DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made a dumb mistake.

HumanShield

Reactions
Hopefully this will help someone...

I am new to drones so for whatever reason one of my "goals" was to fly my drone to a specific location, land it, and return home. As many of you know, since there were trees, houses, etc. I begin to first lose camera visuals, then eventually lost RC connection. I was very fortunate that I knew exactly where it was so I panicked, landed it and went and retrieved it.

This is may be obvious to some/many of you, but I can't be the only one to think that this was a fun idea.

Question: If I had not been able to land it, would it have automatically RTH?

Reactions: FilthyRich
Since I dont yet have my Mavic, I can only speak from general RC knowledge. But while Mavic have great range, it pretty much requires "line of sight", you can fly away but you must keep Mavic in the air so signal from controller can reach drone. If you fly it away and try landing it you will lose video and controls because signal will be obstructed by buildings, trees or even hills. So unless you are on top of high tower I wouldn not recomend landing drone away from yourself.

And about second part from what I know (and I know it from just reading manual, something I recommend you do) it depends what you set/what was default setting when you started. It could try RTH on loose of controls, hover and then land on battery low or just land straight away.

PS. Also from what I gathered on this forum, Mavic won't start if it is tilted or on low battery, so even if you fly somewhere and manage to land without loosing video feed and remote control You might find yourself unable to start the drone because it doesn't meet start conditions. Just don't land it away from yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 604Pilot
You aren't the only one who thought that would be a cool idea. My P3Advanced, shortly after I got it, I landed it on top of a flat roof, my top porch, and in the middle of a field. I had LOS for the field and the porch, but I didn't have LOS for the flat roof. I was standing close to the roof, though, and did not lose signal or video feed, I got lucky.

Reactions: vas67
You aren't the only one who thought that would be a cool idea. My P3Advanced, shortly after I got it, I landed it on top of a flat roof, my top porch, and in the middle of a field. I had LOS for the field and the porch, but I didn't have LOS for the flat roof. I was standing close to the roof, though, and did not lose signal or video feed, I got lucky.

You would not happen to be Bob "Finless" from the Helifreak.com site would you?;)

I'm not real clear on what happened but... you could have just remained calm and waited. After losing signal the Mavic will RTH.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow