DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 falling from the sky - Complete failure

I’m the proud owner of a new Mavic 2 zoom. Should this issue be a concern to all zoom owners?
No. Although we have no definitive reason why this happened, it is an isolated incident. Just make sure the battery is charged, fully locked onto the bird, and make sure the props are all secure, Make sure you get a good GPS lock, and go for it!

Reactions: Eugenious99
No. Although we have no definitive reason why this happened, it is an isolated incident. Just make sure the battery is charged, fully locked onto the bird, and make sure the props are all secure, Make sure you get a good GPS lock, and go for it!
Thank you. I always double check everything before I take off.

Firstly, sorry to hear about this, it must have been stressful for you (as it would have been for any of us).

I agree, maybe a prop was not secured properly (easily done, you are not the first!), especially as the failure seemed to be quite violent & immediate (another theory is bird strike, again not as easy to see as some people may think). But I have no evidence, so pure speculation at this stage. I'm a little OCD about preflight checking the props etc. :)

It will be interesting to see how likely a hardware failure would be, but obviously, we can't discount this.

I'd be very grateful if you keep us informed. Thank you.

as @BudWalker has pointed out The accelerometers show a relatively small change - the Z axis accelerometer goes fro -1 to 1 while both the X and Y axes remain stable. Thus the chances of a bird strike are small. Prop, To my knowledge it was fine and it was flying for 20 minutes without any issues. I'll keep you posted with updates from DJI.

I’m the proud owner of a new Mavic 2 zoom. Should this issue be a concern to all zoom owners?
Yes, Look like an isolated incident. I would suggest being careful and not fly in any populated area. I really love my Mavic 2. Hope DJI will help me resolve this issue

I wonder if they'd say the same if you only had the .txt logs and no drone to extract a .dat

I wonder if they'd say the same if you only had the .txt logs and no drone to extract a .dat
The .DAT was retrieved from the tablet, not the Mavic 2. @faj442 did DJI approve the warranty without you sending the Mavic 2 to DJI?

Reactions: Kilrah
So you mean the .txt?

A .DAT can only be retrieved from the drone and contains huge amounts of data.
The .txt is stored by the mobile device and contains a lot of data but significantly less than the .dat.

Might be useful. Wondering because if mine drops out of the sky its pretty much 100% guaranteed its lost.

It'll be over ocean or forest with zero chance of recovery.

Reactions: VooDooZG
OK easy enough to do., Obviously im hoping it wont fall from the sky but good to know just in case. Its very very unlikely my drone will ever land somewhere recoverable.

So your saying yes this should be a concern for all Mavic 2 owners or yes that it was a isolated incident?

it looks like a failure of the electronic speed control. i have *never* heard of this happening before. anything electronic or mechanical can fail but at this point there is no reason to believe this was anything other than a rare one off failure of a critical system that caused the drone to be lost. DJI appears to be doing the right thing and replacing the drone even though the original drone was lost in the water as the data makes it pretty clear what the failure was.

Reactions: cdubNga
@BudWalker @MavicMan @BlueBay

I just received a response from DJI as follows

"we have completed your data analysis. The results showed that the accident belongs to the category of warranty, we will provide you with a Mavic 2 Zoom machine (without remote control, charger) for free."

I have asked for a detailed explanation. I'll keep you posted.
after this post i paid for dji care , LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb