DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference problem

Reactions
Hi everyone...

I'm having a problem with a magnetic interference error with my new Mavic pro. Most of the research I've done seems to say that people were taking off from or near steel objects and that doesn't seem to be the problem with me. Here's what's going on:

Purchased drone and updated all software/firmware. Flew a handful of flights in Southern California from the top of the parking structures, in my back yard, around construction cranes, etc. and no problems. Everything works great and the video is awesome.

Two days ago I flew to Georgia to visit family and now wherever I try to set up to take off from I get the "magnetic interference - check app" error. I've tried taking off from a wooden balcony, driveway, open field with nothing in site for miles, and all the same problem. It says to calibrate the compass but all of the reading I've done has me very worried about doing it. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I'd really like to get some drone video while I'm out here but am worried about flying it with an error like that.

Thanks!

Don't be concerned about calibrating compass. I do this before EVERY first flight of the day. Calibrate away from anything metal -- this includes your watch. I hold controller at arms length during calibration because one needs to see the diagrams on display to know when to change orientation of the drone. Plenty of YouTube videos about calibration.

Don't be concerned about calibrating compass. I do this before EVERY first flight of the day. Calibrate away from anything metal -- this includes your watch. I hold controller at arms length during calibration because one needs to see the diagrams on display to know when to change orientation of the drone. Plenty of YouTube videos about calibration.

Thanks for the reassurance in calibration, i was hoping that would be the response... I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow. Do you think that's wise to do while having a maybe interference warning though? No matter where I go I have that warning, even in an open field around no metal objects unfortunately.

Shouldn't be a problem -- just totally reboot dji go4 app before performing calibration.

Don’t hesitate to calibrate your compass if needed, just make sure no magnets, rebar, etc, near when you do.

I’m one who simply does not calibrate routinely, but would in a heartbeat if needed.

Keep us posted as to your results.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Do you guys think this the magnetic interference problem and compass calibration are related?

I had the same problem this afternoon right before my first flight. Tried turning it off and relocating to a different spot. Same issue. Then I remembered that my mavic was on my work bench yesterday and there was a little magnet stuck on it. I grabbed cfixer that I purchased this summer. Fix your compass error
Magnetic Interference issue went away and the odd thing is that it didn't ask to reset the compass but I did it anyways.

The recommendation from DJI is NOT to calibrate the compass before every flight. You risk replacing a"good" calibration with a bad one that can impact the flight.Calibrate based on DJI recommandations, not on a whim. Compass Calibration Guide

It is because you took off from those parking structures and whatnot and now the Magic is confused as to why all of a sudden there is a change in magnetic fields. Definitely calibrate it again!

I have found launching from a concrete surface can be a problem with interference. All concrete has rebar. It is my belief the rebar can interfere. I tried to launch from a concrete patio and got the interference message. Without shut down, I walked the drone to a grassy area and no problem.

I've got the same thing brand new just out of the box. Completed all updates, mavic won't even spin up the props. getting ready to call support.

Refusing to start the motors is not going to be related at all to magnetic interference.

Hi everyone...

I'm having a problem with a magnetic interference error with my new Mavic pro. Most of the research I've done seems to say that people were taking off from or near steel objects and that doesn't seem to be the problem with me. Here's what's going on:

Purchased drone and updated all software/firmware. Flew a handful of flights in Southern California from the top of the parking structures, in my back yard, around construction cranes, etc. and no problems. Everything works great and the video is awesome.

Two days ago I flew to Georgia to visit family and now wherever I try to set up to take off from I get the "magnetic interference - check app" error. I've tried taking off from a wooden balcony, driveway, open field with nothing in site for miles, and all the same problem. It says to calibrate the compass but all of the reading I've done has me very worried about doing it. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I'd really like to get some drone video while I'm out here but am worried about flying it with an error like that.

Thanks!

I'm totally out of my element here, but find myself wondering if Bluetooth devices, such as my "smart-watch" that connects via bluetooth to my cellular-device could be the cause of repeated "Electromagnetic Interference" warnings on my new MPP? I've tried removing the watch and just also turning-off the bluetooth functions, which "seems" to help, but ...... Any expert testimony on this possibility, specifically? Flew a previous Mavic Pro and never saw such a warning; now with the Platinum it's literally every flight - and worries me.

I'm certainly no expert but I think this issue could also be part of the.Great Android update of June 2018.

I'm having Mag Interference in well known places, even while trying to photograph my friends foundation on 20+ acres that don't even have electric yet.

I'm totally out of my element here, but find myself wondering if Bluetooth devices, such as my "smart-watch" that connects via bluetooth to my cellular-device could be the cause of repeated "Electromagnetic Interference" warnings on my new MPP? I've tried removing the watch and just also turning-off the bluetooth functions, which "seems" to help, but ...... Any expert testimony on this possibility, specifically? Flew a previous Mavic Pro and never saw such a warning; now with the Platinum it's literally every flight - and worries me.

There is no credible mechanism that I can think of for bluetooth communications, or any other realistic electromagnetic radiation for that matter, to affect the earth's magnetic field or the magnetometers on the aircraft.

Reactions: BudWalker

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman