DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 falling from the sky - Complete failure

faj442

Reactions
My new Mavic 2 zoom had complete failure yesterday during flight. There was no warning and it dropped from the sky at 140 M. The battery was at 20 % happened in a clear sky. This happened on the 6th flight, I have been flying drones for the last 2 years. I have emailed DJI Support and said they will get back to me, I'll Keep you posted. The recording stopped within a second after the failure you can see the footage here.

My new Mavic 2 zoom had complete failure yesterday during flight. There was no warning and it dropped from the sky at 140 M. The battery was at 20 % happened in a clear sky. This happened on the 6th flight, I have been flying drones for the last 2 years. I have emailed DJI Support and said they will get back to me, I'll Keep you posted. The recording stopped within a second after the failure you can see the footage here.

I imagine I am wrong but it looks like it was attacked. Could you please - How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Well when @sar104 see's this I bet he will . :)

Log-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 12.02.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 12.02.15 AM.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 573
Hmm. I see a Gimbal Roll Limit Reached 20 mins or so into flight.

40 seconds later "Switched to Backup IMU"

Then it just starts tumbling.

To me it looks like an IMU issue.

That was my first thought too. but there were no signs of anything nearby. It was in close sight.
V3 Dat

2018-09-08_17-06-07_FLY021.DAT
The eventLog stream indicates a problem with the right ESCs.
1242.028 : 67859 [L-ESC]ESC3 link down||
1242.033 : 67859 [L-ESC]ESC0 link down||
1242.047 : 67860 [L-FMU/MOTOR]esc err, status:0
1242.047 : 67860 [L-FMU/MOTOR]fault on , esc(1) is disconnect
1242.047 : 67860 [L-FMU/MOTOR]fault on , esc(4) is disconnect
1242.047 : 67860 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail

Also, it can be seen that the status of the rBack motor changed at this time
upload_2018-9-9_7-21-12.png

Seems like something hit it. Lots of error at the end. I assume the drone is lost is the water and not retrievable? I guess it’ll be up to DJI to determine if they think it’s a malfunction and replace for free.

Seems like something hit it. Lots of error at the end. I assume the drone is lost is the water and not retrievable? I guess it’ll be up to DJI to determine if they think it’s a malfunction and replace for free.
Probably not a bird strike. The accelerometers show a relatively small change - the Z axis accelerometer goes fro -1 to 1 while both the X and Y axes remain stable.
upload_2018-9-9_7-50-17.png
The Z axis gyro shows large rotations though.
upload_2018-9-9_7-51-8.png

The fact that the eventLog stream shows problems with both the right ESCs is consistent with and ESC problem, not a motor problem.

Reactions: halifax
Yes, I lost it in the water. I am in contact with DJI, I'll keep the status updated

Last edited:
Probably not a bird strike. The accelerometers show a relatively small change - the Z axis accelerometer goes fro -1 to 1 while both the X and Y axes remain stable.
View attachment 45878
The Z axis gyro shows large rotations though.
View attachment 45880

The fact that the eventLog stream shows problems with both the right ESCs is consistent with and ESC problem, not a motor problem.
Thanks so much for checking.

I found a similar thread Mavic Pro2 Falls from Sky

I believe that incident isn't similar to yours. In your incident there are clear indications of an ESC problem. I.e. a hardware failure. There were no such indications in @IdahoJP 's incident.
Oh yes, you are right. There are few comments (in same thread) saying they have seen multiple mavic 2 failures. As you said, I can't find any common issues with them. I hope DJI will respond positive to this issue, it was quite a shock . It was like a stone falling from the sky.

Maybe it threw a prop? @sar104 might be able to tell.

Firstly, sorry to hear about this, it must have been stressful for you (as it would have been for any of us).

I agree, maybe a prop was not secured properly (easily done, you are not the first!), especially as the failure seemed to be quite violent & immediate (another theory is bird strike, again not as easy to see as some people may think). But I have no evidence, so pure speculation at this stage. I'm a little OCD about preflight checking the props etc. :)

It will be interesting to see how likely a hardware failure would be, but obviously, we can't discount this.

I'd be very grateful if you keep us informed. Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada