DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Battery - Best Practices?

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hi all,

there is so much bad information out there regarding how you should care for your LiPo Drone batteries. I compiled best practices and made a guide on how to properly charge, discharge, store and update your Mavic 2 Battery.

Do you guys have any other tips that may have been missed?

Hi all,

there is so much bad information out there regarding how you should care for your LiPo Drone batteries. I compiled best practices and made a guide on how to properly charge, discharge, store and update your Mavic 2 Battery.

Do you guys have any other tips that may have been missed?

What is a Lipo (sp?) bag? why would you need to put them i an ammo can with sandbags on top? h

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
What is a Lipo (sp?) bag? why would you need to put them i an ammo can with sandbags on top? h
Hi Jake, a lipo bag is a special bag made from fire resistant materials. I link the ones i use in the video description. (text under video on youtubes page).

For extra security you can place the batteries while charging into a lipo bag and then put that into an ammo can for extra security.

In case they spontaneously catch fire.

So charging the batteries in my wood frame house is a no-no without proper protection. I guess the same might be true for other battery powered devices like vacuums and lawn mowers and power banks, etc, that have larger batteries.

So charging the batteries in my wood frame house is a no-no without proper protection. I guess the same might be true for other battery powered devices like vacuums and lawn mowers and power banks, etc, that have larger batteries.
it doesn't mean that people don't do it without any protection and haven't had any issues. The steps just reduce the risk of something bad happening. Because it does sometimes happen... Not sure what the statistic on DJI Intelligent batteries is, but I've seen a few of them burnt to a crisp.

Reactions: ff22
Would like to hear more about risk i charge my batteries inside my wooden house. I set up smoke detector close by . Any cases of fires reported .

The problem with lithium based batteries is that when they catch fire, the fire is self-sustaining. That makes them difficult to impossible to put out.

Would like to hear more about risk i charge my batteries inside my wooden house. I set up smoke detector close by . Any cases of fires reported .

It is something I'm curious and somewhat worried about. I know e-cigarettes and those "skateboards" have burst into flames. But my lawn mower batteries and some of the rechargeable vacuums have pretty big batteries, too. While I have a detached garage it is not very waterproof and it would be fairly inconvenient but I guess it would be safer except for my brand new car parked next to any charging station I created!

FF: I'm thinking that you'll be pretty safe if you keep all your batteries in LIPO bags during storage. Probably not the best idea to keep them near your vehicle with its tank full of fuel though. Someone here can correct me but I have personally never read about a DJI battery catching fire.

Reactions: Hardgainer and ff22
FF: I'm thinking that you'll be pretty safe if you keep all your batteries in LIPO bags during storage. Probably not the best idea to keep them near your vehicle with its tank full of fuel though. Someone here can correct me but I have personally never read about a DJI battery catching fire.
looks like this poor chap had a Mavic battery burst/swell/catch fire while in a backpack. Who knows how it was stored.

Reactions: ff22
looks like this poor chap had a Mavic battery burst/swell/catch fire while in a backpack. Who knows how it was stored.

That makes me feel much better - NOT!!!

Someone (was it the Help subforum) just mentioned their severely swollen batteries!!! Feeling safer all the time.....

That makes me feel much better - NOT!!!

Someone (was it the Help subforum) just mentioned their severely swollen batteries!!! Feeling safer all the time.....
awe crap. Was it on a M2P or M2Z? Does he know why the battery cells swelled up?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe