DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Lifthor Tablet Mount

Brockrock

Reactions
On May 16, 2020, it was announced here that Lifthor had a tablet mount in the making - on a pre-order basis - for the MA2, and since I fly most of the time with an iPad, and have heard only good things about their products, I went ahead and pre-ordered. The mount then shipped on June 17th from Norway, I received it on June 19th, and yesterday, I had a chance to fly three batteries and check it out.

Overall, I found the mount to be very solid and very well built. It consists of three separate parts - the aluminum main-bracket that fits around the RC, an aluminum locking-bracket that mounts to the main-bracket with four thumbscrews, and the plastic tablet mount that affixes to the swivel head on the locking-bracket. Mine also came with a lanyard and Lifthor's Type-C to Lightning Cable, both of which were included in the pre-order.

As far as fitment goes, the brackets mount very securely to the RC, and the areas where contact is made with its plastic housing, there are rubber pads. With my 10.5" iPad Pro, I found the setup to be very well balanced hanging from the lanyard around my neck, and since I usually hand launch and catch, I felt fully confident letting it hang free without any concern that the iPad would shift or fall out. The best part is, this mounting system places no stress whatsoever on the Air 2's newly designed antenna system like the traditional Mavic-series tablet mount systems do - as it does not make any contact with it at all - and IMO, this is where it really shines. Also, at the base of the main bracket, there is a threaded receiver for placing the mount onto a tripod, if one were so inclined.

The one issue that I do see going forward, is that with the mount installed on the RC, it will not fit in the FMC bag or my Nanuk case, and this means repeatedly installing and removing the mount for transporting the RC in either of these cases. Not only does that add time to setup and breakdown, but the four thumbscrews are fairly small, made of aluminum, and they have a fairly fine thread. As such, I think stripping them from repeated placement and removal is almost certain. I have sent an email to Lifthor requesting the size and thread pitch of these screws in order to source something similar Stateside, and for now, I plan to simply leave it installed. The few times that I may need to pack down light - hiking, motorcycle... - I can remove it and simply use my phone in the tradition fashion. Most of the time however, I drive my car, so room is not an issue.

Lastly, if/when Lifthor replies with information regarding the thumbscrew size/thread pitch, I will post back with a solution for spares.

Lastly, lastly... @EmpireDroneCompany posted in a thread that they have this mount available, and since they are an approved vendor here, buying from them supports them as well as Lifthor..

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

i ordered the one for the original mavic controllers, that they bought out at the same time, and flew with it yesterday for the first time, it is very well made and after flying with it i found it to be great, i agree that the only issue is packing it away when not in use, another good thing about it is the fact that using it allows the built in screen of the controller to be seen, when it is attached ,i use a harness to support my RC and device and as you say it balances nicely if you let go of the RC, or use one hand if you want to hand catch

Yep ..agreed .. but if you need a full blown iPad mount it’s going to be bulky .. I bought a £5 3D printed mount for my iPad mini .. no bits to screw together and v light ..l

OMG, that holder is huge.?

Wouldn’t be my cup of tea.
Yes, it is big, and as @Gkinghrn mentioned above, it would be a bit much for anything other than the full size tablets. In my case, the 10.5" iPad Pro was just too much with my MavMount 3 or any of those type of brackets. I had it fall out twice which caused no damage due to the lanyard, and I also felt like it was placing too much stress on the antenna assembly.

When my current iPad reaches its useful life, I plan to buy whatever the most current Mini is. They have come a long way over the years, and I'm sure a Mini would meet my needs as a flight monitor and editing tool.

i like my 9.7 6th gen WIFI ipad as it is easy for my old eyes to see, and combined with a hood i have no issues in sunny conditions, and it is used on both my drones as a dedicated device, and i can easily fly the 4 batts of the MPP and the 4 batts of the MM and still have 40% charge left in it ,because i have deleted or closed down all apps except those needed for flying, i dont have any issues with it overheating or shutting off i also do not cache to device ,all these things make it a very good device for drone flying

Reactions: Brockrock
I prefer something lighter, less complicated and easier to carry

The best part is, this mounting system places no stress whatsoever on the Air 2's newly designed antenna system like the traditional Mavic-series tablet mount systems do - as it does not make any contact with it at all - and IMO, this is where it really shines. Also, at the base of the main bracket, there is a threaded receiver for placing the mount onto a tripod, if one were so inclined.

The one issue that I do see going forward, is that with the mount installed on the RC, it will not fit in the FMC bag or my Nanuk case, and this means repeatedly installing and removing the mount for transporting the RC in either of these cases. Not only does that add time to setup and breakdown, but the four thumbscrews are fairly small, made of aluminum, and they have a fairly fine thread. As such, I think stripping them from repeated placement and removal is almost certain.
Your experience with Lifthor mounts is similar to mine. They are expensive! I bought one for the original EVO, to replace the poorly designed single screw mount. The Lifthor design is huge, and takes forever to install, and removal is also a pain with tiny screws. The only practical way to use it is to leave it fully assembled, which completely defeats the small portable setup of any foldable drone. I finally ended up removing it when I discovered that it also had a significant impact on the range of the EVO. The mount is well made and secure, but not designed for easy removal and compactness. I ultimately used an S type extender for the original phone holder, which took up no space and did not interfere with the antennas. Not as secure, but far more practical.

I just received mine today. Is it just me or does the cable look like a type-c to type-c (or something) with a lighting adapter attached with heat shrink?

I do like that it puts NO stress at all on the antennas but honestly I'm not really impressed.

Last edited:
I just received mine today. Is it just me or does the cable look like a type-c to type-c (or something) with a lighting adapter attached with heat shrink?

I do like that it puts NO stress at all on the antennas but honestly I'm not really impressed.
This is the one I like best, and am using with the MA2. Good balance, and the iPad is suspended neutrally, directly over the RC, with minimal additional weight. Only $23.

Reactions: GARhythm

I have used the mount a bunch of times since starting this thread, and I have gotten to really like it. I do leave it on the RC, and I transport the RC in a backpack with other assprted things I like to have with me, while the copter itself is in a Nanuk case with the batteries. I prefer the Nanuk case over the FMC case, as I always felt like I was digging through it trying to rotate the batteries. As far as the cable goes, yes, it is custom made, but I have found it to be very reliable, and for my large iPad, it's the perfect size.

I lea
I have used the mount a bunch of times since starting this thread, and I have gotten to really like it. I do leave it on the RC, and I transport the RC in a backpack with other assprted things I like to have with me, while the copter itself is in a Nanuk case with the batteries. I prefer the Nanuk case over the FMC case, as I always felt like I was digging through it trying to rotate the batteries. As far as the cable goes, yes, it is custom made, but I have found it to be very reliable, and for my large iPad, it's the perfect size.
I leave mine (the PGYTECH one) attached as well, and carry it in a separate backpack, too! Just easier overall. So far, just using the Combo case for the batteries and the aircraft. Without the RC, it leaves comfortable room for the aircraft and the three batteries, although not really happy with the weird zipper access that doesn't really fold open properly. Waiting for a Smatree style case. Looks like its available! Just ordered!
Pricey, but I really like their case for the M2, so pretty sure this will work well, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockrock
As this mount leaves the antenna part untouched, I am experimenting with some reflector types ...

MA2_Lifthor_reflector.png

Do you really need them with OcuSync 2?
6 miles is already farther than the battery will safely support on a round trip!
Like I said; It's an experiment.

Like I said; It's an experiment.
I'm interested, because I have always used a windsurfer on my Mavic 2 antennas to get a full 5 miles. I would like to do the same with the MA2. Anything to concentrate the signal directionally will be a benefit! Keep us posted!

I like the mount but will be using my own cable.

A true right angle cable should not stick that far out, that's the whole point of a right angle. I have short 1' Lighting to USB-C without a right angle that sticks out as far as this "right angle". I would use it before something made with an adapter, but don't because how far it sticks out. I guess I'll keep using my 3' right angle Lighting to USB-C.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    939.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I like the mount but will be using my own cable.

A true right angle cable should not stick that far out, that's the whole point of a right angle. I have short 1' Lighting to USB-C without a right angle that sticks out as far as this "right angle". I would use it before something made with an adapter, but don't because how far it sticks out. I guess I'll keep using my 3' right angle Lighting to USB-C.
Yeah, I do have the 3' Apple Type C to Lightning that I had been using, and since I like to always have a spare, I always have it with my while flying if needed.

This is the one I like best, and am using with the MA2. Good balance, and the iPad is suspended neutrally, directly over the RC, with minimal additional weight. Only $23.
What length cable and brand are you using? I will be using a 10.5 " tablet. I like the two 90 degree ends like the included cables have.

What length cable and brand are you using? I will be using a 10.5 " tablet. I like the two 90 degree ends like the included cables have.
I haven't found anything shorter than 26-36” with a Lightning right angle cable to protect the iPad port. No real need for a right angle connector on the RC side. It's already protected, and the only reason the stock cable is right angle is to fit connected inside with the antenna collapsed.
This $15 three foot one one is half the price of the 26” one. Just one more loop.
I tested it, and it works fine!
"cable also supports data transfer"

Reactions: bp328i and GARhythm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes