DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2/Mini 2... Why the giant controller????

Picture says it all! But all those cases are massive overkill for a more remote shoot.

For me it's nicer to hold and especially having smartphone on top. but it sure affects pocketablitity of it. Especially for something as tiny as Mini. Not that the controller is that much bigger anyway but it is crossing the threshold of easily pocketable.

So for me it's one of those tradeoffs. Would i like smaller controller... sure.. Do i like the screen on top and extra battery life... sure. I would probably be fine with either one with their own pros and cons. But if lack of occusync would be one of those cons then the choice is easy.

Reactions: dulcificum
It's completely reasonable to prefer the larger controller. Especially if your typical flying is in a local park or a short distance from a car. This might even be the most common usage of the Mini 2 given many people are choosing it over the MA2 for regulation reasons more than because they value the light weight in an of itself.

However, it's completely unacceptable to make the larger controller the only option. For those of us who use the MM2 solely because it is packable and light, losing all those amazing advantages and technical design due to a much bigger and heavier controller is infuriating. DJI should also offer a fast and light controller at least as an option to make use of their clever engineering in non car/park use cases and for those shooting beautiful footage in the backcountry, off the beaten path and in remote place.
You echoed my point exactly. After great success with a smaller controller with the Mavic 2 which has Ocusyn 2.0, why did they do that to the MA2... and then migrate it to the Mini 2? Small portability of the drone itself, h only cancelled by a required piece of equipment that requires a larger case.

For me it's nicer to hold and especially having smartphone on top. but it sure affects pocketablitity of it. Especially for something as tiny as Mini. Not that the controller is that much bigger anyway but it is crossing the threshold of easily pocketable.

So for me it's one of those tradeoffs. Would i like smaller controller... sure.. Do i like the screen on top and extra battery life... sure. I would probably be fine with either one with their own pros and cons. But if lack of occusync would be one of those cons then the choice is easy.
While I can see some merits of the controller and how some even prefer it. In terms of use, I have no issues with ither. And it's not even so much the size of the controller itself, except that: 1) It's heavier. 2) It's bulkier, often requiring a larger case- a potential issue for travel when packing space, especially carry-on space is at a premium. A mismatch IMO with a Mini2.

Yes. DJI has already proven with multiple models that Ocusync can be provided in smaller controllers. Why the divergence is anyone's guess. They could have done it with the Mini 2, but seemingly had already committed to the MA2, the only other drone, btw, in DJI's lineup with the giant controller. IMO it is a good match for a larger drone like the MA2 where space saving and ease of carry isn't a prime consideration.

Yes. DJI has already proven with multiple models that Ocusync can be provided in smaller controllers. Why the divergence is anyone's guess. They could have done it with the Mini 2, but seemingly had already committed to the MA2, the only other drone, btw, in DJI's lineup with the giant controller. IMO it is a good match for a larger drone like the MA2 where space saving and ease of carry isn't a prime consideration.
One point, that seems to be left out (or I missed in passing), is the simple fact that MANY people purchase the mini 2 due to the fact that it has vastly reduced regulations imposed on it in many countries. I’m one of those people. I purchased the mini 2, NOT for how compact it was, but for its weight, and only in the sense that it’s weight classifies it as a micro drone here in Canada. This sub-250g classification allows me to fly it at a moments notice, even for business purposes, with less regulatory restraints. I use it for recreational purposes as well as scouting locations for project estimations. I personally MUCH prefer the MM2/MA2 controller over my M2Z controller. I prefer the top mounted display holder as I find it much less straining on my neck when I look down to see. A previous post stated that it wasn’t difficult to lift the controller a few inches higher to view it, and that being true, it is much less comfortable to do so for extended flight periods than it is to rest the controller against my stomach and have that additional ~6” forward mounting on the screen. I also find the controller MUCH more comfortable to hold and appreciate the increased battery capacity, particularly for those days that I may have forgotten to charge my phone.

Reactions: rxlawdude
One point, that seems to be left out (or I missed in passing), is the simple fact that MANY people purchase the mini 2 due to the fact that it has vastly reduced regulations imposed on it in many countries. I’m one of those people. I purchased the mini 2, NOT for how compact it was, but for its weight, and only in the sense that it’s weight classifies it as a micro drone here in Canada. This sub-250g classification allows me to fly it at a moments notice, even for business purposes, with less regulatory restraints. I use it for recreational purposes as well as scouting locations for project estimations. I personally MUCH prefer the MM2/MA2 controller over my M2Z controller. I prefer the top mounted display holder as I find it much less straining on my neck when I look down to see. A previous post stated that it wasn’t difficult to lift the controller a few inches higher to view it, and that being true, it is much less comfortable to do so for extended flight periods than it is to rest the controller against my stomach and have that additional ~6” forward mounting on the screen. I also find the controller MUCH more comfortable to hold and appreciate the increased battery capacity, particularly for those days that I may have forgotten to charge my phone.
I mentioned it at length in post 59. The point is all the other pilots shouldn't be punished just because some people in some jurisdictions are buying it solely for regulatory reasons.

IMHO the new controller is a nice upgrade. I much prefer the phone/tablet above the controls. It’s much more secure feeling than the original air controller or the Mini controller. Im in no way certain but I would imagine that the battery is much larger than in those smaller controllers and with the added space I would guess they were able to implement better hardware this giving better connectivity to the drone. I’ve noticed mine always has a solid connection and I’ve been 20k feet + a few times at our farm. I’m very happy with it. The only downside is if you are strictly wanting the smallest package possible but it’s not like any of the drones are small enough to pocket so the little extra size is well worth it to me.

Reactions: PinpointUAVS
I mentioned it at length in post 59. The point is all the other pilots shouldn't be punished just because some people in some jurisdictions are buying it solely for regulatory reasons.
It’s not “some” but dozens of countries. Your point could be argued in reciprocal with validity as well. It’s 100% preference. Unless DJI offers the ability to bind any occusync 2 controller with any occusync 2 drone the point is moot.

It’s not “some” but dozens of countries. Your point could be argued in reciprocal with validity as well. It’s 100% preference. Unless DJI offers the ability to bind any occusync 2 controller with any occusync 2 drone the point is moot.
Yes it's dozens of counties. It's also more than dozens of people.

My point is there are tons of people buying it for its weight and portability.

Yes it's dozens of counties. It's also more than dozens of people.

My point is there are tons of people buying it for its weight and portability.
I agree with you. I personally think DJI should, at the very least, offer the option to purchase the mini 2 without a controller and allow it to be bound to any occusync 2 controller

2) It's bulkier, often requiring a larger case- a potential issue for travel when packing space, especially carry-on space is at a premium. A mismatch IMO with a Mini2.
No argument there. It does cut into the benefit of the Mini's portability.
Mini is also the cheap drone perhaps the new controller that's the same as Air 2 is their new optimised design so they did reuse it. But like you've said it's anyone's guess.

Unless DJI offers the ability to bind any occusync 2 controller with any occusync 2 drone the point is moot.
Allowing any ocusync controller to contol any ocusync drone? Now that would be anovel idea, wouldn't it?

Reactions: PinpointUAVS
As much as I dislike having a bigger controller.... the range improvements make me like the upgrade from the MM. I was able to find a PGYTECH Case on Amazon that is 9.5in x 7in x 3in that fits everything I need for backpacking the Mini 2. There isn't one bit of wasted room. For the Air 2 I carry it in a bigger case so it doesn't matter anyway.

PGYTECH Mini 2 Case

IMG_3631.JPGIMG_3632.JPG

As much as I dislike having a bigger controller.... the range improvements make me like the upgrade from the MM. I was able to find a PGYTECH Case on Amazon that is 9.5in x 7in x 3in that fits everything I need for backpacking the Mini 2. There isn't one bit of wasted room. For the Air 2 I carry it in a bigger case so it doesn't matter anyway.

PGYTECH Mini 2 Case

View attachment 122700View attachment 122702
Yeah... Some of the cases have needed reconfiguration of inserts to fit the controller. Unfortunately "not a bit of wasted room" also means no room for some accessories that might have been carried in that space with the smaller controller. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is not only LxW but depth. The giant controller is about 1/2" thicker than the M2's controller and the think the MM1's was thinner still by a bit. I used to store a lens hood and some other stuff in a layer below the controller in a case that is 10"x7"x3.5". I suppose I could reconfigure the case with a new foam insert if I could find some foam to repurpose but still wouldn't be able to carry a lot of the stuff that I typically carry.

Having said that, since I had to move up in case size I just bit the bullet and got an Apache 2800 and can carry everything I need including chargers, extra cables, prop guards and a lanyard, strobes and other stuff. But if I had to travel I'd probably have to split everything into two cases; one for spontaneous flight necessities (like the quoted post mentioned) and another for everything else.

Mini_soft_case.JPG

For a lot of us the weight is way more of an issue than the volume.
And that's part of the point. The extra 3 ounces of the controller plus that much less space for other stuff in a travel situation is disadventageous. I can tell you that the last thing I want when I travel is bigger and heavier.

And that's part of the point. The extra 3 ounces of the controller plus that much less space for other stuff in a travel situation is disadventageous. I can tell you that the last thing I want when I travel is bigger and heavier.
I agree with you. It's not just disadventageous, it's often a dealbreaker in many situations.

Reactions: vindibona1
Honestly I don't understand why people are complaining on the size of the controller because you can fit the drone, charger, charging cable, controller, 3 batteries and spare parts in a tiny purse if you wanted to ?
I find the size look and feel of the controller perfect and with my big hands anything smaller would be uncomfortable.. plus the weight of it is nice too, keeps me in check that it is there and not not going anywhere.. not to mention the signal is way stronger I mean what more do you want ?
Try using a dx6i controller, now that is big and uncomfortable.. technology has come a long way in a very short time.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Honestly I don't understand why people are complaining on the size of the controller because you can fit the drone, charger, charging cable, controller, 3 batteries and spare parts in a tiny purse if you wanted to ?
I find the size look and feel of the controller perfect and with my big hands anything smaller would be uncomfortable.. plus the weight of it is nice too, keeps me in check that it is there and not not going anywhere.. not to mention the signal is way stronger I mean what more do you want ?
Try using a dx6i controller, now that is big and uncomfortable.. technology has come a long way in a very short time.
As you know the Mini 1 and Mini 2 are identical in size except for the controller. For adequate protection with any kind of decent foam, other than that silly case that comes with the FMC, I have had to move to a larger case than that which I had with my Mini 1.

Additionally, there are times when I need two hands and don't want to put my controller down for any number of reasons. So I will often put a lanyard on the controller for convenience. The old controller (as is the M2 controller) is much lighter around the neck. With the smaller controller I can flip the controller/phone away from my body so that the sticks don't inadvertently touch my body if the drone is in mid-air creating an unwarranted maneuver.

But if I were to stipulate that size isn't an issue, and for some even an advantage why didn't DJI include more buttons as they have proven able to do with much smaller controllers??? The Mini 2 is $150 more than the Mini 1's FMC kit. The Air2s is $300 more. It's not like DJI hasn't shown it can easily be done and size isn't an issue.

Can you explain the need for a larger controller????

The old controller is what put me off purchasing the original Mini, I couldn’t get around having the screen below the controller.

When I saw they’d moved to this new controller with the screen held above the controller, I thought it was finally time to get one.

For me it just feels more secure and natural to look at.

The old controller is what put me off purchasing the original Mini, I couldn’t get around having the screen below the controller.

When I saw they’d moved to this new controller with the screen held above the controller, I thought it was finally time to get one.

For me it just feels more secure and natural to look at.
I guess everybody’s different. I currently have a Mavic two with the screen on the bottom and a mini two with the screen on the top and in terms of where it’s positioned makes absolutely no difference to me. With the brick of a controller for the mini 2 obviously you have to put the screen on top. Putting the phone on the bottom balances the smaller controller nicely with the Mavic 2 and mini 1.
So let me ask you...If you have to make a choice and were offered an option of the bigger controller and less buttons and a smaller controller and more buttons, which would you choose even with a preference of having the screen on top?

I love the Mavic 2 controller if for no other reason then I don’t have to look down to see if I’m in photo mode or video mode and have those buttons independently on left and right sides. They had that feature on the mini 1 as well. On the smaller controller there is plenty of room for a C1 and a C2 button as well as a 5D button. I don’t recall, did them anyone have a 5D? I suspect that DJ I did away with all of those extra buttons for a cost savings in manufacturing. Also note that in the Mavic 2 controller it also has Ocusync2, So there really isn’t a reason that they couldn’t continue with a smaller controller because of that. And I suspect 0C3 it doesn’t take up any more space either.

Reactions: vivalacoulter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake