DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Man Cited for Using Drone Above Lava Flow in Hawaii

Seems to me a perfect situation to fly into, risk losing your equipment if you’re willing to, a TFR in this case should be for manned aircraft since obviously volcanoes are inherently dangerous etc. I understand maybe there are rescue helicopters nearby possibly? But it seems to me there should be some middle ground in this situation, maybe a lower altitude ceiling or something?. Hell, what if the drone spots somebody that needs rescuing that was overlooked otherwise? Can’t imagine anything more exhilarating than flying into a volcano...

Seems to me a perfect situation to fly into, risk losing your equipment if you’re willing to, a TFR in this case should be for manned aircraft since obviously volcanoes are inherently dangerous etc. I understand maybe there are rescue helicopters nearby possibly? But it seems to me there should be some middle ground in this situation, maybe a lower altitude ceiling or something?. ****, what if the drone spots somebody that needs rescuing that was overlooked otherwise? Can’t imagine anything more exhilarating than flying into a volcano...
i agree cool as hell their fears were for emergency services and helicopters flying in that area..

they DID use a government public safety drone that was doing an aerial survey to lead people out.

TFR's are for a reason, there are too many public safety and other ESSENTIAL aircraft, including sUAV's there to have some idiot with a drone wander into the area.

Give an inch, they take a mile. That is why EVERYONE is grounded that is not allowed under the NOTAM/TFR

Guess this is why people are resorting to gopros and carrier pigeons.

No reason why a middle ground can't be reached that would allow those who live in the area to also safely document this historic eruption.

...we had a small brushfire near me last week...we are now under a TFR until august! - they definitely err on the side of caution, LOL!

Reactions: SvenG and David73
Seems to me a perfect situation to fly into, risk losing your equipment if you’re willing to, a TFR in this case should be for manned aircraft since obviously volcanoes are inherently dangerous etc. I understand maybe there are rescue helicopters nearby possibly? But it seems to me there should be some middle ground in this situation, maybe a lower altitude ceiling or something?. ****, what if the drone spots somebody that needs rescuing that was overlooked otherwise? Can’t imagine anything more exhilarating than flying into a volcano...
The reason there isn't a middle ground is because people violate the law when there is no middle ground and if we allow a middle ground then people will violate the middle ground. We live in a society and our society has rules. If you don't like the rules then please leave. By breaking the rules you make life miserable for the rest of us. It really is THAT simple. Do you want a middle ground so you can carry an unloaded pistol into a school? Do you want a middle ground so you can get half-way drunk and still drive a car?

There used to be a point in time where you could send a child through the mail. Just attach some stamps to their clothing and off they went! Good thing someone didn't just tuck their tail and leave and had that rule changed!!

The TFR that's in place over the lava flows is from the surface up to 3000'. Sightseeing companies presented their case that the TFR was overly restrictive and a common ground was reached that allows them to operate over the lava flows, but not Halemaumau Crater.

Reactions: jahjahwarrior
UH is there documenting the event and collecting data for research purposes. Cripes if a university geology department can't use a drone for scientific purposes then we all might as well hang it up

Reactions: Mavman
The reason there isn't a middle ground is because people violate the law when there is no middle ground and if we allow a middle ground then people will violate the middle ground. We live in a society and our society has rules. If you don't like the rules then please leave. By breaking the rules you make life miserable for the rest of us. It really is THAT simple. Do you want a middle ground so you can carry an unloaded pistol into a school? Do you want a middle ground so you can get half-way drunk and still drive a car?

It actually isn’t that simple. Not all rules are good rules and bad rules should be challenged. Don’t like our democratic society or our right to defend our freedom? Please leave. It really is that simple.

It actually isn’t that simple. Not all rules are good rules and bad rules should be challenged. Don’t like our democratic society or our right to defend our freedom? Please leave. It really is that simple.
It really IS that simple. As hobby quadcopter owners, we all should know that 90% of these rules are ridiculous knee jerk reactions born of ignorance. If you don’t know this and support them then YOU are part of the problem. Stop hiding behind this veil of “we’re standing up against anarchy” nonsense.

It really IS that simple. As hobby quadcopter owners, we all should know that 90% of these rules are ridiculous knee jerk reactions born of ignorance. If you don’t know this and support them then YOU are part of the problem. Stop hiding behind this veil of “we’re standing up against anarchy” nonsense.

What? I never said that. In fact you just attacked me and accused me of having views the opposite of what I posted.

Ah. It didn’t communicate that way. Sorry. It was a reply with a lot of “you”s that appeared directed at me.
Sorry, I definitely wasn’t directing my comments to you. You said it well!
We need to make our voices heard. It’s the only way things will change. Unfortunately, many here don’t want things to change.

I am a HAM. My wife is not. If there is an emergency, she can operate my HAM transmitter.
Basically, all bets are off in emergency situations. I am guessing that applies here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98