DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden flight in temporary NoFlyZone. Mavic Platinum.

The Maestro

Reactions
Hi Folks...

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post but i'll post anyway and if it needs moved maybe a mod can let me know.

Recently purchased a Mavic Platinum and was looking forward to my first flight. I'm based in Scotland. I registered with the CAA, done the test etc and got my operator id.

So off I go for my first flight....i chose a destination where no one would be, a large empty car park. Just to let me get the hang of the drone.

Within 15 mins the police had arrived. Apparently the area was temporary NoFlyZone due to a Covid 19 hospital being within 2 nautical miles. Fair to say it was news to me! I had everything on factory settings and nothing had shown up on the DJI map.

I was told that they were seizing the drone and my iphone i had used to fly it. Without letting the story get too long, they ended up giving the equipment back and I was spoken to on the phone by an Inspector who made me aware of some issues.

I've got a couple of questions if anyone could help...?

Firstly, did the drone show up on some sort of radar or is there a tracking system that reports information if you are flying in a NFZ? Have had a google and its a bit unclear if the drone would show on radar so presuming the drone reports your location? How is this done and can it be turned off?

Secondly...do the police have the power at the moment to seize equipment in Scotland? Was a bit strange...i was told the equipment was being seized for evidence...however when I questioned if I was being charged with an offence they said no...so I asked how can they seize it? 10 mins later I had the stuff back so i'm thinking they couldn't have seized it?

Would appreciate any info or advice.

Thanks!

On the detection issue, I'd be very surprised if they were employing any kind of detection system other than at military bases and major airports. It's far more likely that someone saw you/it and called the police.

On the legal aspect, it seems that the current stressful situation is leading to some over-zealous attempts to invent laws on the hoof in some places. I wouldn't worry too much about it since it ended okay.

On the detection issue, I'd be very surprised if they were employing any kind of detection system other than at military bases and major airports. It's far more likely that someone saw you/it and called the police.

On the legal aspect, it seems that the current stressful situation is leading to some over-zealous attempts to invent laws on the hoof in some places. I wouldn't worry too much about it since it ended okay.

Thanks for reply.

I'm fairy sure the police said the drone had been detected...I believe there are military helicopters using the temp NFZ.

Is there drone detection as standard in the UK? No?

You can't only rely on DJI's map to determine the legality of flight in your area. There are often local country-specific resources as well that you need to be checking.

You can't only rely on DJI's map to determine the legality of flight in your area. There are often local country-specific resources as well that you need to be checking.

Yeah i've been made aware of that now. I've downloaded the Drone Assist NATS app.

Download the"Airmap" app it shows all nfz's, including temporary ones, and also displays notam's. ( Notice to airmen). You can filter it to UK data only.

Reactions: Gindra
In terms of the present UK lockdown flying a drone the way that you did is probably illegal.

Firstly I presume that you drove to the car park. That is not essential travel.

Secondly flying a drone cannot be described as exercise.

I think that somebody reported your drone flight. There is so little outdoor activity and ambient noise that it would have been audible a long way away.

I'm not flying at present and I won't be doing so until the lockdown situation eases.

The police over reacted but they may well have been annoyed at having to deal with a situation when their time may have been better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
In terms of the present UK lockdown flying a drone the way that you did is probably illegal.

Firstly I presume that you drove to the car park. That is not essential travel.

Secondly flying a drone cannot be described as exercise.

I think that somebody reported your drone flight. There is so little outdoor activity and ambient noise that it would have been audible a long way away.

I'm not flying at present and I won't be doing so until the lockdown situation eases.

The police over reacted but they may well have been annoyed at having to deal with a situation when their time may have been better spent elsewhere.

No, there was no driving involved however i accept your point re the covid restrictions.

The police i dealt with were not particularly bothered...just reacting to instructions received via their radios.

There wont have been any noise nuisance as a dual carriageway way was 200m away.

So it appears there isn't a warning system or tracking system used for drones in a NFZ?

No, there was no driving involved
Well, in that case then, I would assume that every other method of transportation to and from said car park would involve SOME degree of exercise, yeah? Then you can tell them it's your daily exercise and to get bent :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78