DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo tracker placement

It is $5/month so it is $60/year.

View attachment 4331

Ah crap.. it is 5$ a month but that is not until after your first 12 months of free coverage are used up.

It came with a sim card installed that has one year subscription loaded on it already. So its not a sham where they get your credit card number to charge a subscription on upfront.

Well even at 5$ a month i will continue to pay it when my 12 months are up. I used to burn alot $ on cigs/soda and i been off both for over a year so i can justify spending less than 1pack a month on drone security its cool.

But hey THANK YOU for correcting my stubborn ars... i swore it was 5$ a year as do many others seem to think the same from reading forum posts.. i bet trackimo co did that on purpose

All the other trackers i looked at were like 15-30$ per month so 5 really is cheapest ive found still. Marco polo is still spendy by comparison imo mainly because of its old school user interface & short range. If i were an rc plane/quad guy with more than just a Mavic i could definitely see the value in it tho. Too each there own, some peeps absolutely swear by it

Last edited:
Marco Polo is nice if u can afford it but still its only a 2ndary tracker like the tile but with more range in my opinion. Cuz marco polo range is less than half the max range of mavic... ide like to use all 3 tho haha

If all you use is marco polo u got to admit there is some risk of ur drone getting out of range. Also What if someone picks it up and starts walking off with it before u get there etc etc

I like both solutions but with regards to drones and where you may end up flying them I think the Marco Polo is actually a better option. The Trackimo relies on a cell network, go fly out in the wilderness somewhere and that might not be available. The MarcoPolo does not have this limitation although as you said the range it limited.

Also re. your last point, what exactly is stopping someone walking off with the drone if you have a Trackimo attached? If someone is going to do that they will probably just rip whatever is attached to the drone off and walk away :D

Reactions: ronzer
Doesn't the mavic controller show where the mavic is on the map? Or last position? Like if it flys away somehow .. couldn't you just track it down with the controller ?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

...trying to find a good mount point for tile and marcopolo units - can anyone tell me if there are any sensitive tech bits underneath the rear area that shouldn't be covered for science-type reasons or some such? - thanks!IMG_5571.JPG

Doesn't the mavic controller show where the mavic is on the map? Or last position? Like if it flys away somehow .. couldn't you just track it down with the controller ?

If you lose connection to the drone (what happens with most fly-aways) then it will only show the last position before it jollied off on its own. The only way to find it then is with an external tracking device.

...trying to find a good mount point for tile and marcopolo units - can anyone tell me if there are any sensitive tech bits underneath the rear area that shouldn't be covered for science-type reasons or some such? - thanks!

Yes, you have the GPS antenna and one compass in the tail. I would not leave that tag on top of it :)

...trying to find a good mount point for tile and marcopolo units - can anyone tell me if there are any sensitive tech bits underneath the rear area that shouldn't be covered for science-type reasons or some such? - thanks!View attachment 4365
Not positive but isn't the GPS sensor in the back? Maybe it is in the front but I thought I saw a teardown where it showed it in the back.

Not positive but isn't the GPS sensor in the back? Maybe it is in the front but I thought I saw a teardown where it showed it in the back.
It is in the tail along with one of he compasses. Bad idea having the tag on top there :(

...hmmm, drat and double drat - ok; would the side of the folding arms be a good non-interfering place for the tile to live? - trying to find the right fairly permanent place with no interference electronically and as little interference aerodynamically AND still be able to quickly grab from the bag and fly without having to add fidgety little components all over the place first...hmmm...will have to find a diagram of the internal layout - don't suppose anyone's got one of those handy??? ;)

How does the velcro hold on the tracker & the Mavic? Pretty good or easy to come off?
I use industrial Velcro, believe me, that thing is NOT falling off. I don't like the battery placement as I would have to put velcro on all 5, then move it each time I change one. I don't like on the front because.... well, it looks bad, and the rear has to be perfectly centered or it gets eaten by a prop. So the side is best for me, looks OK, antenna is vertical for best range, and it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Ah crap.. it is 5$ a month but that is not until after your first 12 months of free coverage are used up.

It came with a sim card installed that has one year subscription loaded on it already. So its not a sham where they get your credit card number to charge a subscription on upfront.

Well even at 5$ a month i will continue to pay it when my 12 months are up. I used to burn alot $ on cigs/soda and i been off both for over a year so i can justify spending less than 1pack a month on drone security its cool.

But hey THANK YOU for correcting my stubborn ars... i swore it was 5$ a year as do many others seem to think the same from reading forum posts.. i bet trackimo co did that on purpose

All the other trackers i looked at were like 15-30$ per month so 5 really is cheapest ive found still. Marco polo is still spendy by comparison imo mainly because of its old school user interface & short range. If i were an rc plane/quad guy with more than just a Mavic i could definitely see the value in it tho. Too each there own, some peeps absolutely swear by it
I fly where there is no cell service a lot, so a cellular tracker would be useless, I tested the range of the MP at 2 miles, and I almost never fly that far out. If it did happen to land out of range you just have to travel in the general direction it went (foot, car,bike,camel) and when you get within 2 miles it will ping the Mavic. As for someone picking it up and walking off with it, well, that pretty much goes for your trackamo to, at least the MP doesn't have the word TRACK printed on it, you think the thief might see that big old hunking thing and get rid of it as it's pretty obvious what it is. Hint: change the label on the 911 button to PWR.

...hmmm, drat and double drat - ok; would the side of the folding arms be a good non-interfering place for the tile to live? - trying to find the right fairly permanent place with no interference electronically and as little interference aerodynamically AND still be able to quickly grab from the bag and fly without having to add fidgety little components all over the place first...hmmm...will have to find a diagram of the internal layout - don't suppose anyone's got one of those handy??? ;)

Have my TrackR installed on the back along the 45 degree or so slopped bit above the light. Compass reading is fine in DJI go 4. The double GPs is up front works for me no issues. Not positive there's a compass there. trackR is only crowd gps but for one year foc and 60 after that for gps you can leave in anything I'll be going down that route ... Rather I just did on the site is a a sale on ... someone please correct me about compass, even if there it's not interfering at all. 40 or so flights no grief or compass issues. ?

Fly safe... :)

...hmmm, come to think of it, I've had an older, even thicker, tile tracker directly atop my p4 for almost a year and over a hundred flights with zero problems and if I'm not mistaken, I believe someone told me the GPS antenna is located directly below that...so wondering if it actually is a such a horrible/bad/silly/stupid idea to place the wee tile mate above the mavic's tail? - I'm always curious about these interference issues: I know placing material between the signal and receptor will degrade the signal, BUT, how do we find out if it will affect the signal reception by .032% or 32%??? - any pilots out there with "mad science" backgrounds wanna take a crack at explaining the degree of interference one can expect from such attachments to a UAS??? - or even a suggestion as to how one might measure and test such a thing? - big thanks in advance! (...here's lookin' at you msinger!!!)

any pilots out there with "mad science" backgrounds wanna take a crack at explaining the degree of interference one can expect from such attachments to a UAS?
Nice idea. I'm not sure how such a thing could be measured.

I use industrial Velcro, believe me, that thing is NOT falling off. I don't like the battery placement as I would have to put velcro on all 5, then move it each time I change one. I don't like on the front because.... well, it looks bad, and the rear has to be perfectly centered or it gets eaten by a prop. So the side is best for me, looks OK, antenna is vertical for best range, and it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Hey if you don't mind where did you buy your industrial Velcro from?

Reactions: jerryflah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000