DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2/Mini 2... Why the giant controller????

Hi all! I've been on these forums (PhantomPilots.com) since 2015 when I purchased my first DJI drone, the Phantom 3 Advanced. Granted I don't post much at all, but read almost all. I find this thread interesting because of the discussion of the ergonomics and functionality of the controller(s). Brought back old memories. One of my first controllers owned was a Futaba Gold 4 channel. Anyway got me thinking about how far they all have come technology wise. Size, shape, functionality... Yes, i agree, like compatibility, ergonomics, functionality of the same MFG would be nice, or have the ability to reprogram a controller that you like to be used with any and all RC. But then we wouldn't spend as much money with them.

I included this Pic of what I currently use with my RC toys. Some I like, some I don't. But I still get to fly in any case. The rest are in storage and are old. Bottom line... DJI is proprietary, not only with their products but also with each model. exception is with their Smart controller, but it too is limited to a couple of their aircraft and not all. I do like my Futaba (upper left), cause I fly all my fixed wing including DJI Flamewheel 550 with it.

Happy and Safe Flying

Attachments

• 20210112_115310.jpg
    20210112_115310.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
Hi all! I've been on these forums (PhantomPilots.com) since 2015 when I purchased my first DJI drone, the Phantom 3 Advanced. Granted I don't post much at all, but read almost all. I find this thread interesting because of the discussion of the ergonomics and functionality of the controller(s). Brought back old memories. One of my first controllers owned was a Futaba Gold 4 channel. Anyway got me thinking about how far they all have come technology wise. Size, shape, functionality... Yes, i agree, like compatibility, ergonomics, functionality of the same MFG would be nice, or have the ability to reprogram a controller that you like to be used with any and all RC. But then we wouldn't spend as much money with them.

I included this Pic of what I currently use with my RC toys. Some I like, some I don't. But I still get to fly in any case. The rest are in storage and are old. Bottom line... DJI is proprietary, not only with their products but also with each model. exception is with their Smart controller, but it too is limited to a couple of their aircraft and not all. I do like my Futaba (upper left), cause I fly all my fixed wing including DJI Flamewheel 550 with it.

Happy and Safe Flying
I think the new controller will be the one going forward compatible with many of the future drones (at least the recreational ones). The Air 2 and Mini 2 use the same controller (I was actually surprised you have both there with each one named), and while it is a random guess, I suspectwe'll see the next Mavic Pro's use them as well (unless they keep the embedded screen in that line). That would also help DJI with pricing, as they can sell more drones without a controller.

Universal phone holder (my Note9 with battery case could never fit the old controller) and longer battery life.

The new controller feels great in the hand and holds my phone securely so in that regard I think its perfect. However when I put it in my pack for hiking and fishing it adds a lot of bulk and weight that I wish it didn't have. I like it for the MA2 which I fly mostly out of a case, and wish it was smaller for the Mini 2 which I will use mostly for its portability.

I'm hoping that DJI will give me a shrunk down version that can maintain the new ergonomics when the Mini 3 eventually comes around.

As a former Mini 1 owner, now with a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro, I look at the controller of the Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and wonder what DJI was thinking that they thought to produce a controller that is much bigger than previous controllers. The initial thought would be that they needed a bigger size to accomodate Ocusync 2, but the Mavic 2's controller is the same size as the Mini 1's. In fact, the M2 controller even has a built in display panel.

I only ask this question in noting that while the Mini 1 and Mini 2 drone sizes are pretty much the same, the super-sized controller makes some of us have to go to a larger case simply to accomodate the controller.

Can anyone speculate what DJI's logic might have been. I know the logical answer is the larger battery inside the big controller, but I doubt that more battery capacity is really needed based on the Mavic 2's history.

Thoughts?
I like the larger controller.

Well done DJI, the controller adopted for the Mini 2 is a big improvement on that traditionally supplied with the Mavic series. I've never liked the 'underslung' position or the fiddley folding arm mounting method used for the phone on earlier Mavic models. The size is not a problem for me as I consider the Mini 2 is not a toy to be simply stuffed in a pocket, but a drone with great features over the original Mini that has been designed to be used by amateur, semi-pro and pro user and deserves a good bag or hard case.

As a former Mini 1 owner, now with a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro, I look at the controller of the Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and wonder what DJI was thinking that they thought to produce a controller that is much bigger than previous controllers. The initial thought would be that they needed a bigger size to accomodate Ocusync 2, but the Mavic 2's controller is the same size as the Mini 1's. In fact, the M2 controller even has a built in display panel.

I only ask this question in noting that while the Mini 1 and Mini 2 drone sizes are pretty much the same, the super-sized controller makes some of us have to go to a larger case simply to accomodate the controller.

Can anyone speculate what DJI's logic might have been. I know the logical answer is the larger battery inside the big controller, but I doubt that more battery capacity is really needed based on the Mavic 2's history.

Thoughts?
I much prefer the mini 2 controller ( my previous UAV was a spark) but each to their own.

I like the new controller much better even though it’s bigger. To me it feels more comfortable and very similar to a video game controller. The new design to hold a phone is much better and easier to use and not nearly as annoying to fit the phone. I’ve upgraded to the Tripltek tablet and this new design works great with it with only a small plastic extender instead of a whole big mount needing to be put in it.

Because the MA2 controller fits my massive iphone 11 pro max with a case. It feels better to hold. The larger size can house a larger battery, enabling it to charge my massive phone as well. All these things are worth the increase in size in my opinion. The charging off the phone capability has allowed me to fly when my phone battery wasn't feelin it. Sometimes when out in the wilderness your phones battery can drain faster than normal, I've actually used the controller itself to recharge my phone without taking flight.

Thoughts?
I quite like the size of the new controller over the old mini controller, so for me it really doesn't matter why they increased the size. I also think having the phone positioned on top is a huge improvement.
I'm guessing there's more to the size increase like accommodating the added features besides battery, the zoom feature for one just off the top of my head. But either way I'm happy.

Guys. Really.
Having almost 400 g controller twice bigger in size and weight then sub 250 g Mini 2 is stupid move. Seems like anectodical. when I place it side by side. For me and many users who chosen Mini for compact setup was really upset seen that. And only one reason why DJI made that - they cut development and production cost re-using Air 2 RC.
For Air 2 that RC seems like resalable. But for Mini 2 - Big NO. Despite it could be more convenient in some cases.
Take a look on setup I usually take for cycling ride. RC themselves bigger and probably weight more then all other. That really wrong :)

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_204255.jpg
    IMG_20201111_204255.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201111_205706.jpg
    IMG_20201111_205706.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: dulcificum
Some other protentional improvements:
  • The remote controller is easier to hold
  • The antennas aren't flimsy and likely to snap off
  • The new mobile device mount can hold phones in a case

Exactly what he said! Plus, the new controller is much more balanced and doesn't feel like a toy in one's hands. Quite honestly, I wouldn't have bought the MA2 without the new controller... it's one of the biggest reasons to make the move!

Have you considered the smart controller since you already have a M2Pro?
At this point the smart controller is cost prohibitive. If I were able to get out and make some regular money with this thing the cost wouldn't be an issue. It's not that the Mini 2 controller is unusable. It's just an unwieldy match for what it's paired with (with the Mini 2).

After a week of flying only my Mini 2 I flew my M2P today. And while I had to concentrate on the different control positions for a moment or two, I didn't get distracted for even a second that my phone was below the controller rather than above it. In fact, in some ways it's an advantage because one seems to be less likely to have his face buried in the controller and watching the drone. But there were a few moments today that I wanted to watch the screen. What does it take- move your hands 4" further away to watch the screen for a few seconds?

I don't know if I mentioned this, but on location sometimes I need both hands and don't want to set the controller down. So I use a makeshift neck strap so the controller and phone can just hang on my neck for a few seconds (while I'm ususally prepping the drone). The M2 controller is much more pleasant to hang around the neck. And there are moments when, with the Mini 2 controller that I want the neck strap so I don't have to hold that heavy battery with some controls attached up for the whole time I'm flying. God help me if I want to add the weight of an iPad and bracket to the MM2 controller! ... But that's just me.

It's all about big batteries and big hands. The controller is slightly out of balance, but a big improvement for the toy controller of the past!

Mike

Thoughts?
It's absolutely unnecessary. There's no reason that ocusync could not fit in a smaller controller they are just saving money on manufacturing. It takes away a huge selling point of the mini 2.

Reactions: vindibona1
It's absolutely unnecessary. There's no reason that ocusync could not fit in a smaller controller they are just saving money on manufacturing. It takes away a huge selling point of the mini 2.
Agreed, OS2 has nothing to do with the controller size. The M2 is OS2, and the M1 is OS1.

As for saving mfr cost, maybe since the MA2 and MM2 remotes are interchangeable. But the previous Mavics shared the same smaller style.

It's completely reasonable to prefer the larger controller. Especially if your typical flying is in a local park or a short distance from a car. This might even be the most common usage of the Mini 2 given many people are choosing it over the MA2 for regulation reasons more than because they value the light weight in an of itself.

However, it's completely unacceptable to make the larger controller the only option. For those of us who use the MM2 solely because it is packable and light, losing all those amazing advantages and technical design due to a much bigger and heavier controller is infuriating. DJI should also offer a fast and light controller at least as an option to make use of their clever engineering in non car/park use cases and for those shooting beautiful footage in the backcountry, off the beaten path and in remote place.

It's completely reasonable to prefer the larger controller. Especially if your typical flying is in a local park or a short distance from a car. This might even be the most common usage of the Mini 2 given many people are choosing it over the MA2 for regulation reasons more than because they value the light weight in an of itself.

However, it's completely unacceptable to make the larger controller the only option. For those of us who use the MM2 solely because it is packable and light, losing all those amazing advantages and technical design due to a much bigger and heavier controller is infuriating. DJI should also offer a fast and light controller at least as an option to make use of their clever engineering in non car/park use cases and for those shooting beautiful footage in the backcountry, off the beaten path and in remote place.
You echoed my point exactly. After great success with a smaller controller with the Mavic 2 which has Ocusyn 2.0, why did they do that to the MA2... and then migrate it to the Mini 2? Small portability of the drone itself, only cancelled by a required piece of equipment that requires a larger case.

Granted I could have opted for a smaller, less protective case for the MM2, or non-protective fly-more bag, I would have had to move up to a larger case for the Mini 2 anyway. Had the Mini 2 controller stayed the same size I could have stayed with the same case I had. Now it will simply be repurposed for something else. I suppose the Mini 1 case with another 1" (2.5cm) depth would make the choice easier by standing the MM2 controller on it's side. And I suppose 3rd party mfrs will come up with something inventive for the MM2. But even so, on long vacation treks I would appreciate having less weight on my shoulder all day, even if it's only a few ounces.

controllers_giant-small.jpg
three_cases.jpg

Reactions: dulcificum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007