DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Crash

ilkerkrn

Reactions
Hi friends, I flew 20 minutes with my mavic 2 device. After a low battery warning, RTH was activated. I canceled the RTH when the device came near me. I landed by pulling the left stick down about 150 cm above the ground. While the device was flying around 150 cm height, i left the controller, then it suddenly flew backwards, crashing into the branches of the tree 300 cm away and fell to the ground. I added the flight log. I need your help with what the problem is. Thanks.

Uçuş Kayıt Görüntüleyici

Reactions: Napolyon1
I added the flight log. I need your help with what the problem is.
You brought the drone down to 0.7 metres at 20:06.6
At 20:06.7 with the battery at <20% RTH is initiated again
It climbs to 1.7 metres but at 20:08.9 the drone is trying to avoid an obstacle.
At 20:10.3 you gave it full right stick forward
At 20:11.4 you gave it full left stick up
At 20:11.6 there is a warning of an upward obstacle detected.
The drone was in RTH but was also trying to back up to avoid an obstacle at the same time you were fighting it with your joystick input.

Hi friends, I flew 20 minutes with my mavic 2 device. After a low battery warning, RTH was activated. I canceled the RTH when the device came near me. I landed by pulling the left stick down about 150 cm above the ground. While the device was flying around 150 cm height, i left the controller, then it suddenly flew backwards, crashing into the branches of the tree 300 cm away and fell to the ground. I added the flight log. I need your help with what the problem is. Thanks.

Uçuş Kayıt Görüntüleyici
hows the drone she still fly?

It seems you need to find a more open area to practice. You might also want to return to your landing spot before the low battery actions kick in. Even when experienced it can be somewhat confusing trying to remember what to do to cancel RTH or autolanding, especially in a confined area. It will be easier on you and the batteries if you head home at about 35%.

You were fighting the autopilot. I had this happen with my phantom 4 pro v2 also. I had in waypoints and forgot, when I tried fliying it it was finding the medium of the commands between you and the autopilot and using that as the final command.

I'm confused: you "left the controller"? Seems you were operating awful close to trees, both above and laterally.
I did not left the controller. I wanted to say when i pulled the left stick to land it, it suddenly moved back towards tree.

You brought the drone down to 0.7 metres at 20:06.6
At 20:06.7 with the battery at <20% RTH is initiated again
It climbs to 1.7 metres but at 20:08.9 the drone is trying to avoid an obstacle.
At 20:10.3 you gave it full right stick forward
At 20:11.4 you gave it full left stick up
At 20:11.6 there is a warning of an upward obstacle detected.
The drone was in RTH but was also trying to back up to avoid an obstacle at the same time you were fighting it with your joystick input.
When the drone came home, I pulled it out of the RTH. After a brief gliding in the air, I started to descend under my control. The height from the ground is approximately 120 cm. I lowered the left stick alone. He was starting to descend and suddenly flew backwards.

When the drone came home, I pulled it out of the RTH. After a brief gliding in the air, I started to descend under my control. The height from the ground is approximately 120 cm. I lowered the left stick alone. He was starting to descend and suddenly flew backwards.
RTH started at 18:37.9 (166 metres out and 72m up) and was cancelled at 19:27.5 with the drone 26 metres above the home point.
It was flown away from the homepoint until 20:06.6 (12 metres away from home) and entered RTH again, which you interpreted as suddenly flying backwards..
It stayed in RTH until the end of the flight and you were fighting against the RTH.
Shortly before the crash your joystick input was full backwards, full right and full upwards.

RTH started at 18:37.9 (166 metres out and 72m up) and was cancelled at 19:27.5 with the drone 26 metres above the home point.
It was flown away from the homepoint until 20:06.6 (12 metres away from home) and entered RTH again, which you interpreted as suddenly flying backwards..
It stayed in RTH until the end of the flight and you were fighting against the RTH.
Shortly before the crash your joystick input was full backwards, full right and full upwards.
If the RTH is back on, why did it fly in the opposite direction, not the home point?

If the RTH is back on, why did it fly in the opposite direction, not the home point?
Apart from your joystick commands, two other things were controlling the drone.
RTH and the drone is backing up to avoid an obstacle.

It seems you need to find a more open area to practice. You might also want to return to your landing spot before the low battery actions kick in. Even when experienced it can be somewhat confusing trying to remember what to do to cancel RTH or autolanding, especially in a confined area. It will be easier on you and the batteries if you head home at about 35%.
In fact the area was suitable for flight, there were only short tall trees. I'il be more careful after that.

This is really instructive, as most incidents are. Is there a forum specifically for crashes and incidents, so that we have an easily-accessible safety reference that we can all learn from? It should probably be for all models, since I would bet that most crashes/incidents are not unique to a particular model.

Reactions: ff22
The home point was set at 20.39.0 which may have added to the OP's confusion

The home point was set at 20.39.0 which may have added to the OP's confusion
Someone's confused.
The home point was set at the start of the flight log and updated while still on the ground at 0:02.5
The flight data ends with the drone on the ground at 20:14.4

Someone's confused.
The home point was set at the start of the flight log and updated while still on the ground at 0:02.5
The flight data ends with the drone on the ground at 20:14.4

The home point was set at 2.5 seconds, but it was updated at 64.4 seconds to a location 12 meters SW of the original HP.

I had this issue on my Mavic 2. The Smart RTH is a little different in that it will constantly re-engage the drone once it goes in and out of the "green zone". Issue comes about when landing I dont have my eyes on the RC but rather landing the drone visually (as you do), as smart RTH kicks in it will take over your drone and try to climb to RTH height. To get around this you need to have the volume on your phone set to max so you can hear it while landing the drone. If you miss it, drone will stop responding to commands and take over, RC will start beeping. If you're quick just tap RTH button to cancel it. I'm not sure why the drone at this point doenst just land given its already at the home point? I thought if it was within a certain distance of homepoint its just suppose to land where it is?

In my case - two occurrences. First it flew forward and about to fly up into some trees before top sensor saved the day. Second not so lucky and flew into a wall scratched the body and gimbal up pretty bad but still flies. Drone now makes an odd noise which I think is bearings but cant tell which leg needs replacing? Is there any way to determine this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian