DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 dropping after hand launch like a stone

MTM

Reactions
Hey Com,

i wanted to share my newest expierience. Unfortunately it wasnt a good one. Yesterday I went out to the mountains and wanted to take some nice footage as I do oftenly. I found a nice spot not far away from the summit and prepared everything. Since it was a very rocky area, I decided to hand lunch, which I have done dozens of times before. Everything was set up and I had the conformation to fly. I pressed both sticks down and the propellers startet to spin - as always. So i pushed up the left joystick and the drone started to lift up in the air a few centimeters and then - suddenly dropped like a stone to the ground, hitting some rocks and and spinning on its back until it switched off.

I was super shocked and couldnt replecate the situation. Propellers had some scratches but still looked okish to at least check again if the MA2 still would fly. I searched a good spot nearby where I could ground start the MA2 with my extened legs. Ok everything was set up - no warning, so I started the motor again. I pushed up the left joystick again and the MA2 lifted in the air.. for around 20 - 30 cm before it fell down with its face forwad, crashing into a rock. Now the gimbal is damaged and I opened a case with DJI.

I checked the logs but couldnt find anything suspicious - howerver I am not a pro at all. Maybe somone of this forum can read something out of it.

"Flight" no1:app.airdata.com/share/cFLMNm

"Flight" no2.:app.airdata.com/share/vvEACb

I never heared or red anything like this before. I thought the MA2 was pretty safe to fly unless you are doing a pilot mistake. I am curious to see what DJI will say and /or do!

Propellers on correct place? I have heard it is possible to put them on wrong motors, haven´t tried it myself, don´t want it anywhere near my "muscle memory" ?

Reactions: Mel 08
It wouldn't take off with a prop on, if possible, the wrong motor. That motor would be being forced downwards. It might flip but it wont take off. It has happened to a few people with the mini

Everything went so fast, that I cant remember in which direction i fell of the first time.
The Proppellers were defintley properly installed and on the right place. I flew many, many times with them without having any problems.

It wouldn't take off with a prop on, if possible, the wrong motor. That motor would be being forced downwards. It might flip but it wont take off. It has happened to a few people with the mini
Actually, there have been cases of props being fitted incorrectly but the drone still managed to get off the ground.... quickly followed by a pretty speedy exit from normal flight & uncontrolled return to terra ferma!

Everything went so fast, that I cant remember in which direction i fell of the first time.
The Proppellers were defintley properly installed and on the right place. I flew many, many times with them without having any problems.
I’d post your flight log and see what the experts have to say.

a guide can be found here

Actually, there have been cases of props being fitted incorrectly but the drone still managed to get off the ground.... quickly followed by a pretty speedy exit from normal flight & uncontrolled return to terra ferma!

I don't see how that's even physically possible for it to take off with the wrong prop on.

Last edited:
I don't see how that's even physically possible.
With the Mavic AIr 2 you can in fact put a prop on ANY motor. They are not designed to only be attached to just two motors as in previous models from DJI. This is why the Fly app shows the proper way to attach the props before takeoff.

With the Mavic AIr 2 you can in fact put a prop on ANY motor. They are not designed to only be attached to just two motors as in previous models from DJI. This is why the Fly app shows the proper way to attach the props before takeoff.

I'm saying I don't know how it's physically possible for any quad to take off with a prop on backwards.

How?
Props driven in the wrong direction are actively pushing air upwards, so at best only 3 props are producing lift and one is producing down thrust. As soon as the landing gear left the ground its going to start tipping.
If two props are accidentally swapped then, assuming props on a diagonal rotate in the same direction, one side of the drone is pushed downward whilst the opposite side is lifted.

Sorry but I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe it is physically possible with a quad copter

Reactions: tiwag
MTM, can you post the txt flight log from you phone to here? The DAT flight log would probably be useful too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not with the MA2, if the props are incorrectly fitted they will spin up but shut down and flag message check prop fittment....
dont ask how i know this as all I will say is a friend told me.

Not with the MA2, if the props are incorrectly fitted they will spin up but shut down and flag message check prop fittment....
dont ask how i know this as all I will say is a friend told me.
Ah, ok. My examples had come from the original MA, when some had managed to force the wrong props on. Can’t back you up with the MA2 cos I’ve never done it (well, at least ‘my friend’ got no further than fitting the without starting the motors! ) ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Putting one or more props on the wrong motor , is sadly something that can happen on the MA2
and it has to do with the recent lawsuit with autel about the way the props are fitted to the hubs
as stated above its very difficult to do on the earlier mavic models, because apart from the coloured ring one two of the props centers that correspond to the white marks on the correct motors there are lugs underneath the hubs that match cutouts in the prop hub fixing
i am sure that it would be possible ,to make a mistake out in the field to fit at least one prop on a wrong motor ,and that would result in what the OP experienced upon take off
as he said it all happens very quickly

Reactions: Shawn Paul
yes I agree....the props start and drone lift of maybe an inch or two but then shuts down with flags....if it were a hand launch and you sense t/o hen removed the hand it would drop.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Ok so was just thinking in the shower what "my friend" did and i need to qualify my statement.

It was a auto t/o from the ground and the drone props spun up and attempted lift off but barely unweighted itself from the ground then the flags appeared. it was vibrating quite alot and it would have smashed for sure.
If it were a hand launch like the OP and a manual t/o I cant catergorically say the protection is there. Need a wiring diagram!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan