Join Us Now

Major obstacle avoidance fail

freefallnick

Reactions
04165bdbc27194296a8e2ba889a8a053.jpg
416182d7fdb719ed666f00128bbf03d1.jpg
254dd0d4433cd7f7e594970051a607eb.jpg
dbe8eec9a2750a065c5406e98e6655db.jpg

See photos for the after crash. I was flying it in P mode with active track follow, I had the dot at the bottom of phone screen off to the left which had the drone flying off to my left behind me, the trail approached some trees on my right but curved off to the left away from them and for a split second I thought about stopping and manually re positioning the drone but continued on and the drone straight it flew over my head right into the trees. It made a bunch of noise and fell to the ground upside with the blades still going, since it was upside down I grabbed it and put it on its side and it was still spinning away so I flipped it on it’s back again which finally turned off the props. I brought it back to my phone/controller and the image looked fine so the camera is hopefully ok. Is there anyway to test the gimbal without launching it? Only 1 blade is actually broken but the rest are all chewed up and I only have the 2 spare blades it came with but I really want to clean off the dirt and see if the gimbal is ok. I won’t be trusting AO sensors anymore after this :(

it appeara the gimbal isnt working anymore:

when i turn on the m2p the gimbal spins around and stuff but eventually stops with it pointing off in some random direction and I'm getting errors in the app like gimbal obstruction and motor overload. Is the gimbal broken? i cleaned out all the dirt with a paint brush before turning it on and nothing i can see appears broken but there's probably a lot of internal parts. camera appears to work.

IMU calibration is 100% successful but gimbal calibration starts at 10% and will not do anything. I felt the sides of the camera that connect to the gimbal and they don't get warm, the one that is like behind the camera gets maybe a little warm but nothing is hot or anything. Is there anything I can do or check without sending in to DJI? I mean I have refresh but I'd hate to spend 120$ and get back a refurb if there is some way to fix the one i have (if it hopefully flies with new props)

Last edited:
I notice that the camera never pointed upward during the initialization process. May be it's stuck in that direction.

Without seeing the trees concerned, it's hard to say if it's an OA fail.
It's very common for OA to not see fine foilage / branches, and if winter there it might have been fine twig like growth.

The Gimbal ?
Might be worth checking with @djidroneservice or a local DJI repairer to get some ideas to test it, and then an idea of approx cost.
Good luck.

Reactions: DDS
It appears i'd have to buy a new camera and gimbal even though there is a perfectly fine image out of the camera so I guess I'll have to just use my dji care and get a refurb unit :(

I notice in the video that the vertical movement motors are not moving at all. If you are sending it in for Refresh, it dosen't matter what you do to it so if you are mechanically inclined, I would check a few things first.

Here is a link to the Hassleblad teardown for reference.

You say the picture is fine so it looks like just the vertical motors are the only thing not functioning.
First I would make sure the gimbal cable is not damaged or partially unplugged if it plugs in. It looks like the gimbal took a pretty good hit.
Second would be to make sure nothing got lodged in those tiny slots around the vertical pivot point. If you do a teardown, that should take care of any internal derbis.

Like I said, if it is going in for refresh, it dosen't matter what condition it is in.

04165bdbc27194296a8e2ba889a8a053.jpg
416182d7fdb719ed666f00128bbf03d1.jpg
254dd0d4433cd7f7e594970051a607eb.jpg
dbe8eec9a2750a065c5406e98e6655db.jpg

See photos for the after crash. I was flying it in P mode with active track follow, I had the dot at the bottom of phone screen off to the left which had the drone flying off to my left behind me, the trail approached some trees on my right but curved off to the left away from them and for a split second I thought about stopping and manually re positioning the drone but continued on and the drone straight it flew over my head right into the trees. It made a bunch of noise and fell to the ground upside with the blades still going, since it was upside down I grabbed it and put it on its side and it was still spinning away so I flipped it on it’s back again which finally turned off the props. I brought it back to my phone/controller and the image looked fine so the camera is hopefully ok. Is there anyway to test the gimbal without launching it? Only 1 blade is actually broken but the rest are all chewed up and I only have the 2 spare blades it came with but I really want to clean off the dirt and see if the gimbal is ok. I won’t be trusting AO sensors anymore after this :(

it appeara the gimbal isnt working anymore:

when i turn on the m2p the gimbal spins around and stuff but eventually stops with it pointing off in some random direction and I'm getting errors in the app like gimbal obstruction and motor overload. Is the gimbal broken? i cleaned out all the dirt with a paint brush before turning it on and nothing i can see appears broken but there's probably a lot of internal parts. camera appears to work.

IMU calibration is 100% successful but gimbal calibration starts at 10% and will not do anything. I felt the sides of the camera that connect to the gimbal and they don't get warm, the one that is like behind the camera gets maybe a little warm but nothing is hot or anything. Is there anything I can do or check without sending in to DJI? I mean I have refresh but I'd hate to spend 120$ and get back a refurb if there is some way to fix the one i have (if it hopefully flies with new props)

I believe that the gimbal/camera can be controlled by putting a finger on the screen and sliding it around - left/right and up/down. So power it on, open the app and trying moving your finger on the screen. Also you can use the up/down wheels for that motion while on the ground.

Good luck.

If you post certain of your files, the experts can attempt to read them and tell what happened. But I might agree - that a thin twig could have interfered with flight and brought it down.

I believe that the gimbal/camera can be controlled by putting a finger on the screen and sliding it around - left/right and up/down. So power it on, open the app and trying moving your finger on the screen. Also you can use the up/down wheels for that motion while on the ground.

Good luck.

If you post certain of your files, the experts can attempt to read them and tell what happened. But I might agree - that a thin twig could have interfered with flight and brought it down.
it moves freely up and down and in all directions, it just doesn't do it on it's own when you turn it on. I don't feel any friction or anything when I move it. The camera is fine I wish i could just replace the gimbal parts but if my choices are gimbal with zoom and gimbal with hasselblad and "lens" stays attached to gimbal then i'm forced to dji care. No way can I shell out $700 for another hasselblad, i'd only do that if I had no insurance. Sucks it's only a month old and i'll be getting a refurb, flies just fine even with a few chewed up blades (I replaced 2 of them).

So I am following the video and have the gimbal assembly and camera removed. I started looking for damage and no plastic is broken however at the base of the gimbal motor below the camera it appears like it is off centered, is this normal? I’ll attach a picture with what I mean highlighted in red, you can see the left side of the part in the red rectangle is like more pushed in than the other side on the ride side of the rectangle. when i spin the camera around it looks like the same

Adjustments.JPG

I just noticed that in your video the Y-shape bracket did not move as well . It is possible that some electrical contact inside the red rectangle is broken so no power can be fed to the motors. Hope you can identify what's broken. There are parts available on Aliexpress. This is just an example. Search for "Mavic 2 gimbal" there : US $23.95 40% OFF|Repair Parts Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Motor Replacement For DJI Mavic 2 Pro / zoom Gimbal Accessories-in Drone Accessories Kits from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

I just noticed that in your video the Y-shape bracket did not move as well . It is possible that some electrical contact inside the red rectangle is broken so no power can be fed to the motors. Hope you can identify what's broken. There are parts available on Aliexpress. This is just an example. Search for "Mavic 2 gimbal" there : US $23.95 40% OFF|Repair Parts Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Motor Replacement For DJI Mavic 2 Pro / zoom Gimbal Accessories-in Drone Accessories Kits from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

The connector coming off that doesn’t look anything like mine tho

IMG_2155.JPG

Another thing I noticed is the space between the 2 gimbals holding the camera are spaced differently, should these be the same?
is there software i can use to determine which motor is struggling?

Adjustments.JPG

Last edited:
So I am following the video and have the gimbal assembly and camera removed. I started looking for damage and no plastic is broken however at the base of the gimbal motor below the camera it appears like it is off centered, is this normal? I’ll attach a picture with what I mean highlighted in red, you can see the left side of the part in the red rectangle is like more pushed in than the other side on the ride side of the rectangle. when i spin the camera around it looks like the same

View attachment 88733
I just took a look at mine and what is in the rectangle should be even all the way around. Something is bent there.

Another thing I noticed is the space between the 2 gimbals holding the camera are spaced differently, should these be the same?
is there software i can use to determine which motor is struggling?

View attachment 88740
It is the same with these. Spaced the same and even all the way around.
It looks like it landed on the gimbal.

If you do go with the refresh, I have heard of some getting brand new birds and not a refurb. I have gotten a new bird twice now, but that was for warranty reasons.

It is the same with these. Spaced the same and even all the way around.
It looks like it landed on the gimbal.

If you do go with the refresh, I have heard of some getting brand new birds and not a refurb. I have gotten a new bird twice now, but that was for warranty reasons.
how long did it take to get the replacement?

how long did it take to get the replacement?
They shipped it the day after they got it both times. I am in the Midwest and they are in California so the biggest time for me was shipping. Shipped Tuesday and got here the following Monday, still not that bad though. If you are on the west coast, it should be quicker shipping.

They shipped it the day after they got it both times. I am in the Midwest and they are in California so the biggest time for me was shipping. Shipped Tuesday and got here the following Monday, still not that bad though. If you are on the west coast, it should be quicker shipping.
Im in WA so on the west coast, I really just want to have a working bird by Jan 25 as I will be headed somewhere really neat and scenic. I guess I'll submit the repair request right now and try to get it shipped out as soon I can get it out, might have to wait until 12/26 due to the holiday :( Glad to hear it's in cali, that's usually only a few days under normal circumstances.

I put the drone back together and the gimbal seems to move a lot more but ends it’s movements pointing down and to the side the same way

One or two things got bent a bit. You can see it still struggling a bit and the start sequence seems to try to continue for a bit where it normally quits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21