DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2/Mini 2... Why the giant controller????

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
As a former Mini 1 owner, now with a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro, I look at the controller of the Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and wonder what DJI was thinking that they thought to produce a controller that is much bigger than previous controllers. The initial thought would be that they needed a bigger size to accomodate Ocusync 2, but the Mavic 2's controller is the same size as the Mini 1's. In fact, the M2 controller even has a built in display panel.

I only ask this question in noting that while the Mini 1 and Mini 2 drone sizes are pretty much the same, the super-sized controller makes some of us have to go to a larger case simply to accomodate the controller.

Can anyone speculate what DJI's logic might have been. I know the logical answer is the larger battery inside the big controller, but I doubt that more battery capacity is really needed based on the Mavic 2's history.

Thoughts?

Can anyone speculate what DJI's logic might have been
Some other protentional improvements:
  • The remote controller is easier to hold
  • The antennas aren't flimsy and likely to snap off
  • The new mobile device mount can hold phones in a case

Some other protentional improvements:
  • The remote controller is easier to hold
  • The antennas aren't flimsy and likely to snap off
  • The new mobile device mount can hold phones in a case
I appreciate your opinion and respect it. But for me
1) The remote controller is not easier for ME to hold. I find the grip more awkward and less balanced... and the whole rig HEAVIER.
2) While one *could* more easily snap off antennae, what would one be doing to possibly cause that? They have a pretty good range of motion that would seem to mitigate that occurance.
3) The new controller can hold SOME phone's with cases still on, but a dremel and a little handiwork would remedy that to the extent on the Mini 1/Mavic 2 controllers. I still need to take my phone case off with the Mini 2 controller.

Another reply said that they preferred the monitor on top and I appreciate that preference. I would rebut that argument by saying that there is nothing to look at on the controller itself and consequently is only really a matter of where your hands position the monitor. I dont' find it all that hard to move the controller 4" farther forward to look at the screen, especially because it is SO much lighter in weight. I currently have a Mini 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro. So two different controller systems which I don't really have any functional issues with. But my preference for the smaller lighter controller stands.

So while for some there are pros and those who prefer the new controller for the stated reasons, my main objections remain. IMO it wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.

I prefer the MA2 controller to the Mini controller for some of the same reasons listed above. I tried a friend's Mini and the controller felt like a toy. I also hated the fact that the screen was on the bottom. It just seemed awkward having to hold the controller up higher so that I could see the screen.

Coming from R/C helicopters where my radio was quite large compared to a either the Mini or MA2, I find the MA2 controller to be a good balance of size and heft, especially when combined with a 7" tablet.

Different strokes.

Another pro is bigger battery in RC. The smaller RC drains faster with Android. I'd get maybe 4 flights before it is dangerously low.
Granted that does mean more weight. I have a P3A so I know how much a pain the extra weight can be.

New design doesn't need as complex an adapter to accommodate a tablet. The adapter is pretty much just an extension.

With my M2, I have the tablet mount that fits inside the holder, but it holds the tablet way too far up or out from the RC. I DO want to see it's screen, particularly if the app messes up.
There's the clamp type but it is awkward to install, and interferes with the 5D control.

Some like chocolate, some prefer vanilla. Can't please everyone.

I’m another one who much prefers the new version. I’ve been flying since the original Phantom and never liked the Mavic controllers. Far too fiddly. As someone that is partially sighted - it is miles easier to get the phone into the controller, and also much quicker, so better if you see something you want to film that isn’t around for long. I can even leave mine in the Flymore bag with drone, and batteries with the sticks in - so it’s ready to go. Having the screen on top is also much better and more natural. Having it there also weights it better so it feels more balanced.

i think its a brilliant controller i have it on the MA2. ;)

As a former Mini 1 owner, now with a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro, I look at the controller of the Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and wonder what DJI was thinking that they thought to produce a controller that is much bigger than previous controllers. The initial thought would be that they needed a bigger size to accomodate Ocusync 2, but the Mavic 2's controller is the same size as the Mini 1's. In fact, the M2 controller even has a built in display panel.

I only ask this question in noting that while the Mini 1 and Mini 2 drone sizes are pretty much the same, the super-sized controller makes some of us have to go to a larger case simply to accomodate the controller.

Can anyone speculate what DJI's logic might have been. I know the logical answer is the larger battery inside the big controller, but I doubt that more battery capacity is really needed based on the Mavic 2's history.

Thoughts?
As a former Phantom 3 & 4 user it was the controller that made me buy the the Mavic Air 2. (It's fantastic) The stupid little controller with a small phone below your hands was the only reason I never purchased a Mavic earlier.

Firstly let me say I do not have either an MA2 or Mini 2 so these are outsider's observations.
When I saw the new Mini 2 controller one of my first thoughts was "what about the longevity of the antennae leads?". Having seen dismantling videos I am less 'concerned' but still not 'worry free', that said I recollect that at least one video concerned a displaced tension/clamping spring of/in the phone holder.
Meaning no offence to anyone but I would question whether or not this slide-out antennae arrangement is more robust i.e. accident-proof, than the previous arrangements? Ditto robustness when holding/carrying the weight of a tablet etc..
I would also point out that battery capacity is not absolutely dependent on the case size. The M2P/Z controllers are almost exactly the same size as the MM controller but have a MUCH greater battery capacity than that of the MM controller.

It is my own personal view that for a 'pocketable' drone such as the Mini 2 the new controller''s size somewhat reduces the overall 'pocketability '.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest driver is that it has to house the telescoping phone/antenna holder. The shorter you make it, the smaller the phone it can hold. The batteries are larger and do take up some space as well, but from the tear downs, it seems like they could use shorter + wider batteries if they really needed to.

While it gives the impression that it is much larger, it isn't as "Giant" as it seems. The width and thickness are maybe a tad bigger, and the lengths is about an inch longer. Here's the MA2 vs the Original Air remote.

20210111_090751c.jpg20210111_090803c.jpg

1) The remote controller is not easier for ME to hold. I find the grip more awkward and less balanced... and the whole rig HEAVIER.
2) While one *could* more easily snap off antennae, what would one be doing to possibly cause that? They have a pretty good range of motion that would seem to mitigate that occurance.
3) The new controller can hold SOME phone's with cases still on, but a dremel and a little handiwork would remedy that to the extent on the Mini 1/Mavic 2 controllers. I still need to take my phone case off with the Mini 2 controller.

Another reply said that they preferred the monitor on top and I appreciate that preference. I would rebut that argument by saying that there is nothing to look at on the controller itself and consequently is only really a matter of where your hands position the monitor. I dont' find it all that hard to move the controller 4" farther forward to look at the screen, especially because it is SO much lighter in weight. I currently have a Mini 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro. So two different controller systems which I don't really have any functional issues with. But my preference for the smaller lighter controller stands.

So while for some there are pros and those who prefer the new controller for the stated reasons, my main objections remain. IMO it wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.
It might seem expensive and redundant, but after getting the SC I will never ever use phone or tablet for flying. So for me the question is moot, I find both controller variants fiddly and impractical.

For you, it wasn't broke. For most people, the new controller is much better. Everyone has different things they find comfortable, but from reviews and forums posts (which is not scientific) it seems like the vast majority find the new controller better. Not just comfort, but positioning of screen and ease of setup, wire storage, battery life, etc....

Thoughts?
Seriously? You can't throw the controller in your car? Or backpack? The new controller is great....we don't need to know WHY they do what they do....there are many drone companies who just might have it all just how YOU want it....the Smart Controller has strap capability....you put it on your neck and off you go... If you are going hiking into the mountains you are surely taking more with you than your drone case.....and also...you bought a $500 or $800 or &1500 drone but you can't afford a $75 case? Just bought a Lykus case on Amazon for my Air2 and Smart Controller and batteries and everything else and it was $59! People are putting 10" tablets onto their controllers and you are upset about the size of the controller itself...this is why people start their own business's....they THINK they can do it all better....

Last edited:
I am like PhiliusFoggg I don’t have either but think for a drone that’s main feature is portability the size of the controller is a put off.
It’s similar in size to a Smart Controller, a lot bigger when you add a phone.

The Air 2/Mini 2 controller is between the size of the older controller and the smart controller. But if picking one to say "similar" it is definitely closer in size old Air controller. From a height perspective, the Air 2 controller is bigger by about an inch than the old controller. The smart controller is just about another inch taller, so the Air 2 splits the difference. But from a width perspective, the old controller and the new are about the same, where as the smart controller is 2 inches wider.

As you noted, when flying that changes significantly with a phone attached. That's why, outside of those that must fly with a large tablet, the smart controller is a great device, physically (software not-withstanding)

Seriously? You can't throw the controller in your car? Or backpack? The new controller is great....we don't need to know WHY they do what they do....there are many drone companies who just might have it all just how YOU want it....the Smart Controller has strap capability....you put it on your neck and off you go... If you are going hiking into the mountains you are surely taking more with you than your drone case.....and also...you bought a $500 or $800 or &1500 drone but you can't afford a $75 case? Just bought a Lykus case on Amazon for my Air2 and Smart Controller and batteries and everything else and it was $59! People are putting 10" tablets onto their controllers and you are upset about the size of the controller itself...this is why people start their own business's....they THINK they can do it all better....
I've not had any of the previous controllers so I don't know any different. I like the functionality of the controller however, if you're a serious backpacker, a few ounces or cubic inches are a big deal. It would be nice if they had a smaller controller you could purchase when you're really watching size/weight or maybe could develop an aftermarket one.

p.s. I would rather be able to put the drone and controller in my backpack without any case, cases are extra weight. Be aware that ultralight backpackers do not use the stuff sacks for their sleeping bags and tents because of the few extra grams of weight.

Reactions: dulcificum

I have a Mini 2 and a M2Z. I find both controllers to be comfortable in hand. However, when flying with only a phone I prefer the viewpoint of the Mini 2 controller, but when flying with my iPad Air and mount I find the mini 2 controller incredibly unbalanced and therefore prefer the M2Z controller for that situation. 1 nice perk about the Mini 2 controller is if I forget to charge my phone there’s enough power in the controller to charge my phone and fly the Mini 2 for 4-5 batteries.

Last edited:
I've not had any of the previous controllers so I don't know any different. I like the functionality of the controller however, if you're a serious backpacker, a few ounces or cubic inches are a big deal. It would be nice if they had a smaller controller you could purchase when you're really watching size/weight or maybe could develop an aftermarket one.

p.s. I would rather be able to put the drone and controller in my backpack without any case, cases are extra weight. Be aware that ultralight backpackers do not use the stuff sacks for their sleeping bags and tents because of the few extra grams of weight.
This is a very good point for the serious backpackers. The Air 2 and its batteries are big and heavy enough it isn't great for that purpose, so the larger/heavier controller probably isn't a problem. The Minis on the other do probably lend itself more to that type of work and I could see it being more of a consideration with a Mini 2.

With my original Air, I would take it almost anywhere because it was pretty small and light, and if you just wanted to get some quick aerial shots (very close by), you didn't even need the controller as you could fly with the phone only.

After I realized I was bringing it everywhere and hardly ever using it, I stopped carrying it. At that point, the extra size and weight of the MA2 and controller wasn't a big problem for me, and probably isn't for most people. But if you want something small and light the Mini, the controller doesn't help (although the extra battery life may offset whatever you are carrying to recharge it).

Reactions: dulcificum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys