DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Airscrew Motor Current Warning

jspil

Reactions
Hello everyone, I have a quick question to anyone that has purchased the new Master Airscrew Stealth props. I just received mine today and they seem to work great. However I keep getting a "motor current " warning while flying with them. Dose anyone know exactly what this warning means? The warning comes and goes several times during the flight with no noticable performance issues. I just want to make sure continued use of these props isn't hurting anything. Thanks as always for any insight, it is very much appreciated.

Reactions: SixStringer1000
BDOG, Thanks for the link. I just got an email back from MAS basically telling me the same thing. There message said that the current warning was only being seen while in sport mode. I was seeing the warning in P-Mode taking it very easy. The message also said to set all gain settings to 80. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will repost when I do and report how it goes. Thanks again for taking time to answer my question.

Reactions: zzxrox and BD0G
80 seems low to me. Why not work them down from 100 in small increments until you see an improvement and no current warning messages?

80 seems low to me. Why not work them down from 100 in small increments until you see an improvement and no current warning messages?
Doing what MAS suggested did in fact stabilize it. I agree with you though and think its just a blanket statement. Just gotta find a sweet spot and get the motor control error out. I need to look at my flight logs again but it seems like it gets the error while decending mostly. I havent even tried sports mode with it yet.

I may be speaking out of turn here as I haven't bought these, but I'm reading a TON of posts about warnings and "flutter" and stuff. Again, maybe I'm just dumb, but seems like the Mavic is trying to tell us something...like a body rejecting an organ transplant!

Reactions: Madmax229
Spamgnome, I am beginning to agree with what you just said. The more warnings I get the less comfortable I am flying with the MAS props. Even though MAS assured me in an email that everything is fine, I just don't know at this point. At least they were relatively inexpensive.

Spamgnome, I am beginning to agree with what you just said. The more warnings I get the less comfortable I am flying with the MAS props. Even though MAS assured me in an email that everything is fine, I just don't know at this point. At least they were relatively inexpensive.

Right...based on what I've read, I'd have no issues dropping $10, but the cost of potential damage to the drone isn't worth it to me. 51 Drones (Ruisss) did a nice review of them on his YT Channel, and while the pitch is definitely lower, to my ear mostly it was just different--not really any less objectionable...not that I find the "stock" noise objectionable either.

Right...based on what I've read, I'd have no issues dropping $10, but the cost of potential damage to the drone isn't worth it to me. 51 Drones (Ruisss) did a nice review of them on his YT Channel, and while the pitch is definitely lower, to my ear mostly it was just different--not really any less objectionable...not that I find the "stock" noise objectionable either.
I will have to check 51 Drones review. Thanks for the tip. I really do wonder if MAS knew about this issue before releasing these props. I think they had to have known, which is very odd as MAS is a very reputable company. I have purchased props from them before with no issues.

Hello everyone, I have a quick question to anyone that has purchased the new Master Airscrew Stealth props. I just received mine today and they seem to work great. However I keep getting a "motor current " warning while flying with them. Dose anyone know exactly what this warning means? The warning comes and goes several times during the flight with no noticable performance issues. I just want to make sure continued use of these props isn't hurting anything. Thanks as always for any insight, it is very much appreciated.
[/Q
Hi Brad,

I’m very sorry that you are having such issue.

We have been investigating this issue thoroughly. The problem appears with some of the Mavic Air units updated to the latest firmware version.
The Stealth propellers have much better efficiency and run on about 20% lower RPMs to mitigate the noise issue. Because of the better efficiency, the propellers require less power to produce the same amount of thrust, which may lead to two separate issues:
- in some cases slight shivering can be caused, noticeable during hover.
- in some cases when high speed breaking or rapid maneuver is performed, a motor current error could be triggered. Please note that this is not an overload error, but lower power draw recognized by the drone controller as a potential problem

How to fix this?
- change the gain settings to 80 via the Go4 app completely eliminates the shivering. For most users this eliminates also the motor control error. The gain settings can be accessed via the top right menu -> first menu icon (the drone icon) -> advanced settings -> gain.
- if the motor control error still persists, downgrading to firmware V01.00.0400 or earlier would eliminate the issue.

Hope the above helps. Please let me know you feedback once you are able to try those settings out.
I’m really sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for your help and understanding.
Best regards,
MAS Team

UOTE]

Hi Brad,

I’m very sorry that you are having such issue.

We have been investigating this issue thoroughly. The problem appears with some of the Mavic Air units updated to the latest firmware version.
The Stealth propellers have much better efficiency and run on about 20% lower RPMs to mitigate the noise issue. Because of the better efficiency, the propellers require less power to produce the same amount of thrust, which may lead to two separate issues:
- in some cases slight shivering can be caused, noticeable during hover.
- in some cases when high speed breaking or rapid maneuver is performed, a motor current error could be triggered. Please note that this is not an overload error, but lower power draw recognized by the drone controller as a potential problem

How to fix this?
- change the gain settings to 80 via the Go4 app completely eliminates the shivering. For most users this eliminates also the motor control error. The gain settings can be accessed via the top right menu -> first menu icon (the drone icon) -> advanced settings -> gain.
- if the motor control error still persists, downgrading to firmware V01.00.0400 or earlier would eliminate the issue.

Hope the above helps. Please let me know you feedback once you are able to try those settings out.
I’m really sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for your help and understanding.
Best regards,
MAS Team

I may be speaking out of turn here as I haven't bought these, but I'm reading a TON of posts about warnings and "flutter" and stuff. Again, maybe I'm just dumb, but seems like the Mavic is trying to tell us something...like a body rejecting an organ transplant!

The DJI error messages are tuned to the stock props. It makes sense that when using props with difference performance characteristics that the software misidentifies that there is a problem.

What is the benefit of using them over the stock OEM props?
They claim to have a 2-4dbi noise reduction over the stock props. There were some slight performance improvements as well, but I don't remember the specifics. If I planned on using MAS props exclusively I could maybe see adjusting the gain settings to suite the props. Since I don't plan to use them exclusively I really see no need. The MA was engineered with a very specific prop design and 2dbi of noise reduction isn't worth it to me to start playing around with it. Just my two cents.

The DJI error messages are tuned to the stock props. It makes sense that when using props with difference performance characteristics that the software misidentifies that there is a problem.
And similarly, I would think that the Air was designed with the stock props in mind, so to me, an error is an error..at a minimum it makes one have to have the message on the screen, and at worse, we dont necessarily know what other effects its having. So saying the error is "misidentified" might be not quite right

Reactions: jspil
Read post #5 above and click on link to MAS webpage. It describes the problem and the fix (adjusting gains) and even has an FAQ.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman