DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marking your Drone

Ended up with a more professional look - snagged a couple sets of these - they came within a couple weeks. One on each battery, FAA regs on the struts, a "Call this number" sticker inside the battery compartment area and one on the bottom side.

I'm make these custom vinyl decals. They are waterproof, durable, look great, and are available in various sizes/colors.

Reactions: Thomas B
So Transport Canada (and I will assume the FAA), requires Drone Operators mark their drones with their Registration Number and other info. What are you using to mark your Drone with. I used a Permanent Marker and it just wipes off with minimal handling. Are you fellow operators using label makers or what?

I just use a permanent marker and write it on the props. Props simple to replace if ever needed. The Mavic 2 Pro has a pretty simple (two screws) and inexpensive (couple $) to replace front skin. That is also a good place to put reg number. I'm not a big fan of putting the number on the body in a place that hard or expensive to replace - if I ever unregister the drone.

Reactions: Jaysjob
I used a label maker with weatherproof ink. Attached contact info and FAA registration to body exterior and inside battery compartment

All 3 of my drone are marked with vinyl decals that I had made.... each letter/numbers are individual decals.... looks great and professional ?

Since the drone isn't exposed to the elements (rain, snow, long durations in sunlight, etc.) I print the registration number on one line, my e-mail address on a second line and using a sheet of regular printer paper (12 font) make enough copies to last a lifetime. Cut them off to make individual labels, cut a section of regular adhesive tape to size and tape them on the drone. Nothing complicated and can be done in ten minutes while sipping coffee.

Like others, I use the Brother P-Touch TZ labels and put my phone number and email address on the drone. No certification numbers here yet.
We are in the same area. Registration and a registration number label is a requirement. Or am I missing something? (I am new at this)

On my M2P, I made a copy of the registration and cut it to my name and the registration ID. I used packing tape to attach it to the bottom of the cavity that the battery fits into. It can be accessed without tools and meets the FAA requirement.

On my M2P, I made a copy of the registration and cut it to my name and the registration ID. I used packing tape to attach it to the bottom of the cavity that the battery fits into. It can be accessed without tools and meets the FAA requirement.

You probably started doing this a while back and never caught the changes to this.

FAA now says:
“drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment.”

Source: FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change

You probably started doing this a while back and never caught the changes to this.

FAA now says:
“drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment.”

Source: FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change

Subsequently, law enforcement officials and the FAA’s interagency security partners have expressed concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a drone’s registration number. The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone.

OK, Then I'll remove it and place it on a leg. Should do it.

I got a custom skin from Decalgirl and had both my FAA registration and phone number put on it. If I didn't do that I was going to print out some decals. You can make your own.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_190447.jpg
    IMG_20190522_190447.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
When they start pulling people over for talking on a cell phone (I've never seen this happen), I'll start worrying about this. When they attempt to enforce the "do not call" telephone list (I get 4-5 calls a day), I'll start worrying about this.

Even things that used to be enforced are no longer a priority. It has been over a decade -- read that again: TEN YEARS -- since I've seen anyone in this county pulled over for speeding. We don't even have police coverage from sundown to sunrise (actually announced three years ago, just so the bad guys would know).

The police have other priorities.

So, the chances -- at least here in Central California -- of anyone citing someone for not having a few numbers painted on their drone are somewhere between zero and none. I've actually researched how many hobby drone operators, nationwide, have been cited, and while it is not zero, the total who have actually had to pay a fine may, in fact, be zero. For the others, the charges were dropped.

I used a sharpie after cleaning with 98% alcohol. It stays on well. In UK, they have to use a fireproof tag, actually sounds like a good idea.

Hi. Can I ask what you mean by “ In the U.K. they have to use a fireproof tag...” . We currently have no compulsory registration (coming Oct) and don’t need to mark our craft in anyway if we don’t wish to fireproof or not. Just wondering were you got that idea from? Thanks. Peter

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent