DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interferance-flyaway

Ok i Got you, so should the pilot have checked his compass and imu readout before take off? I feel bad for the guy and even freaked me out that this can happen to me, I am just trying to gather data as I am a new pilot. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand further.

Actually the advice given by @BudWalker above is the best check for magnetic issues, although it won't hurt to look at the calibration numbers.

I recently experienced magnetic interference shortly after launch. My screen said 'compass calibration' was off and to 'see app to calibrate'. I noticed the flashing light on the mavic was not green (normal) but red. As I returned the drone to me, the light changed back to green. I landed it, shut it down and started all over again and got the same message as soon as I was out over the rocks and water. My guess is that the composition of the (marble and granite) rocks caused this?

I recently experienced magnetic interference shortly after launch. My screen said 'compass calibration' was off and to 'see app to calibrate'. I noticed the flashing light on the mavic was not green (normal) but red. As I returned the drone to me, the light changed back to green. I landed it, shut it down and started all over again and got the same message as soon as I was out over the rocks and water. My guess is that the composition of the (marble and granite) rocks caused this?
Unless you were within a couple of feet of the rocks, it's going to be something else.

Me and the remote or where the drone is? I had a friend loose a drone because he was standing on a taconite rock.
I've also heard that wifi hot spots can interfere. I was near (behind) some buildings that had that.

Me and the remote or where the drone is? I had a friend loose a drone because he was standing on a taconite rock.
I've also heard that wifi hot spots can interfere. I was near (behind) some buildings that had that.
The drone.
Where you are won't affect the drone's compass.
Neither will wifi

Problem? Flown in same spot for 3 weeks. Used up 2 batteries on the day and landed to put fresh battery in. Everything ok and took off. Within 5 second, the screen flashe breaking now, return sticks to midpoint, then continue flying. Then Magnetic filed interference came up and the drone took off and reach 17M/S and hit a tree. It was not in sports mode and there was absolutely no control.

Was unit in a crash? Yes

What have you tried so far? Sent it to DJI Australia and have only recieved a bill to repair it, nothing about warranty or replacement. No way of contacting them to find out what caused it. I uploaded the flight data for them to check as well.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung S9

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? DJI Go 4

What Go app version are you using? Updated August 18th

Any modification? (if so what) 2 weeks old out of the box

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) DId an update on the Drone 2 days before and calibrated compass in a field free of interference.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) Attached picture

Question is, how do I get hold of the repairer to ask why I cannot get a replacement, as I believe this was a technical issue, not mine. I do not want a crashed dron back and have the same issue.
Thank-you in advance for any help.

As we say here in the US' "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". On a couple of repair that involved Mfg error, I simply called DJI and once I have a rep on the phone ask to speak to their supervisor. Keep doing this each tome someone new comes to the phone until eventually you reach the top, which may be a call back, but insist on speaking with a supervisor.

Once you are a level or two up, you will have a person that can actually make some decisions regarding your case. Not that the operators don't do a wonderful job, but they are simply data collectors and can't make any decisions with respect to repair.

I'm sure this doesn't hold true in every case but it has worked well for me on at least 2 occasions. The largest hurtle facing DJI service is that they are getting drones from literally all over the globe so basically they are swamped beyond belief.

Water, I wasn’t a mile away today and got a “weak video signal” message. I won’t fly over water unless I’m st least 100ft.

Sorry - but water is not going to cause any kind of interference. You are confusing coincidence with causation.

Sorry - but water is not going to cause any kind of interference. You are confusing coincidence with causation.

I hope you’re right. I heard it is a reflective surface and messes things up. Friend of mine lost 3 drones over the water; he lost control and they went in.

I hope you’re right. I heard it is a reflective surface and messes things up. Friend of mine lost 3 drones over the water; he lost control and they went in.
I do most of my flying over water and it's safer than flying on land.
No obstacles and no interference.
No worries.

Reactions: PWildey_fine_art
So what are some of the known interference elements?
Not much will interfere with the compass except putting the drone on top of or very close to steel objects or live electric cables.
Radio signal interference is common around homes and urban areas.

Reactions: PWildey_fine_art
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka