DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2/Mini 2... Why the giant controller????

You actually have 2 scenarios and 2 sets of needs. One where you need to carry everything; batteries, charger, cables, etc. For me the included case works just fine for this. However when you're going out for the day (or an overnight hike) and want to travel light, you'd just have the drone, controller, and a spare battery or two. That's when you want everything as minimal as possible. The controller would only need to last as long as 2-4 batteries in the drone, so a couple of hours.

Reactions: dulcificum
For you, it wasn't broke. For most people, the new controller is much better. Everyone has different things they find comfortable, but from reviews and forums posts (which is not scientific) it seems like the vast majority find the new controller better. Not just comfort, but positioning of screen and ease of setup, wire storage, battery life, etc....
For most people? Perhaps saying for MANY people might be more accurate. Everyone has their preferences. I just thought/think the extra weight and size was needless. As others have stated, the MA2 controller is roughly the same size as he Smart Controller. So, if DJI could pack so much more into the same size why did they go with such a large size and weight without any more features? The M2 controller weighing almost 3 ounces less at least has a display. FWIW, the MA2/MM2 controller weighs 388 grams while the the M2 controller weighs 315 grams a full 73 grams (2.6 ounces).

Here's another "feature" that I failed to mention. On the "smaller" controllers there are separate buttons for photos and videos. With the two buttons you don't have to look to make sure you toggle into the correct mode with a single switch. The right button took pictures, the left took videos. I found it took/takes far less cerebral attention. I know it's a simple matter of training and acclimatization to a different system, but the one button system makes it easier to be in the wrong mode. And, to switch modes you have to take one of your hands off the sticks. Perhaps not a big deal, but less convenient nonetheless.

Thoughts? What can you do, nothing so move on, sorry but that’s it!

• Haha
Reactions: THE CYBORG
I can only compare the MA2/MM2 controller with the horrid little thing my brother has with his Spark,no comparison for me at all.the new controller is neat ,solid and well made ,more like a proper fixed wing controller .
i use a 5th gen ipad mini with a lithor mount i love it.no not tiny but very functional.

Reactions: Lastrexking
For most people? Perhaps saying for MANY people might be more accurate. Everyone has their preferences. I just thought/think the extra weight and size was needless. As others have stated, the MA2 controller is roughly the same size as he Smart Controller. So, if DJI could pack so much more into the same size why did they go with such a large size and weight without any more features? The M2 controller weighing almost 3 ounces less at least has a display. FWIW, the MA2/MM2 controller weighs 388 grams while the the M2 controller weighs 315 grams a full 73 grams (2.6 ounces).

Here's another "feature" that I failed to mention. On the "smaller" controllers there are separate buttons for photos and videos. With the two buttons you don't have to look to make sure you toggle into the correct mode with a single switch. The right button took pictures, the left took videos. I found it took/takes far less cerebral attention. I know it's a simple matter of training and acclimatization to a different system, but the one button system makes it easier to be in the wrong mode. And, to switch modes you have to take one of your hands off the sticks. Perhaps not a big deal, but less convenient nonetheless.
I agree 100% about the switching between recording a video and taking a photo, very cumbersome. You have to go into the app, then pull out a menu, then make your selection.

I agree 100% about the switching between recording a video and taking a photo, very cumbersome. You have to go into the app, then pull out a menu, then make your selection.
No you dont ,button top right of right stick switches between photo and video . ;)

Reactions: Lastrexking

I'm not sure why you want to bold and discuss the accuracy of my semantics. Most means the greatest number. By definition, with two choices, if more than 50% of the people prefer the new controller to the other, that is most . I even stated right within my post that you quoted, that my determination of "most" was not scientific, but was estimated from forum posts and posted reviews, where the vast majority (but definitely not all) seem to prefer the new one. If I wanted to be certain, I would need a real random selection poll or study, define the required confidence interval and then determine a sample size big enough to get an acceptable margin of error to be absolutely certain my statement is accurate. Since I have no interest in doing that, I'll stand by the statement that the anecdotal evidence we have certainly points to the fact that "most" (in other words, more than half) prefer the new controller. I've read or watched dozens of reviews on the Mavic Air 2 controller, and for everyone that reviewed the remote, I can't think of one that stated the old one was better (at least since the very first reviews when we realized there is a pause function). I'm sure there are some reviews that stated that, but comparatively, very few.

When the drone was announced, there was a big thread right on this forum where the majority (most) of the posters were put-off by the size (from the pictures). Now that people have had it, it has flipped the other way. In this thread alone, you have 8 people who have stated a preference for the new one, one person who preferred the old one, 2 who like both the same (one depending upon flying with phone or tablet), and a couple who have never used it that made comments against the new one. So, basically out of real users 8 to 1 in favor of the new controller in this thread. Again, that's not enough data to represent everyone, but as I said, the evidence we have points to "most" preferring the new one.

As for the size, I've already posted in this thread that it is NOT the same size as the Smart Controller. The new controller is much closer in size to the old one then it is to the Smart Controller. I own all 3. I've measured all 3. I've used all 3. That said, the Smart Controller still fits in my Flymore bag, so even though still bigger, it's small enough for me.

All that said, even though I like the new one better, there are a couple of things I like about the old one better. I could fit an Ipad mini without an adapter, the buttons you mentioned for filming, plus in a panic, I think the separate pause button is still a benefit for people instead of remembering to tap RTH. Those things don't outweigh my feelings the other way, but there are advantages each way.

For me, I would never carry the controller in my pocket in the first place, but my main objection to the old controller is that I constantly have the feeling that my phone is going to fall out of it. I like the sticks on the outside and the super fast and stable set up for flight with the Air 2. Why do I probably fly my Air1 more? I don't know..I guess I just love that noisy little devil.

NP,also the left function button combined with the gimbal wheel is great for the zoom function on the MA2 not sure if the mini has this though.
I don't think so. But to the controller's credit it does have a function where you can set it to point straight down, then recenter as needed. Recently DJI updated the button to have single click and double-click functionality as well as additional functions it didn't have when it was released. Still, all this and more is included with the smaller M2 controller.

It just seems to me that the Mini 2, beyond staying beyond the arbitrary and capricious 250 gram weight limit that seems now to be the holy grail weight limit of some governmental aviation agencies, one would also want a compact and light weight controller to compliment the package. If you're honest, the smaller controller did lend itself more to travel and casual excursions where you just want to drag your little drone along, just in case.

Reactions: Viva Terlingua
I always hated the Mini 1 controller. The new one is so much more comfortable to hold, faster to get set up and flying, much better battery life, includes phone charging and in reality it’s not massive anyway. Side by side with a phone attached and antennas extended it’s not a big size difference.,

I always hated the Mini 1 controller. The new one is so much more comfortable to hold, faster to get set up and flying, much better battery life, includes phone charging and in reality it’s not massive anyway. Side by side with a phone attached and antennas extended it’s not a big size difference.,
Maybe the op has tiny hands ....and the controller seems massive :D:D:D

Yes, the Mini 2 also uses the function button to zoom in or out using the gimbal wheel.
Is that documented somewhere? This thing is full of easter eggs. After seeing your reply teeroy I googled Mini 2 zoom and saw a quick tutorial. I guess you can also do dolly zooms with the Mini 2 now, though I think you need to be at 1080p to get the full effect, no? I knew you could do this with a MA2, but can't with the M2 Pro. Can you do a dolly zoom at a higher resolution with the MA2 than the MM2?

Is that documented somewhere? This thing is full of easter eggs. After seeing your reply teeroy I googled Mini 2 zoom and saw a quick tutorial. I guess you can also do dolly zooms with the Mini 2 now, though I think you need to be at 1080p to get the full effect, no? I knew you could do this with a MA2, but can't with the M2 Pro. Can you do a dolly zoom at a higher resolution with the MA2 than the MM2?
the zoom feature is 2X at 4k, or 4X @1080. it just came recently with one of the last firmware updates. Been too cold up here to really test it out, I'm eager to try the dolly zoom.

the zoom feature is 2X at 4k, or 4X @1080. it just came recently with one of the last firmware updates.
I knew I could zoom with the little button on the screne but had no idea I could "scroll zoom". Thanks for the tip.

I wish the MA2 controller had another Function button(s) rather than double tapping, tapping, etc.

Feels like I'm a telegraph operator sending Morse code. ?

My Spark controller has two Fn buttons and makes it easier to select an option.

The mini4 fits both of them and I use a lanyard so I never thought about constantly having to hold the controller at all times.

the zoom feature is 2X at 4k, or 4X @1080. it just came recently with one of the last firmware updates. Been too cold up here to really test it out, I'm eager to try the dolly zoom.
you can use the zoom at 2x at 4k on the MA2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078