DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mag Interference

Raynard Jones

Reactions
I was about to take my first flight and everything was fine. I had to download fly safe info, and I did. Now I have Mag Interference, check app on the DC screen. Is this normal? Its telling me to recalibrate compass.

I was about to take my first flight and everything was fine. I had to download fly safe info, and I did. Now I have Mag Interference, check app on the DC screen. Is this normal? Its telling me to recalibrate compass.

Normal? It does not take a long time or effort so just follow the instructions. If it persists, there may be a problem.

Reactions: Raynard Jones

The Mavic 2 has built in checks on time from last calibration and distance from last calibration. If triggered they present exactly like that - what it is really saying is that it is either more than 30 days or more than 50 km since the last calibration.

^ Yup^ I remember when you discovered this by examining the log files. I think I spend too much time here :)

If you are prompted to recalibrate the compass by the DJIGO4 app then do so. If you try and launch from an area that has lots of metal in it concrete with rebar , manhole cover, near a big metal object i.e. trucks , cars , etc you may receive the same message "Mag Interference"

Do not launch over or near these objects as it can and will affect proper positioning.

How long has it been in a box sitting on a shelf somewhere? I guess over 30 days! How far has it traveled to get to you from the place it was originally calibrated? Since they are manufactured in China unless you are very near China I think its a good idea to recalibrate. :0

Not unusual fresh out of the box. Calibrate the compass, it is easy to do.

Last edited:
Flew my drone at home yesterday no problem. Drove an hour away from home today and had to calibrate compass before I could fly. Sounds like it's part of the plan. Took all of a couple minutes and then it was happy.

Happens “fairly” regularly to me as well. Takes all of 10 seconds and then happy happy.

Do you have to be outdoors when calibrating the compass?
If the system suggests you need to calibrate, it is probably best to do it where you are going to fly. I suspect that indoors would not be a very effective strategy as it could be affected by nearby wiring, tv's and other large appliances. But I'm no expert.

Reactions: Mossiback
I have had a lot of Mag Interference issues w both the MP and M2P, I travel a lot and it seems I have to calibrate the compass almost every time I am in a new destination, often in the same location just different day. With the MP the calibrating often didnt work and I had to use a C-fixer de-magnetizer. I have a lot of music equipment and speakers about, maybe it's the magnets in those. Doing the compass dance is almost routine now.

"I have a lot of music equipment and speakers about, maybe it's the magnets in those"

Yup, that would do it.

Last edited:
Do you have to be outdoors when calibrating the compass?
I would never calibrate the compass indoors. It would be in a place with much more metal than where I would fly, so it would create an invalid calibration. Do it at your flying location, away from metal, smart watches, cars, etc. Before take-off, make sure that the direction the drone is pointing matches what appears in the GO4 app, if they do not match, then you may have an invalid calibration.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert