DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mav 2P submerged for 3 hours, Is it toast?

GwynnLewis

Reactions
I hit a tree and the M2P dove into a creek. I found it 3 hrs later. No physical damage. I'm waiting to try it until it drys out.

What are my options? Anyone have any advice?

If it wasn't salt water, there's every chance that once you let it dry out, it'll be alright. The only thing you can do is give it try. What do you have to lose? If it won't work, nothing lost. Sometimes a hair dryer can help getting it dried out but not too close and not too hot! I'd give it a good couple of weeks and then give it a try. Using a different battery than the one that was on it when it went in the drink might be a good idea though..... I once dropped a laptop in a bath! Obviously, when I pulled it out of the water it was dead. Dried it out for couple of weeks and it worked just fine....

Last edited:
Prefer isopropopylic alc0ol to rice. If you can, use successive graded water dilution of this alcool (for example 50%, 75% and pure alcool). Then, dry it up.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Hi, attached article from ifixit.com may be of use.
Good luck.

“Liquid damage in electronics is a bit like pancake batter on the counter: on Sunday morning, it's relatively easy to wipe off. Dried pancake batter on Sunday night—that's a different story. The same thing happens with water/liquid damage.

When we put a phone in rice, it is the same thing as doing nothing. It just FEELS like we're actively trying something. Corrosion is instant when a phone hits water. Sometimes the corrosion hits important components, sometimes not. If we resist turning the phone on until it dries on the counter, in the rice bag, or anywhere else, sometimes we get lucky. If we had the phone in the rice bag, we think the rice saved the phone. But it didn't! Even if the phone seems to be working, it will have oxidized solder joints that are weakened and brittle. Corrosion will continue to spread inside the phone. We have done nothing but experienced temporary luck.

The real secret to water damage? You don't want to dry it!

What you want to do is first displace the water—or more specifically, all the conductive stuff in the water. You can do this best by using 90%+ isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a toothbrush. Open your device as soon as you can, take out the battery, and get scrubbing. Submerge the whole motherboard in alcohol, and scrub away. Only then, dry it and see where you stand. By getting the liquid displaced before it can dry, we are cleaning the pancake batter on Sunday morning. This is your best strategy for liquid damage.

Of course, it's tempting to just put the phone in rice—you never know, it might be okay. We want to ignore all that work above and just hope for the best instead.

You'd be hard pressed to find any experienced professional in the repair industry that doesn't roll their eyes when they hear the word "rice." We see the sad result of phones/devices that have been carefully placed in the Mahatma bag with fingers crossed.

To all repair professionals out there: please join in sharing some pictures of what a phone/device really looks like inside when we open it up after its romp in the rice. A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe it will help show folks the reality of the role of rice in water damage.”

I once dropped a laptop in a bath! Obviously, when I pulled it out of the water it was dead. Dried it out for couple of weeks and it worked just fine....
[/QUOTE]

I want to know shat you were doing with your laptop in the bath??? Tut tut tut

Reactions: Ren57
Good luck.

“Liquid damage in electronics is a bit like pancake batter on the counter: on Sunday morning, it's relatively easy to wipe off. Dried pancake batter on Sunday night—that's a different story. The same thing happens with water/liquid damage.

When we put a phone in rice, it is the same thing as doing nothing. It just FEELS like we're actively trying something. Corrosion is instant when a phone hits water. Sometimes the corrosion hits important components, sometimes not. If we resist turning the phone on until it dries on the counter, in the rice bag, or anywhere else, sometimes we get lucky. If we had the phone in the rice bag, we think the rice saved the phone. But it didn't! Even if the phone seems to be working, it will have oxidized solder joints that are weakened and brittle. Corrosion will continue to spread inside the phone. We have done nothing but experienced temporary luck.

The real secret to water damage? You don't want to dry it!

What you want to do is first displace the water—or more specifically, all the conductive stuff in the water. You can do this best by using 90%+ isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a toothbrush. Open your device as soon as you can, take out the battery, and get scrubbing. Submerge the whole motherboard in alcohol, and scrub away. Only then, dry it and see where you stand. By getting the liquid displaced before it can dry, we are cleaning the pancake batter on Sunday morning. This is your best strategy for liquid damage.

Of course, it's tempting to just put the phone in rice—you never know, it might be okay. We want to ignore all that work above and just hope for the best instead.

You'd be hard pressed to find any experienced professional in the repair industry that doesn't roll their eyes when they hear the word "rice." We see the sad result of phones/devices that have been carefully placed in the Mahatma bag with fingers crossed.

To all repair professionals out there: please join in sharing some pictures of what a phone/device really looks like inside when we open it up after its romp in the rice. A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe it will help show folks the reality of the role of rice in water damage.”
That sounds like great advice.... However... As I said before, I once dropped a laptop in a bath and then let it dry out. After a couple of weeks it worked just fine. That was 20 years ago. Still got the laptop, I just tried it today (although the battery is now toast) I connected to the wall socket... Guess what? Still works just fine, although Windows XP seems a bit dated these days!:)

Good luck.

I’m not 100% certain which version of barometric pressure sensor the AC uses but the sensors are usually exposed to the air via a small hole in its metal casing. Great for letting in water.

ce65947d9ab48cc2d1f677dd94228c0c.jpg

Be very careful about scrubbing, the boards have a lot of very small surface mount components that can be dislodged.

You may have a 50 50 chance to resurrect it from the dead, after drying it out., being it did not take a bath in salt water.

Given that it went in with the battery in, corrosion of some kind could be instant. I'd be very careful about flying it if you do get it working again - you could see it just drop out of the sky when corrosion does take out a lead on the PCB. Unfortunately water and electronics do not mix, even if it isn't salt water.

Reactions: SpitFire
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J