DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Make sure you have a spotter when doing FPV!

Nickvr628

Reactions
So here is a story, and also cautionary tale, for those using FPV systems (especially near airports).

I am a student at an aviation university built onto an airport, and I was flying my Mavic with a friend about 1.5-2 miles away at a nearby field. I had called the tower and unlocked the zone, as is standard since we are so close. The school has a ton of sUAS pilots, so the airport is well aware, and basically tells us not to be idiots when flying.

We are testing the Litchi FPV system (which works really well, go out and buy a $10 "VR Headset" to try it) and staying at about 200-300 feet. My friend has the headset on, so I am watching the drone. Then, one of the student pilots at the airport takes off and begins a very tight corner which ends up pointing at the drone! I saw this, and told my friend to drop to 150 feet, and then a few seconds later to drop to 75 just to be safe. The aircraft goes harmlessly over it, but it was by far the closest an aircraft got to the drone.

If I had not notified my friend about the coming aircraft, he probably would not have seen it. Make sure that if you are using an FPV headset, you have a spotter to watch out for things like aircraft, curious birds, and other potential hazards! It is very easy to get tunnel vision when wearing the headset, and you lose a lot of situational awareness.

Fly safe!

Reactions: 3D JUNKIE
That is very good advice. Yes here comes the "but". That is really low that far from the airport. I have to wonder why. But, we both know things don't always work the way they should.

Yeah most of the time they take off and go fairly straight off the runway, this person did an immediate left turn after taking off, and had a fairly low AoA. When I first saw the aircraft it was at about the same height as the drone. Although the aircraft was probably at the 450-500 foot mark as it passed over our mavic, I had my friend bring it way down just to be safe.

Also, when you get the the information before take off, they normally warn you of what is going on, like the area you where in. Back to, things don't go as planned. Being a student means your learning. Good thing you where on your toes, are we would have been reading about drone hits plane. Not, plane hits drone. Some thing like that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998