DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manually unfold props or spin out

Three plus years of heavy 107 flying and never folding them out!
I don’t remember at the moment but got the MP when first released and started then and worked fine then so just never
changed my routine. Don’t even open the Mini’s but do watch
it hover a few feet up for making sure it’s hovering correctly.
Like I said it most likely isn’t the best idea it’s just the way I have always done it. Never any issues with props other then when I get careless and clip a branch which I have several times ?

The Minis differ, their props are so free on the their pivots that they 'are flung out' very easily and quickly and, being honest, I leave them as the sat when I set the drone down either for a take off from a surface or from my hand. By comparson the pivots of the props of 'proper' Mavics are 'quite' stiff and hold the blades in place until the rotation is quite fast. ( At least that is my experience with the props from an M2P/Z and a mistakenly order set for a Mavic Air 2)

If you have a 'proper' Mavic and a Mini compare where the blades sit after the motors stop.
I bet those of the proper Mavic are in the fully extended position or very near it, whilst the blades of the Minis' are 'thrown' 'forward', in their direction of travel, until they hit the hub of the other blade. Plus... the Minis' blades are a lot lighter than those of a 'proper' Mavic

I think it would be rather interesting to see a super slow motion video of the start up and stop of Mini motors just to see what the blades do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried spinning up the motors with props folded, ONCE. It was just to see if they'd unfold on their own. It is just common sense to unfold them before flight - the obvious stresses are just too compelling to ignore. Sort of the same logic I always do an extra push down on my battery to ensure the clips are engaged and secure.

But I also accept the fact some people never check their tire pressure, either. Each to their own. So when I see a guy off to the side of the road with a flat tire, I'm not really surprised.

On the official DJI forum the people who represent DJI on there have said many times to unfold them before flight. Referencing safety as a concern.

Reactions: Tufargon
I tried spinning up the motors with props folded, ONCE. It was just to see if they'd unfold on their own. It is just common sense to unfold them before flight - the obvious stresses are just too compelling to ignore. Sort of the same logic I always do an extra push down on my battery to ensure the clips are engaged and secure.

But I also accept the fact some people never check their tire pressure, either. Each to their own. So when I see a guy off to the side of the road with a flat tire, I'm not really surprised.
Well I guess I just don’t have common sense but never have nor will.?
You do yours as you please and I and others will do ours as well.
But please do not call ones that leave them closed when starting up as not having … common sense… as I find that rude and I don’t tolerate nor does the forum being rude to others .

Reactions: SkittleBob and okw
Well I guess I just don’t have common sense but never have nor will.?
You do yours as you please and I and others will do ours as well.
But please do not call ones that leave them closed when starting up as not having … common sense… as I find that rude and I don’t tolerate nor does the forum being rude to others .
Yeah - I often forget what comes as common sense to some isn't as obvious to others. The motors have bearings, the bearings are not designed for radial loads. So any unbalance adds stress on bearings not designed for that stress. Whether you get lucky and the motors survive, that's just chance. Some may not be as lucky as others.

ps: rudeness was never intended.

I don’t remember at the moment but got the MP when first released and started then and worked fine then so just never
changed my routine. Don’t even open the Mini’s but do watch
it hover a few feet up for making sure it’s hovering correctly.
Like I said it most likely isn’t the best idea it’s just the way I have always done it. Never any issues with props other then when I get careless and clip a branch which I have several times ?
I was showing my friend how fast the Mini goes not realising we were stood in front of a tree, needless to say I had to switch two of my rotors…

Yeah - I often forget what comes as common sense to some isn't as obvious to others. The motors have bearings, the bearings are not designed for radial loads. So any unbalance adds stress on bearings not designed for that stress. Whether you get lucky and the motors survive, that's just chance. Some may not be as lucky as others.
Fully aware what they have and most likely fly lots more than others. Lucky like that. But now rudeness as I said I will not tolerate
or never will. Now let me also say being about the 5th member here
and read about everything I have never seen a thread where there
was a issue starting them up with them closed on a Mavic .
Now I’m not going to argue it as it isn't productive. Take the time to open yours but I’m not. ?‍♂️

I was showing my friend how fast the Mini goes not realising we were stood in front of a tree, needless to say I had to switch two of my rotors…
Tried stoping mine in flight right above my head leaning against a
tree when I first got it and learned it doest stop as fast as a MP
and lost 4 props. Live and learn. ?

Tried stoping mine in flight right above my head leaning against a
tree when I first got it and learned it doest stop as fast as a MP
and lost 4 props. Live and learn. ?
Free hair cut?

Reactions: dirkclod
I see a video here regarding this, but it reminded me of a past props thread where someone posted a couple of vidoe tests . . .

Stealth Propellers

As a matter of fitting my bayonet fit props, I just seem to mostly unfold them anyway to push and twist on, habit now.
Habit is what I’m talking about. It’s what you’ve done and what you
have a habit off. We all have what we’re used to and what has worked for us and that’s what we do. I really don’t think it matters
if we’re comfortable with what we do. Some says it matters some don’t. But in the end what works for you and you’re comfortable
with is what you should do.

What is the preferred method of unfolding props? Manually or let them spin out on takeoff?
Personally I manually unfol, for the time it takes why stress the motors?

Personally I manually unfol, for the time it takes why stress the motors?
Proof of stress ? Or just an opinion. Guys this could go on for
many post but really see no need. Someone put up proof or
this is wasted space.

Reactions: SkittleBob
Do the videos above show some seriously more noticeable vibration and frame shaking with folded props at start up ?
It was only a link above (#32) I posted to the particular vids someone put up . . . I'll post the YouTube links below.

Not sure this equates to stress or if it's bad for the aircraft long term, but it looked like it would be good to avoid the shaking for the sake of how easy it is to open them.

I didn't start to unfold mine when a new pilot for that reason particularly, just find it easier to grip the prop hub between the open blades to push and seat the bayonet properly.

Have to admit when I did see those videos I was glad I had unfolded them from the time I started fitting them.
The slow motion it is particularly noticeable.

One more thing since were talking about unfolding props I never fold my arms or legs because I use a seahorse case on all three DJI drone, I should’ve made a new post or thread to let everyone know that if your avid flyer and you want to protect your precious investment for a long time as I do folding in the legs overtime common sense would let us all know that the wires that pass through those joints Will eventually Fray so if you never fold in your legs only to do a imu calibration it will last five times as long as someone that keeps folding the legs in just my thoughts to all the flyers
After repairing a fair number of Mavic and Mavic 2, I am confident, that folding the legs has no impact on wear and tear on the motor wires. The wires of the AFT legs are twisted and have sufficient slack and the FWD legs are well guided and protected by a braided sleeve. Not sure where I read this, but as far as I remember DJIs design considers about 4500 leg-foldings.

Attachments

• DSC_9414 .JPG
    DSC_9414 .JPG
    8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: SkittleBob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members