DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map view

UGDroneR

Reactions
So, new here.
I have Mavic2, pro with smart controller. Moved from west coast to wisconsin.
When switching to the map while in flight:

Before move the track, path, was true to the direction of flight. If I flew directly away from controller the path showed direction also directly away from controller. Ie clock direction -12.

Since move the path shown is obliqe and off to the right. Ie clock direction 2.

Recalibrated compass did not fix the relative path direction on the in flight map.
Any help, thoughts? Probably pilot error, just don't know which error.
Thank you

Whether in North Up view or Head Up view, the map will show which way is North. When judging the AC orientation shown on the map, compare relative to map north.

Androids are notorious for their compasses losing calibration, so if you are facing north, the map might not show north as up, up supposedly representing what's ahead of you. But if you looked at a road on the map you know to be north-south, you'll see it is parallel to the compass needle on the map.

That's why it's not always easy to tell if the AC compass is distorted before takeoff. You need a known landmark reference on the map.

Not necessarily. The compass rose also has a north indication mark, and so you can compare that to the aircraft orientation provided that you know which way is north. I would never rely entirely on the relative orientation of the aircraft and controller to confirm that the yaw was correctly initialized.

That's just it. When you're in the middle of a park, you might not be sure which way is North, or could be several degrees off to the direction you thought was straight north.

About the only way to know is if you have GPS, use a map app that takes advantage of GPS as well as compass for heading, and take a walk.

That's just it. When you're in the middle of a park, you might not be sure which way is North, or could be several degrees off to the direction you thought was straight north.

About the only way to know is if you have GPS, use a map app that takes advantage of GPS as well as compass for heading, and take a walk.

I've really never had a problem with this. A few degrees off is not important - that gets corrected quickly. I generally use my phone compass (before connection to the RC) to find true north and then orientate the landing pad correctly. After powering up the aircraft I just compare the app compass display to the landing pad.

Have you tried calibrating the compass in the Smart Controller? When doing it, I found I had to move the controller about twice as fast as their on screen graphic shows for it to work. Otherwise the "calibration failed" came up every time I tried. Take your watch off as well during the calibration, if you wear one. The drone lets you know when to calibrate it, but the Smart Controller doesn't do so.

Recalibrated compass did not fix the relative path direction on the in flight map.
Any help, thoughts? Probably pilot error, just don't know which error.
I too have a Smart Controller (SC) for Mavic 2 Pro. I'd tried calibrating compass in SC Settings prior to connecting to aircraft, but did not correct incorrect orientation. Somewhere on this forum, someone suggested SC Settings compass calibration after connecting to drone. This has worked perfectly.

Thank you all very much.
Before I moved to the mid west there were no such problems.
I'll try each suggestion, and much appreciated for each.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest