Because if it is I'm pretty sure that is not true...maybe android but not windows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998