DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 now has zoom function!

GREAT Video. Thanks. If this applies to Android... The Zoom function will be GREAT. ASpart from that, the 45 Waypoint feature will remove, IMHO, the need for Litchi. I am anxiously waiting until MA2 will accept DroneDeploy and Pix4D. Now I can only use my original Air for mapping.

I don't think the improved waypoint mode removes the need for Litchi. For one, DJI's waypoints on the Mavic Air 2 are still limited to hyperlapses only and not regular videos, and also Litchi has a much more powerful system for pre-planning waypoint missions ahead of time. These Litchi missions also continue to run even when the drone disconnects from the RC as well.

I don't think the improved waypoint mode removes the need for Litchi. For one, DJI's waypoints on the Mavic Air 2 are still limited to hyperlapses only and not regular videos, and also Litchi has a much more powerful system for pre-planning waypoint missions ahead of time. These Litchi missions also continue to run even when the drone disconnects from the RC as well.
1) Litchi is not available on MA2.
2) New UpDate does not appear to be available on Android. I just started up my MA2 and no "FIRMWARE UPDATE" message appeared. It started with the existing Firmware. Before anyone asks...I DO have "Automatic Update" set in DJI Fly.

Downloading mine, as I post. Large file (178.3), with some improved features. Will test this evening. Be safe.

2) New UpDate does not appear to be available on Android. I just started up my MA2 and no "FIRMWARE UPDATE" message appeared. It started with the existing Firmware. Before anyone asks...I DO have "Automatic Update" set in DJI Fly.
It has nothing to do with your Android device & having Auto Updates on will make no difference. The FW update is for your drone which, as long as your device is connected to the internet, will check its current status & tell you if a new version of ‘DRONE FW’ is available. As I commented in your other post, are you sure your device is connected to the internet and, if yes, have you tried deleting the app & reinstalling?

Reactions: dawgpilot
we all know that Litchi is not available (at the moment) for the MA2, the comment made was that Litchi ‘would offer’ better waypoint functionality.... when it is able to support the MA2

Decent update though, they didn't ruin anything so far so thats good. I remember one of the early updates for my origional mavic pro butchering the image quality.

Just tried the Zoom feature and in short it was awful, unless you are just using it for inspections.

Zoom is only for video, which is excellent for inspections. Wish they had added it for photos too.

The zoom is also great for active track, to better select your subject. You have to be at 30fps or less but it’s I nice improvement !

Zoom is only for video, which is excellent for inspections. Wish they had added it for photos too.
Effectively, they have. Just set up the shot while recording video, zoom in to make sure your subject is centered, and then switch to Photo mode and take your picture. Crop the still to the center in post. Alternatively, use a still frame extract from the zoomed in video.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMRE2ME2
Just tried the Zoom feature and in short it was awful, unless you are just using it for inspections.
What was awful about it? Which video resolutions did you try it in? It is also linear, so if 2x loses too much resolution, you can dial it back by pressing and holding the 1x button to bring up a slider to select any level of zoom less than 2x. It is a digital zoom, not an optical zoom, but you can use it for wildlife, and anything else where getting closer would be problematic, or impossible. Nice free, bonus feature that you didn't pay for. ;)

If you hold the fn button down while using the gimbal wheel, the zoom function is very smooth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas