DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic air 2 won't fly forward...

bings

Reactions
Hi all i am new to the DJI drones and after purchasing the MA2 i am struggling to fly the drone back to my position. i.e i fly to the end of the garden turn the drone around 180degs(camera facing me) and it won't fly back to me it will go side to side and backwards but not forward.

can some please help???

Hi all i am new to the DJI drones and after purchasing the MA2 i am struggling to fly the drone back to my position. i.e i fly to the end of the garden turn the drone around 180degs(camera facing me) and it won't fly back to me it will go side to side and backwards but not forward.

can some please help???
Did you try Return to Home, to see if it turns and flies back? Just ensure that you set a high enough RTH altitude on the Fly app. Did you also update all firmware on the controller, batteries and drone either connected on your PC with Assistant 2, or via your smartphone?

That will happen if obstacle avoidance is triggered. If you are positive that you aren't going to hit an obstacle, you can switch into Sport mode to override.

Did you try Return to Home, to see if it turns and flies back? Just ensure that you set a high enough RTH altitude on the Fly app. Did you also update all firmware on the controller, batteries and drone either connected on your PC with Assistant 2, or via your smartphone?
Hi thank you for you reply i have done every thing you suggested and it won't return which is a pain as i am wheelchair bond having to keep getting the drone my self.

That will happen if obstacle avoidance is triggered. If you are positive that you aren't going to hit an obstacle, you can switch into Sport mode to override.
Hi thank you for your reply. i have also put the controller in to sports mode to see if this works and no luck. i notice that the compass on the bottom of my iPhone does not match where the drone is facing i also recalibrate IMU and Compass 3 times to see if this would help but it didn't i also checked how many satellites am connected to was 13 not sure what else to do.

Hi thank you for your reply. i have also put the controller in to sports mode to see if this works and no luck. i notice that the compass on the bottom of my iPhone does not match where the drone is facing i also recalibrate IMU and Compass 3 times to see if this would help but it didn't i also checked how many satellites am connected to was 13 not sure what else to do.

Strange, I can't explain that then. There should be nothing stopping you from flying into a brick wall if you want if the drone is in Sport mode.

Hi thank you for you reply i have done every thing you suggested and it won't return which is a pain as i am wheelchair bond having to keep getting the drone my self.
Try switching from Normal to Tripod mode after launching the drone up to about 2 metres then up to 7 metres for about 10 seconds (to secure a good RTH fix) before moving forward just a very short distance. Use Tripod mode to hover and play with the various directional controls, rotating, raising, lowering and backing the drone up to you if necessary (if forward motion fails) whilst you try to isolate what might be holding it up (if joystick or clear height/obstacle related). At least then you can keep it near you, for retrieval. The obstacle near “hold up” may be the reason. I like Tripod mode for very tightly controlled landings with Air 2. I put mine back on a small house deck in near dark conditions tonight, guided by the LED light over a target. The hovering hold control and fine adjustments possible, using the crosshair sights with the gimbal turned down, vertically, on to the target, were brilliant.If you try a higher flying height that may also help. And if reverse does still work for you, bring it home backwards (visually), for now! Keep posting and good luck. It will get resolved.

This is probably a real pain since you are mobile restricted, but I will recommend trying a new location where you have more room to fly.

Try switching from Normal to Tripod mode after launching the drone up to about 2 metres then up to 7 metres for about 10 seconds (to secure a good RTH fix) before moving forward just a very short distance. Use Tripod mode to hover and play with the various directional controls, rotating, raising, lowering and backing the drone up to you if necessary (if forward motion fails) whilst you try to isolate what might be holding it up (if joystick or clear height/obstacle related). At least then you can keep it near you, for retrieval. The obstacle near “hold up” may be the reason. I like Tripod mode for very tightly controlled landings with Air 2. I put mine back on a small house deck in near dark conditions tonight, guided by the LED light over a target. The hovering hold control and fine adjustments possible, using the crosshair sights with the gimbal turned down, vertically, on to the target, were brilliant.If you try a higher flying height that may also help. And if reverse does still work for you, bring it home backwards (visually), for now! Keep posting and good luck. It will get resolved.
Did you try RTH? What happened there?

Just checking: the drone flies forwards when you fly out, then hover, rotate, then try to continue forward motion again and it refuses to advance (back to you)? How far above the ground is it and how far away from obstacles (in all directions)?

Strange how you can fly it away from you but when you turn it round it stops flying forward.
Not trying to be funny but when it is facing towards you the stick will work in the opposite direction as back is now forward are you doing this? ;)

Just checking: the drone flies forwards when you fly out, then hover, rotate, then try to continue forward motion again and it refuses to advance (back to you)? How far above the ground is it and how far away from obstacles (in all directions)?
Took it 5m 10m 15m no obstacles in the way i push forward it will fly in that direction i stop then rotate towards me i try both up and down on the right stick it will go side2side and backwards i even tried holding the left stick to the right and then to the left and push forward on the right stick at the same time till it moves and still then it will only go in one direction after almost doing a 360deg turn.

I think it mite be the GPS as the drone does not line up with the icon on my phone properly even tho i was connected to 16 satellites and have colabrated many times and i even tried another iPhone which did display the correct position of the drone but still same issue on the icon on the bottom of the screen and the active track does not work for me either. i just returned from flying 30mins ago.

The RTH kinda work this time but its sketchy had to cancel when it got near the ground as it came in fast and looked it wanted to crash.

i will try another location tomorrow i live in the country so plenty open placers round here.

Are you sure you are not in a restricted fly zone?
There is a raf base about 3 miles away but i am in a blue unlockable zone i did think this mite be the issue but what made me dismiss this was the fact i tired seating in different parts of the garden front or back garden same issue even in the house same issue.

I will still try another location tomorrow and update everyone.

There is a raf base about 3 miles away but i am in a blue unlockable zone i did think this mite be the issue but what made me dismiss this was the fact i tired seating in different parts of the garden front or back garden same issue even in the house same issue.

I will still try another location tomorrow and update everyone.
I think this may be your issue

Hmmmmmm this is a first for sure...You haven't activated active track by tapping the screen have you? That's a long shot of course. Do you just back it up to you? Wheel down to that location and fly it the other direction

Recalibrate your remote control. Might have a stuck right stick. Simple to try. Good luck.

It’s a weird one that’s for sure. You might be right about the GPS

Last edited:
Rather than guessing and having other people make guesses (that are probably wrong), it's always a good idea to see if the recorded flight data helps explain the issue.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
I think it mite be the GPS as the drone does not line up with the icon on my phone properly even tho i was connected to 16 satellites and have colabrated many times
This is unrelated to GPS and there's no need to recalibrate the drone's compass or IMU if the drone is already flying straight and hovering in place without rotating.

The orientation indicator not matching what you see is simply because the magnetic influences in the controller are deflecting the compass sensor in your phone or tablet.
Even when it's displaying wrongly, you can still use it to rotate the drone and point toward the centre of the circle (home) and fly there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d