DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 falling from the sky - Complete failure

Great to see DJI is replacing your drone even though you cant recover the crashed drone.

Looks like the Dual IMU technology is not 100% yet.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I lost mine too and am awaiting DJI to get back to me. Mine was a motor current error and then dropped 42 feet. Sent them the dat files and all too. I have an airdata account and like their HD Flight player a lot. It will show your joysticks movements as well as what it going on with any errors or warning to go with flight path. Not an isolated event and we think.

Reactions: faj442
That's four more Mavic's dropping from the sky this week. Nearing 40 now since release. Clearly there's a problem.

Reactions: digiteye
That's four more Mavic's dropping from the sky this week. Nearing 40 now since release. Clearly there's a problem.
I remember when I first read about it I thought I'm good, THEY, got a bad batch. Not sure if this is the same as KARMA type recall but we shall see.

Great to see DJI is replacing your drone even though you cant recover the crashed drone.

Looks like the Dual IMU technology is not 100% yet.

It appears that this was an ESC failure, not an IMU failure. I haven't seen any pure IMU failures in M2 logs so far. Early days, of course.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Good luck with DJI support they are absolutely horrible to deal with. My Mavic 2 pro overheated on its maiden flight, fell from 15 ft on the 28th of August and it’s still being investigated. I assume they are trying to find a reason to try and blame me for their product failure.

Reactions: cyclonite
Good luck with DJI support they are absolutely horrible to deal with. My Mavic 2 pro overheated on its maiden flight, fell from 15 ft on the 28th of August and it’s still being investigated. I assume they are trying to find a reason to try and blame me for their product failure.
****, not good!

WOW!!! And thats what i mean! Co is worth a billion dollars and can afford to #DoTheRightThing by sending a new bird out when its them which most likely all with the new series are the testers like the first Gen

It appears that this was an ESC failure, not an IMU failure. I haven't seen any pure IMU failures in M2 logs so far. Early days, of course.

Interesting. What makes you say that? the graphs shows that the IMUs disagreed. I would think if an ESC failed the IMUs would still be in sync?

Whatever the actual failure the numbers are starting to become worrisome. :eek:

It would be interesting to know the Number of M2s in the air and the failure percentage.

Cheers and thanks for your comment.

I have both my zoom and pro on care refresh just in case. ;)

Interesting. What makes you say that? the graphs shows that the IMUs disagreed. I would think if an ESC failed the IMUs would still be in sync?

Whatever the actual failure the numbers are starting to become worrisome. :eek:

It would be interesting to know the Number of M2s in the air and the failure percentage.

Cheers and thanks for your comment.

I have both my zoom and pro on care refresh just in case. ;)

I haven't analyzed this log, but @BudWalker reported the results in post #11. My comment was based on that. We'll need a bit more time to get a feel for overall failure rates.

Ah I see. I was taking about the OPs issue and you were commenting on post 11 I see that was the issue.

Yes. I might just sit tight for a couple of weeks. We will get some HW issues and some FW issues. Will be a while before the FW issues are resolved I expect DJI is beavering away with a FW update. Particular since they shipped early and didn't even get the basic feature set completed.

I would have thought that they would have had the ESCs pretty well bedded down with the sine wave output as its been well testing in the platinums. I wonder if they are having issues with the Phantom 2 Pros ESCs?

My new Mavic 2 zoom had complete failure yesterday during flight. There was no warning and it dropped from the sky at 140 M. The battery was at 20 % happened in a clear sky. This happened on the 6th flight, I have been flying drones for the last 2 years. I have emailed DJI Support and said they will get back to me, I'll Keep you posted. The recording stopped within a second after the failure you can see the footage here.

Same thing happened to me with my Air two weeks ago over the ocean. 40% battery, 12 satellites, everything going great. Inexplicably, battery dropped to 0%, RTH engaged, then force land. Luckily, wind helped get it to within 20 feet of shore. SPLASH!!! Recovered and used Refresh Express to get a replacement very quickly. They replaced the battery as well. Thing is, I have two batteries purchased with the fly more combo and I'm petrified to use them (over water especially), not knowing the outcome. I have a dispute in process with DJI as I don't believe I should be charged a replacement on the DJI Refresh account, as it was a product defect, not pilot error. I will update. Thanks for posting.

I am old school lipo and always fly several flights at no lower than 50% on new batteries to "condition" them and build trust in them. Electronics do strange things when the proper voltage is not available. Sorry for your loss!

I have a slightly similar case. it also fell off the sky and into a lake which is 100Ft+ deep and won't allow divers because it's a drinking reservoir. It's a Mavic Pro 2. Believe it or not, I saw from my very eyes the battery popped off, fell like a rock and follows the bird. I was happily watching it coming home after I pressed RTH. About 300ft from home point, it happened. I'm tired talking about it, it stresses me out. Let's just leave it like that. Now DJI is playing hard balls on me and try to analyze again. Still waiting for their reply. The last time they said was they can't verify what happened next because the log was cut. Of course because the battery popped off. there was an abrupt/sudden loss of power. The communication instantly stopped.

Last edited:
? what is that big H in the circle he's next to?? Is that something for drones or is it s helicopter landing area and if so why is he flying there? and could have anything do do with his bird falling?? Just asking

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne