DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Floats

Does anyone recommend floats on water for Mavic 2 s
I wouldn't, unless you have a real need to land and take off on (still) water.
Theres a significant penalty in terms of the affect on ability to deal with wind and flight time.
And not much real benefit.

Why do you think you need floats?

I wouldn't, unless you have a real need to land and take off on (still) water.
Theres a significant penalty in terms of the affect on ability to deal with wind and flight time.
And not much real benefit.
Great advice. Thanks

Yes, i made it by myself. Look here:

I wanted to make my Mavic buoyant so it would not spill when flying over water in case it "falls". The accessories for my project: 4 Styro balls each 500 cm3 (10cm diameter) and 4 "stilts" for the Mavic. So I make them "buoyant", or landable on the water, at least "unsinkable".

1: the "stilts" of Amazon "Wokee landing gear" at RCGEEK; 2x2 feet (front / rear) for the Mavic2
2: Styrofoam beads 100 mm in diameter; 4 pieces each about 0.5 liter volume (total lift 2 kg)

The stilts increase the landing gear by 25 mm and are super easy to install and remove (costs about 7 EUR). This gives a bit more ground clearance on landing and takeoff, without affecting the flight characteristics. The balls are attached to the extensions in a removable way. They only slightly deteriorate flight characteristics, allowing not only take-off but also landing on water, but winter is near, even on snow. I saw this in a video already in practice. Search term "mavic water landing"

There are different ways to attach the Styro balls. I glued M6 plastic screws into the balls. In the feet M6 threaded bushes glued down. So the feet can be used with or without balls.

I tested that on a pond. The drone launched and landed several times easily from the water. On moving water, however, the landing device is not suitable. Here it can only prevent the drone from sinking. Strong swell, the small device is no match.
Balls.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, i made it by myself. Look here:

I wanted to make my Mavic buoyant so it would not spill when flying over water in case it "falls". The accessories for my project: 4 Styro balls each 500 cm3 (10cm diameter) and 4 "stilts" for the Mavic. So I make them "buoyant", or landable on the water, at least "unsinkable".

1: the "stilts" of Amazon "Wokee landing gear" at RCGEEK; 2x2 feet (front / rear) for the Mavic2
2: Styrofoam beads 100 mm in diameter; 4 pieces each about 0.5 liter volume (total lift 2 kg)

The stilts increase the landing gear by 25 mm and are super easy to install and remove (costs about 7 EUR). This gives a bit more ground clearance on landing and takeoff, without affecting the flight characteristics. The balls are attached to the extensions in a removable way. They only slightly deteriorate flight characteristics, allowing not only take-off but also landing on water, but winter is near, even on snow. I saw this in a video already in practice. Search term "mavic water landing"

There are different ways to attach the Styro balls. I glued M6 plastic screws into the balls. In the feet M6 threaded bushes glued down. So the feet can be used with or without balls.

I tested that on a pond. The drone launched and landed several times easily from the water. On moving water, however, the landing device is not suitable. Here it can only prevent the drone from sinking. Strong swell, the small device is no match.
View attachment 77835
I did the same thing, for the most part. I used a little bigger balls on the front because that end seemed to tilt down closer to the water for me. I also painted mine glow orange. :) I tested them out the other day--NOT in water--I ONLY made them for "recovery effort" usage in case my drone goes down over water :-( and so I'd then have at least a chance at recovering it for insurance purposes. When I tested the drone with mine on, I did notice that it flies more slowly--I expected that--and it maneuvered well, but I made sure I flew when the wind currents were low. If and when I decide to fly over water (at a VERY safe height--at least 50 feet or more--MY comfortable safe altitude since I'm a newbie) I will make sure there's not much of a breeze that day.

Reactions: WAXMAN
The balance between front and hind legs is exactly the same: 500g

Therefore, it is not recommended to choose larger balls in front. It is also not recommended to choose larger legs: the higher the drone, the more unstable: land in windy and / or undulating seas. The 30mm extension of the legs is just right!

The balance between front and hind legs is exactly the same: 500g

Therefore, it is not recommended to choose larger balls in front. It is also not recommended to choose larger legs: the higher the drone, the more unstable: land in windy and / or undulating seas. The 30mm extension of the legs is just right!
Well, I tested my first set of styro balls--all smaller and all the same size while connected to my Mav in water in the kitchen sink. The front end tilted far too close to the water so I changed to the next size up balls AND also added a little over an inch on the the back ones too. Now, my drone sits evenly in water--still water, of course, and flies fine. As I mentioned earlier, these are NOT for taking off and landing in water--even though I'm SURE they would work for that in still water--I made them for possible recovery if my drone crashed in the body of water I'm flying over. :)

Reactions: ff22
these are NOT for taking off and landing in water--even though I'm SURE they would work for that in still water--I made them for possible recovery if my drone crashed in the body of water I'm flying over.
IMHO, that's about all they're good for.
Unless you crash very close to shore or have a boat available where you fly, flotation devices wouldn't help with recovery anyway.

Reactions: GGehret
I bought a StartRC M2 float kit for use during flood inspections. The expanded footprint allows for precautionary landings in sand, gravel bars, mud, etc. if needed, but my intention was to keep it afloat for later recovery if it went down. Of course if any of this happened it's because either I screwed up or something failed. The kit includes upper & lower 1/4x20 camera type mounting points which I've used for a 360 camera & external lighting. Without the floats attached to the main mount, hand catching is still viable.

Unless you crash very close to shore or have a boat available where you fly, flotation devices wouldn't help with recovery anyway.
I know, that is one of the problems, but at least I'd still have a chance; otherwise, without them, I'd have ZERO percent chance. For a few bucks and a little time and work, I made these to up my odds a bit. :) Maybe it would even eventually float to shore if it was too far out and someone else would find it and contact me. I have my name, address and telephone number placed inside the battery compartment.

Reactions: g36pilot
I know, that is one of the problems, but at least I'd still have a chance; otherwise, without them, I'd have ZERO percent chance.
What the floatie fans never consider is how much the floats reduce performance and flight time and the reduction in speed/increased wind resistance.
These are all serious considerations and it could be that rather than enhancing safety, encumbering your drone with that stuff actually contributes to losing it.
Most of my flying is over the sea and there's no way I'd handicap my craft with that stuff.

What the floatie fans never consider is how much the floats reduce performance and flight time and the reduction in speed/increased wind resistance.
These are all serious considerations and it could be that rather than enhancing safety, encumbering your drone with that stuff actually contributes to losing it.
Most of my flying is over the sea and there's no way I'd handicap my craft with that stuff.
As I stated earlier, I've known all along that it's flight performance may be affected because of the extra drag, and yes, I tested the floats and my drone the other day on a "land" flight, and it does make the drone fly more slowly--sorta like on tripod mod, but not quite that slow. I'm okay with that. Other maneuverabilities seem just fine. Of course, if/when I fly over water--which would be just lakes and rivers and an occasional pond here where I live--no oceans--I will not attempt to fly when the wind or wind gusts are high--only calm times. So, I'm okay w/ using my floats--at least until I become more comfortable and more experienced. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: ff22 and g36pilot
StartRC M2 float kit
Would you mind posting the dimensions of the floats for this kit, diameter and length? I've seen reports of them being bare-minimum and a bit tricky with placement & balance (can flip backwards), and would prefer to replace them with something just a little longer on each end for added stability. I live near a lot of water and want the insurance of these for at least an attempted recovery!

Does anyone recommend floats on water for Mavic 2 s and if so what kind ? Thanks.

We recommend the Mavic 2 Rescue Jackets:

Here is a video on Rescue Jacket in Action.
They are used to remote land on water
They are used to protect you DJI refresh program
They provide you with 2800 Ft Visual line of Sight during the day
They now come in 4 Color Designs.

You loose about 5 minutes of flight time in Normal p mode flying
We have several videos on the Rescue Jackets in action on our website.

Resuce Jacekt for fish Tackle..jpg

The install is about 15 seconds on and off.
Email me at [email protected]

Reactions: qinks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech