DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 fly more on a US plane?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I can't find a solid answer regarding batteries on google...does anyone happen to know what restrictions I'll be facing?

I knew it had to be carry-on but this is the part I found confusing-

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams).

I knew it had to be carry-on but this is the part I found confusing-

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams).
There's no need to be confused.
Your batteries have their capacity (in watt hours) printed on them.
And they are well below the 100 Wh limit anyway.

I just flew today with a flymore in a Nanuk case. TSA normally has no clue what they are even looking at. My first hand experience from the 10+ years flying RC stuff is that TSA has absolutely no clue what they are looking at 100% of the time. Just walk through and you'll be fine.

I just flew today with a flymore in a Nanuk case. TSA normally has no clue what they are even looking at. My first hand experience from the 10+ years flying RC stuff is that TSA has absolutely no clue what they are looking at 100% of the time. Just walk through and you'll be fine.
That's what I wanted to hear!
Thanks everyone :)

I've made many, many flights with my M2P. The airlines say your batteries MUST be in carry-on bags. TSA never even asked me.

Reactions: MavicPeter
I can't find a solid answer regarding batteries on google...does anyone happen to know what restrictions I'll be facing?
I have flown numerous times on American Airlines, United, and Delta using the lipo bands from Amazon in my carry on drone case. Never a problem. Put into the overhead and don't worry about it. Go to Amazon, and search for LIPO bags.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I keep a screenshot of the TSA rule on my phone, just in case. No need to use it thus far.

Off topic a bit but I have not taken the drone on a plane out of the US. Obviously, its TSA on the way out. But I wonder what foreign TSA-equivalent folks would do on the flight back to the US. Not that many countries will have us these days. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I have flown numerous times on American Airlines, United, and Delta using the lipo bands from Amazon in my carry on drone case. Never a problem. Put into the overhead and don't worry about it. Go to Amazon, and search for LIPO bags.
Thanks

Although popular on forums, no airline or airport safety authority requires Lipo bags.
The TSA people wouldn't even know what they are.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Although popular on forums, no airline or airport safety authority requires Lipo bags.
When my wife flew out to where I was she jut put my MA batteries in a ziplock bag - no problems or questions checking in

I keep a screenshot of the TSA rule on my phone, just in case. No need to use it thus far.

Off topic a bit but I have not taken the drone on a plane out of the US. Obviously, its TSA on the way out. But I wonder what foreign TSA-equivalent folks would do on the flight back to the US. Not that many countries will have us these days. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
I should add that I took the drone to Zambia and Madagascar with me on Qatar Airways. No problems at all.(carry on,lipo bags).

Reactions: Made2Phly

Correct that they do not require bags. However, the FAA does require that they are protected from damage and shorting by touching other metal. Not sure this is ever enforced, but is a good idea anyway. I use 3d printed caps and make sure they are packed "snugly". Here's the language:

Batteries must be protected from damage.

Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

Don't worry about it. I've flown with a Mavic with battery attached and several spares in Lipo bags in carry-on to several countries in southern Africa and the far east with no problems. Different matter in for example Egypt, Cuba or Nicaragua where it's no drones fullstop, so no drone no batteries. Only time I had a problem was when carrying a hefty underwater scooter to Egypt with it's ni-cad battery in the hold. Got requested to leave my seat before take off to identify said suspicious battery but once explained to security at the baggage hold I was good to go. Apparently no spontaneous combustion issues since it wasn't Lipo.

Don't worry about it. I've flown with a Mavic with battery attached and several spares in Lipo bags in carry-on to several countries in southern Africa and...
I've never heard of a Lipo bag but is it safe to assume I don't have to use one and that I can just leave the batteries in their slots of my Nanuk 915 case?
I don't mean to drive this into the ground but I want to make sure I don't have any issues since one of the main reasons I'm going to my destination is to get footage with the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyved