DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mapping with 3d printing using your drone

wytnyt

Reactions
ive spent the last few days reading topics discussing using your drone for mapping but nothing being discussed printing 3d objects using a drone.
has anyone used their drone to take pictures of objects and 3d printed them?
is there a program that can be used to incorporate pics taken of an object and 3d print it?
im getting ready to buy a printer and would like to use my drone in the process.
any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: NicknMorty
That would be an interesting project. How did you go with your research? Find any programs?
Regards

I have used Agisoft Metashape Professional (64 bit) in the past. Depending on how well your final model is makes all the difference in your print.

Last edited:
I'd think most of the photo array to 3d model tools out there would do okay. As stated above, it will depend on what sort of resolution you are hoping for. But photo to point array appears to have some issues, so doubt it will be as easy as 1-2-3 ...

I've downloaded and played with a couple free tools. While the samples worked okay, and the process seems simple enough, I have yet to get a good enough array of photos that work. Contrast, subject color and texture, subject lighting, background clutter, all play into the final point cloud and tuning the process seems touchy.

Here's Prusa's video on the subject.

• Wow
Reactions: NicknMorty
I'd think most of the photo array to 3d model tools out there would do okay. As stated above, it will depend on what sort of resolution you are hoping for. But photo to point array appears to have some issues, so doubt it will be as easy as 1-2-3 ...

I've downloaded and played with a couple free tools. While the samples worked okay, and the process seems simple enough, I have yet to get a good enough array of photos that work. Contrast, subject color and texture, subject lighting, background clutter, all play into the final point cloud and tuning the process seems touchy.

Here's Prusa's video on the subject.

That was illuminating, now I wish I could afford the printer. 😀

That was illuminating, now I wish I could afford the printer. 😀
$1500 drone vs $750 printer? I'm using the Mk3, and can confirm it's a pretty good printer for the money.

I haven't tried Meshlab for photogrammetry, but it looks much easier than the few I have tried.

$1500 drone vs $750 printer? I'm using the Mk3, and can confirm it's a pretty good printer for the money.

I haven't tried Meshlab for photogrammetry, but it looks much easier than the few I have tried.
I wish, mk3 in Oz is 1800 DIY and 2249 assembled. I’ll just have to save my pennies.😀
Regards

Is the exchange rate that bad? Are you sure we are talking the same printer?

$749USD kit, $999USD Assembled -- and shipping is usually under $100USD.

Prusa is also shipping the Mini - it's been out long enough most of the warts have been removed.

It certainly is that bad, plus custom’s duty, drives you nuts.
Regards

I bought an Aldi printer (balco rebrand) which is essentially also a flashforge rebrand. Not well known but does excellent work on what I want which is accessories for my drones. Aus$499. There are better known printers around but for my level of usage and interest (basically slight rework and print, not design) it just works. It also looks good and is quiet, being situated in my living room.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_