DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual

Schnauzergeek

Reactions
I understand that this forum is primarily for Mavic 2 Pro users, but are there any users that have the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual system that utilizes the thermal imaging camera, lighting and speaker attachments? We just took ownership of two for my fire department and would love to hear feedback either positive or negative.

I understand that this forum is primarily for Mavic 2 Pro users, but are there any users that have the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual system that utilizes the thermal imaging camera, lighting and speaker attachments? We just took ownership of two for my fire department and would love to hear feedback either positive or negative.
You may have these, but anyway, here are some link that reference the Mavic Pro Enterprise Dual

D

If the Drone is going to be used for search and rescue we suggest you might consider as many have getting the Mavic 2 Wet Suit which will fit the Enterprise Edition.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in extreme weather conditions.

The M2ED is a great rapid response tool that can be deployed quickly and is maneuverable enough to fit into to tight places and cheap enough to give the operator the confidence to use it to its full potential.

It serves a great “work horse” function but does have some limitations because it’s not designed to be a percision instrument when it comes to thermal. The thermal camera is really meant to aid the optical camera and can have difficulty with detecting subtle changes in temperature and difficulty with detail in the thermal spectrum.

I think it will help to know what your expectations are and what you see as the utility for such a machine in your line of work. For what I’m imagining as the use in a fire fighting situation would be to determine the areas that are hot and the areas that are not. I don’t believe it will be a good tool for finding a warm body amongst very hot flames. A much more sophisticated thermal imaging system would be required for such a job.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
I would add the top light and the speaker both work great though I wish both could be used simultaneously.

The M2ED has a great feature for cold weather operations. Click and hold the battery button to start the preheating process in route to location. The battery will self-heat until it has reached its optimal take off temperature and then the self-heating will automatically turn off. If the battery is already at or above it’s optimal take off temperature the self-heating process will not start.

This may not be relevant for batteries stored indoors but may be relevant for long operations where the batteries in waiting may become cold prior to use. The operator can initiate self-heating of a battery prior to needing a new battery and have that battery warm by the time it is needed. This insures the battery is ready immediately when needed and extends the battery life during that flight and extends battery capacity over its life time.

On another note I’d recommend applying for a blanket unlock of the aircraft from DJI. There’s nothing worse then getting on location only to be denied flight by DJI’s flysafe program. It would also be smart to be familiar with FAAs emergency response approval system though they are others more experienced in this area that can better assist with this process.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The M2ED is a great rapid response tool that can be deployed quickly and is maneuverable enough to fit into to tight places and cheap enough to give the operator the confidence to use it to its full potential.

It serves a great “work horse” function but does have some limitations because it’s not designed to be a percision instrument when it comes to thermal. The thermal camera is really meant to aid the optical camera and can have difficulty with detecting subtle changes in temperature and difficulty with detail in the thermal spectrum.

I think it will help to know what your expectations are and what you see as the utility for such a machine in your line of work. For what I’m imagining as the use in a fire fighting situation would be to determine the areas that are hot and the areas that are not. I don’t believe it will be a good tool for finding a warm body amongst very hot flames. A much more sophisticated thermal imaging system would be required for such a job.

Thank you for your input!
Los Angeles County Fire Dept. covers an area of over 4,000 square miles with much of it wildland brush areas.
One of the primary uses of our M2ED’s will be for wildland fire reconnaissance since our fire season is quickly approaching.
Other uses will be mapping for damage assessment such as mud flow after the fires. We do plan to use the M2ED’s for Search & Rescue missions, (especially with our Baywatch Lifeguard Division), and also HazMat missions.
I think that our Baywatch Lifeguards would have a better success rate with the M2ED thermal imaging camera locating a drowning victim in 55-70 degree water.
We definitely plan on purchasing the more robust Matrice 210 system fully equipped with both the XT-2 and Z-30 cameras but we are not sure when we will secure grant funding for it since the majority of our UAS funding is secured through grants so the purchase may be as distant as a year from now.
Other issues that we may have to deal with in the future is the strategic housing and quick deployment of our drone resources. We have over 178 fire stations and 22 battalions spread out over a huge geographic area where it can take as long as two hours to travel from one end of Los Angeles County to the other so obviously we would need more than the two M2ED’s and twelve Part 107 certified pilots in our program. FUNDING is a critical issue with our drone program, so right now we will need to make the most out of what we have. Although we are one of the largest fire departments in the U.S., unfortunately, we don’t have very deep pockets to devote to our UAS program...right now.

Thank you for your input!
Los Angeles County Fire Dept. covers an area of over 4,000 square miles with much of it wildland brush areas.
One of the primary uses of our M2ED’s will be for wildland fire reconnaissance since our fire season is quickly approaching.
Other uses will be mapping for damage assessment such as mud flow after the fires. We do plan to use the M2ED’s for Search & Rescue missions, (especially with our Baywatch Lifeguard Division), and also HazMat missions.
I think that our Baywatch Lifeguards would have a better success rate with the M2ED thermal imaging camera locating a drowning victim in 55-70 degree water.
We definitely plan on purchasing the more robust Matrice 210 system fully equipped with both the XT-2 and Z-30 cameras but we are not sure when we will secure grant funding for it since the majority of our UAS funding is secured through grants so the purchase may be as distant as a year from now.
Other issues that we may have to deal with in the future is the strategic housing and quick deployment of our drone resources. We have over 178 fire stations and 22 battalions spread out over a huge geographic area where it can take as long as two hours to travel from one end of Los Angeles County to the other so obviously we would need more than the two M2ED’s and twelve Part 107 certified pilots in our program. FUNDING is a critical issue with our drone program, so right now we will need to make the most out of what we have. Although we are one of the largest fire departments in the U.S., unfortunately, we don’t have very deep pockets to devote to our UAS program...right now.
wouldn’t it be great not to have to worry about money? Lol

It will be interesting to see if it is capable of locating a drowning victim. I imagine it would depend on how close to the surface they are. Yes the Matrice would be better suited for pure thermal tasks but it is nice to have the thermal option on the Mavic because it is so much easier and faster to deploy.

Well good luck to ya!

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
wouldn’t it be great not to have to worry about money? Lol

It will be interesting to see if it is capable of locating a drowning victim. I imagine it would depend on how close to the surface they are. Yes the Matrice would be better suited for pure thermal tasks but it is nice to have the thermal option on the Mavic because it is so much easier and faster to deploy.

Well good luck to ya!

Thanks!

Thank you!
I would also advice to look at fixed wings like parrot disco pro or similar with thermal sensors if you need to cover significant territories. Mavics are great as they are compact and portable, but it is a on-location type of tool. Recogniscence is a job for a plane.

You might find more people doing "your type of work" over in this sister forum:

Reactions: Skyflyer129
We have a number of them in our organisation here in New Zealand. We have found the speaker to be incredibly effective. The strobe is very good in daylight. I have not flown in dark hours as yet. The thermal camera is not top of the line, but serves its purpose effectively. There is a Fire Dept type setting that detects only very high temperatures. You can also set your own range of temps to trigger. Good luck and best wishes from an ex career firefighter and mini schnauzer owner.

It is an absolute awesome craft, excellent for search and rescue as the alarm feature works very well at detecting a specific temperature. The spotlight is extremely bright and this is one of the limited drones that include Ocusync, allowing a very good signal back to the RC. It capture both thermal and rgb at the same time and includes an installed light downward that can strobe along with the top mounted strobe or provide adequate lighting for land and viewing direct down. It also includes an ads-b in receiver for live viewing of aircraft and helicopters in the area. The MSX feature outlines thermal structures and personnel that does help identify. We currently have them in stock for quick shipping. Feel free to ask any questions as we are testing them in the field for actual inspection use.

Chief Pilot
Luis Lopez

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
We have a number of them in our organisation here in New Zealand. We have found the speaker to be incredibly effective. The strobe is very good in daylight. I have not flown in dark hours as yet. The thermal camera is not top of the line, but serves its purpose effectively. There is a Fire Dept type setting that detects only very high temperatures. You can also set your own range of temps to trigger. Good luck and best wishes from an ex career firefighter and mini schnauzer owner.
Gday mate. i I've got an M2E and i tried to use it to alert some surfers last weekend when they had a shark swimming within 15 metres of them. I had the volume up to 100% and they couldn't hear me properly. nor could they hear the alarm i had pre-recorded. What are your thoughts on the volume and what device did you record your audio onto? I used a smart controller and recorded a shark alarm out of my speakers at home

schnauzergeek, My business Safewaves is a pro lifeguard service here in Australia. I don't think my speaker is any where loud enough. Please let me know of your experiences so i can work out what is wrong with mine. it is at 100% on the controller and surfers just couldn't hear me telling them about a shark that was really close.

Also, i didn't bother with the dual. The camera is pretty good and if i can spot sting rays on the bottom of the ocean you will definitely be able to see a missing person just fine

I have not flown our unit over water but when testing the speakers over dry land and up to 300m away the audio was clearly understandable. We do tilt the speaker to point in the direction of the expected target. We have only used recordings that have been made on the Smart controller immediately before transmission to the UAV. We are in the process of creating a video / movie of the operation of our UAV. If there is a part in there that may help explain I will send you a link.

I have not flown our unit over water but when testing the speakers over dry land and up to 300m away the audio was clearly understandable. We do tilt the speaker to point in the direction of the expected target. We have only used recordings that have been made on the Smart controller immediately before transmission to the UAV. We are in the process of creating a video / movie of the operation of our UAV. If there is a part in there that may help explain I will send you a link.
Really! That's WAY better than my experience. My pre-recorded message and alarm sound were done with the SC about 200mm away from my computer speaker to record. I just arent getting the output from the speaker in playback. I have also tried the instant broadcast which is no different.

Yes please, send me a link to your production when ready

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki