DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 crash in active track

Hello Mavic community. Below is the YouTube link to a video of my Mavic 2 Pro crashing in active track. I’m not sure what caused the crash or why none of the sensors prevented the incident. Any input that could explain why this happened is welcomed. Thank goodness this was just a sand dune. The drone suffered no physical or cosmetic damage whatsoever. Please use my experience to prevent any recurrence and to bring awareness to the MavicPilot community of the potential to crash during active track.

Thanks and Enjoy!

I thought you were home free and this was an Aprils Fool Stunt as you made it all the way through
So Here is what I think happened.

I dont think it was sand, or active tracking failure , or shawdows , just to fast for the drone to negotiate the dip in the sand.

At 3:37 on the video the sand dune goes way low, and the drone takes measurement but the gradual incline is simply not recognized because of the speed that it was going and basically flys directly into the incline.

If the drone would have been going a little slower , it might have registered the incline, but at this point, this is still the weakest part of the Sensor to recognize the incline at fast speed.

As you moved away further the drone was trying it best to catch up.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in and out of the storm.

Hello Mavic community. Below is the YouTube link to a video of my Mavic 2 Pro crashing in active track. I’m not sure what caused the crash or why none of the sensors prevented the incident. Any input that could explain why this happened is welcomed. Thank goodness this was just a sand dune. The drone suffered no physical or cosmetic damage whatsoever. Please use my experience to prevent any recurrence and to bring awareness to the MavicPilot community of the potential to crash during active track.

Thanks and Enjoy!

just to fast for the drone to negotiate the dip in the sand.

I completely agree and if that video isn't an excellent promo for Active Track, I don't know what WOULD be. His girl hung in there like a CHAMP for a LONG time and had he been going more slowly in the vehicle, there's a fair chance the aircraft would have been able to negotiate that last dip. I also agree with those who suggested a higher initial altitude for AT.

This would be a proper demonstration of AT from different angles. The OP video shows AT hunting, wide altitude fluctuations and inconsistent distance from the subject.

When an AT attack starts the drone starts to pause then lunges towards the subject, you can see this in the OP video.

During an attack my experience is VPS is ignored and a straight line to the subject is flown in oscillations. The oscillations grow in magnitude until the subject is in danger, search YT.

Reactions: dbj702
I wonder if gimble pitch and ac attitude are part of the active track code I think this would have saved it.
This would be a proper demonstration of AT from different angles. The OP video shows AT hunting, wide altitude fluctuations and inconsistent distance from the subject.

When an AT attack starts the drone starts to pause then lunges towards the subject, you can see this in the OP video.

During an attack my experience is VPS is ignored and a straight line to the subject is flown in oscillations. The oscillations grow in magnitude until the subject is in danger, search YT.

I wonder if gimble pitch and ac attitude are part of the active track code I think this would have saved it.

Mavic uses optical recognition for tracking (gimbal/camera). Not using GPS for XY and a subject mounted baro for Z makes for sloppy follow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688