DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Airscrew prop failure!

Torque

Premium Pilot
Reactions
South of Seattle & North of Tacoma, Washington
I've had MAS props on my Mini 3P since November, lime green for visibility. Made a short flight over the fields behind my house and was nearly home when the drone started flying like a drunk butterfly and then dropped about 50 ft to the pavement. It appeared I hadn't tightened the screw on one of the rear props. However once in the house I realized the head of the screw broke off from the shaft, allowing the prop to release. I started to remove the MAS props on a different arm, and the screw head broke off as soon as I attempted to losen it.
Now I have to send the Mini 3 into DJI for repairs from the crash, and the removal of two broken screw shafts stuck in the mounts.
Will DJI honor my DJI care if I was using MAS props?
Does MAS share any responsibility for shoddy screws?
Photos attached.

Attachments

• 20230124_091640_resized.jpg
    20230124_091640_resized.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230124_091451_resized.jpg
    20230124_091451_resized.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230124_091425.jpg
    20230124_091425.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230123_151223.jpg
    20230123_151223.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 127
The MAS props have ZERO to do with screw breakage, especially since it is a well known fault by DJI.
Explain why DJI is responsible for the breakage in midflight of a screw supplied by MAS to hold their own Master Airscew Props?
Well known fault of screws breaking in midflight? Where? Show me a link to evidence of this well known problem please.
I think you have confused this topic with the poor screwdriver supplied by DJI which strips the head of their screws? Never seen one instance of a screw breaking during flight - but regardless, these are not DJI screws and I use iFixit scewdrivers on my RC toys.

There are several threads concerning the heads coming off DJI Mini 3 Pro prop screws but not necessarily in flight. And those threads that I have seen seemed to involve DJI props and screws.
I begin to wonder if these might do better with a piece of studding and a flanged lock nut rather that a screw.

There are several threads concerning the heads coming off DJI Mini 3 Pro prop screws but not necessarily in flight. And those threads that I have seen seemed to involve DJI props and screws.
I begin to wonder if these might do better with a piece of studding and a flanged lock nut rather that a screw.
Do you have a link to any of these posts? I've just spent time searching the forum and can't find a single post regarding screws breaking. Lots of threads about stripped heads, but can't find anything on screws or heads breaking. I'd like to see those threads to help convince DJI that these repairs are their responsibility. Apparently I didn't purchase Care Refresh with this drone.
I was literally flying in normal mode, less than 10 hours total flight time on these props when the drone lost control, flew over traffic and landed in the street. Flight logs show there was no impact, nothing that would account for a screw failing. Had this hit a car, the results could have been disastrous. I was flying over an open field when the drone veered left several hundred feet, then dropped into the street.

the screws that keep the props from becoming detached from the motors on the MIni 3 are extremely small ,unlike the screws on the MM and mini 2, which not only acted as a pivot point for the props as well, as holding them onto the motor
because of their small size, they are very easy to over torque when tightening them up, once the head of the screw bottoms out then it is tightened sufficiently to hold the prop, any additional torque will just add stress, to the junction between the thread ,and the head of the screw ,

the screws that keep the props from becoming detached from the motors on the MIni 3 are extremely small ,unlike the screws on the MM and mini 2, which not only acted as a pivot point for the props as well, as holding them onto the motor
because of their small size, they are very easy to over torque when tightening them up, once the head of the screw bottoms out then it is tightened sufficiently to hold the prop, any additional torque will just add stress, to the junction between the thread ,and the head of the screw ,
Yes, been building RC fixed wings for 30 years, these were not DJI screws nor were they over tightened. This is a problem with the quality of the screws provided by Master Airscrew with their nearly thumb tack sized screw head.

@Torque ,i know its no help now your drone is damaged,but using aftermarket props no matter who makes them, is something that can lead to mishaps ,and although MAS props themselves might be a good brand ,and have worked well on other DJI drones in the past ,it would seem as you say, that the screws themselves ,seem to be of questionable quality,as your case has unfortunately demonstrated ,i would communicate with MAS and see if they would be in a position to help you resolve the issue in some way

If I come across any I will post links but rest assured they exist.
Yes, please forward them. I've been searching via google and on all of my Facebook groups.
I find numerous posts of people breaking the screws when trying to remove them, supposedly from too much locktite
on the screw. Have yet to find any posts of the screws breaking in midflight, causing a crash, for either DJI or MAS screws.
I was very lucky that the drone shifted and flew out over the street or it would have been lost in an impenetrable field of 8 foot tall blackberries, and also very lucky that it didn't come down on a car, and I was able to get it out of the road before it was hit.
Fortunately I DO have DJI care refresh (forgot I'd bought a 2 year plan when I bought the drone) so the drone is all packed and waiting to be picked up, the replacement should be here next week.

@Torque ,i know its no help now your drone is damaged,but using aftermarket props no matter who makes them, is something that can lead to mishaps ,and although MAS props themselves might be a good brand ,and have worked well on other DJI drones in the past ,it would seem as you say, that the screws themselves ,seem to be of questionable quality,as your case has unfortunately demonstrated ,i would communicate with MAS and see if they would be in a position to help you resolve the issue in some way
Thank you, I agree. I reached out to Master Airscrew this morning, no response as of a few minutes ago.
MAS are the only after market props I would ever trust, I've been using them for over a decade, starting on fixed wing aircraft, then on my DJI Phantoms, 3DR drones, etc. I bought three pair for the M3P, and have asked MAS to let me return the two unopened packs even though they were purchased months ago. I will not be using them on the replacement M3P. The screws are the issue, not the props. I'm sure MAS will tell me I over tightened the screws, but I have been building things for over 50 years, I did not torque these tiny screws into the mounts! They were hand tight, nothing more.

Reactions: old man mavic
is it weight the reason why DJI can't do props on the minis the way they do on other drones air 2s for example?
seems the spring loaded props work better, easier to take care of etc,

Reactions: Torque
Had same problem with MA Green Props, two screws broke, had to return Drone DJI for repair🙁 Staying now with the DJI Props, as screws appear stronger. Did also Contact MA, they have informed me that the new batch of Props/Screws have been strengthened, but I’m not convinced ! Had MA screw Props for my other Drones, that was ok. The Screws on the M3P are very fine, and the MA screws I had were rather week, have not been game enough to purchase again for my M3P.

Thank you, I agree. I reached out to Master Airscrew this morning, no response as of a few minutes ago.
MAS are the only after market props I would ever trust, I've been using them for over a decade, starting on fixed wing aircraft, then on my DJI Phantoms, 3DR drones, etc. I bought three pair for the M3P, and have asked MAS to let me return the two unopened packs even though they were purchased months ago. I will not be using them on the replacement M3P. The screws are the issue, not the props. I'm sure MAS will tell me I over tightened the screws, but I have been building things for over 50 years, I did not torque these tiny screws into the mounts! They were hand tight, nothing more.
If for some reason MAS doesn't take them back, I'll buy them off you. I'm doing ok with their products and I'm up for a gamble. : )

Yeah those small screws from MAS snap really easily if you overtighten, leaving the broken shaft stuck in the motor which is impossible to get out. I’ll stick with DJI props.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
If for some reason MAS doesn't take them back, I'll buy them off you. I'm doing ok with their products and I'm up for a gamble. : )
Not worth the gamble, two screws broke on me, with little pressure applied, not sure if new batch of screws are better, but they were certainly weak, compared with DJI Screws. I purchased the Props over a month ago, informed MA, they did refund purchase, and have indicated they have updated/strengthened the screws, but I’m still hesitant, as I do not want send my Drone back again to DJI ! Currently using the original DJI Props, which work well, but do like the colours of the MA.

I've had MAS props on my Mini 3P since November, lime green for visibility. Made a short flight over the fields behind my house and was nearly home when the drone started flying like a drunk butterfly and then dropped about 50 ft to the pavement. It appeared I hadn't tightened the screw on one of the rear props. However once in the house I realized the head of the screw broke off from the shaft, allowing the prop to release. I started to remove the MAS props on a different arm, and the screw head broke off as soon as I attempted to losen it.
Now I have to send the Mini 3 into DJI for repairs from the crash, and the removal of two broken screw shafts stuck in the mounts.
Will DJI honor my DJI care if I was using MAS props?
Does MAS share any responsibility for shoddy screws?
Photos attached.
I would remove all the props and send it in without any. That way if any more break off they can repair them all right away. I don't have one of those, but I know they used to have lock-tite on them. If these do, that could be what's breaking them off. I know lock-tite will release at a certain temperature, and wonder if a soldering pen on the screw head to warm the screw prior to attempting to loosen the screw, would help release it. Not to do it every time, but just to help get these off prior to sending it back. I would also contact MAS and start a complaint with them. You're probably not the only one with this problem.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu