DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 dropping after hand launch like a stone

The OP stated that he flew his MA2 numerous times with the same props without issue, and didn't change or modify them before these two fateful flights, so, it would seem that how the props were installed is not the issue.

Can confirm again that it was definitely not a mistaking of propellers positioning. They were exactly where they should be for many flights before. It seemed like the motors were throttling down after the first little push in the air..

I attached the .Dat files which are related to the two flight attempts. Maybe someone can figure out more?

Attachments

• 20-08-16-10-44-05_FLY064.DAT
    936.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20-08-16-10-46-00_FLY065.DAT
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20-08-16-10-48-41_FLY066.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 4
  • 20-08-16-10-48-42_FLY066.DAT
    279.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm saying I don't know how it's physically possible for a quad to take off with the wrong prop on it.

If it tipped in the same direction both times it's probably the ESC.
I didn't say it would take off
I said you can put them on the wrong way round

I didn't say it would take off
I said you can put them on the wrong way round

I know but you quoted me responding that the pros can go on the wrong way. My post wasn't regarding props being able to go on the wrong way, I was just saying I don't see how a quad can take off with the wrong prop on. I've edited my original reply to make it more clear for people.

How high up were you? Thin mountain air?

I have gone through the two .DAT files and my findings are :

case 1 : For unknown reasons, the flight controller did not command the motors to increase the thrust although all sensors indicated that the craft was losing altitude.

case 2 : Some kind of internal problems occurred causing the flight controller to shut down the motors while the craft was still in the air

Case 1 details

The craft hit the ground at the belly 5.05 sec after the motors were started. The shock was about 6.5g so it was quite hard.
1597830628636.png

All sensors including the IMU, barometer and GPS indicated that the craft was losing altitude prior to the impact :
1597830697412.png

However, the motors did not increase their speeds to maintain the altitude :
1597830759445.png

Because the flight controller did not tell them to do so. However, the flight controller did try to correct the craft's attitude ( rolled to one side ) after the impact :
1597830819533.png

Nothing unusal was seen in the event log. All were just completion of takeoff, home point update, etc.
1597830939125.png

Case 2 details

Impact occurred at 4.47 sec. The craft hit the ground at the nose before coming to rest upside down as reported by the OP. As the craft dropped from a lower height and the props have probably cushioned the impact, the shock was lower ( 2.6 g )
1597831097291.png

The motors were turned off by the flight controller just before the impact :
1597831164564.png
1597831193184.png

The event log shows that the flight controller was not happy with the takeoff. It is noticed that the craft was not level but tilted by about 19 degrees prior to takeoff. Not sure if it has anything to do with the event.

1597831253709.png

Last edited:
Impressive Analysis Boblui! Thank you a lot for your time and effort!
What do you think was the cause for all that? Pilot error - which I would doubt from my side as the pilot (especially in Case 2 since I was starting from the ground) or did the transmission between remote and Drone not work properly? Was it interfered? I am still full of question marks..

Reactions: TheRock
What do you think was the cause for all that?

In both cases, the flight controller behaved abnormally so my best guess is that some software glitches have caused the crash. I still find it quite hard to believe because it happened two times consecutively. Anyway, there is a high chance that DJI will replace or repair it for free as it was definitely not pilot error.

I have seen reports of this over a few years on other DJI. Nothing implied to the OP, but the cause was a bit of operator error on hand launch. People were pulling their hand away right at prop throttle up, instead of a quick blip hard on throttle and going up and establishing a hover. As such the aircraft didn't know it was airborne and didn't throttle to hold height. Doesn't sound like the case here, but that is the closest I saw the behavior in past.

In Practice I always "Boost" up 2 foot from hand launch to ensure aircraft is free/clear of my head, I have seen people "milk" it up on throttle, which doesn't seem like the best practice IMHO.

Reactions: Tufargon
I have seen reports of this over a few years on other DJI. Nothing implied to the OP, but the cause was a bit of operator error on hand launch. People were pulling their hand away right at prop throttle up, instead of a quick blip hard on throttle and going up and establishing a hover. As such the aircraft didn't know it was airborne and didn't throttle to hold height. Doesn't sound like the case here, but that is the closest I saw the behavior in past.

In Practice I always "Boost" up 2 foot from hand launch to ensure aircraft is free/clear of my head, I have seen people "milk" it up on throttle, which doesn't seem like the best practice IMHO.
Thank you. Something I will definately keep in mind. It makes total sense.

Yep agree mentioned that in post 19..

Yep agree mentioned that in post 19..
As I read yours, you were still talking about props on wrong (Flags)? Mine is more not giving the drone time to know it is actually flying. One can see the affect if you rev motors on a ground take off, drone doesn't automatically engage flight mode. I believe the barometer must sense a bit of change, but how much change I have no idea. That's why I purposefully send that sucker skyward :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair