DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Many, if not most, drone businesses and operators are flying without 107 certification. Per a popular drone website.

True that.
I figure that would be a very rare case, most would fly their own drones to be viable . . . but it could happen.

Here a commercial drone pilot needs to be licensed, very much like your Part 107, it's called RePL (Remote Pilots Licence).
This can allow some exemptions from the general rules for drones, mostly with extra training and authorisation.

If you are a drone business operator, they need what's known as an ReOC, Remotely (piloted aircraft) Operators Certificate.
Without this you cannot trade as a drone service provider.

I'm not sure of an RePL holder ALSO needs to be ReOC approved too . . . I think so if they are pilot and business owner.

We also have a weird "Excluded Category" that allows an unlicensed person to fly for business, but following the reasonably strict drone rules, mostly close to US rules, and only for sub 2kg drones.
Examples of businesses that fly under this excluded category (from our CASA website) may include photographers and film makers, real estate agents, researchers, construction workers and tradespeople, government and community service providers.

I don't THINK the US has a category like this ??

Excluded pilots need to obtain an ARN (aviation reference number), do a very basic online accreditation to show they understand the rules, register their drones, and they are good to go, ALL FREE of charge.
I've always thought that must really rub RePL owners the wrong way just a little, but I've never really seen it mentioned in any posts online anywhere regarding the Australian position on that.
Is there a list of all the acronyms used in this trade/hobby? Thx

This is another interesting thread title. May as well say “some guy interviewed by drone blogger says nobody in his town cares about whether pilot has 107 so extrapolating from that virtually no one is properly licensed to fly commercially anywhere in the country.”

Is there a list of all the acronyms used in this trade/hobby? Thx

Not sure, much of the terms / acronyms for local licencing etc will be country relative.
For example the UK you'll see terms for their licences mention A1, A2, and A3 CofC, PfCO, GVC, aircraft of C0 and C1 category, all very official sounding, and to those in other countries, confusing.

Some terms here are handy to know, but often take a bit of thinking (or bracketed expansion once in the post) to work out new ones.
Some I find good for the forum use as they can be a pain to type out all the time (some are official, some are invented by members here).

LOS (line of sight) for signal
VLOS (visual line of sight) you can actually see the drone
AGL (above ground level)
ATOP (above take off point)
TOAL (take off and landing) only just picked this one up from a post here a few days ago
HP (home point)

There must be more that don't spring to mind.
Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but the "Ultimate guide to drone acronyms and terms" might be a good idea.
Posted by members as they come up and sorted in the main post alphabetically, could be helpful to many.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada