DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 got caught in an unexpected downpour

Don't worry about it. Although rain water will have whatever contaminates that are in the air (acids, pollen, soot, etc.) it is of low enough concentration that it would not cause a problem. Since it was not submerged there was no pressure to force water into all the nooks and crannies. The Mavic innards get quite warm while flying so whatever moisture may have gotten inside would have evaporated by the time you got home.

Flying in the Seattle area, my MP has been exposed to the occasional shower (not full-blown rain). I just wipe it down and store as usual.

Rice really is a bad idea for this reason - dust.
Just put it somewhere warm and dry for a few days, I see no need for desiccant.
The motors will be fine they get just as damp if you fly in fog or cloud.
The circuit boards won't be adversely affected by brief splashes unless you're very unlucky, rainwater is effectively distilled water so unlikely to even leave a problematic deposit after it dries.
This is the only post that makes sense for this situation. I got caught in the rain a few times and towel dried it then flew it again as soon as the rain stopped. The second time it was 300+ feet high and 1000 feet distance and one cloud let loose it was one of those it rain on one side of the street and not the other. 2nd time in my life I witnessed that... anyways I flew it in towel dried and let it sit for a day.... It flew fine. Just remember, this was my situation. Others may be different or others may be the same.

I was flying today and while there was rain in the forecast it wasn’t expected to start much later than when I was flying. But it unexpectedly started to pour while I had my Mavic 2 in the air. I landed it but it was in the rain for a few minutes. It was very wet when I landed it and I dried it off right away. Do you think it will be OK or is there something else I need to do to make sure I didn’t get any water damage? Thanks!

You might want to check out this post :

But the circuit boards remain a problem for corrosion regardless. Recommend a desssicant as suggested above.... hope it’s there already as time can be an issue in the situation described.
Yea but he wasnt submerged in water also the circuit boards are coated

Rain water has a few dust particles per million by weight. Its almost electrically non conductive because its almost pure water( an insulator). Modern electronics die more often from tap water creating short circuits all over the board(s) and frying sensitive small parts. I wouldn't consider it waterproof but its resistant to rain.

In the NorthWet you tend to fly in wet weather
I don’t worry about the “ boards getting wet
My concern is more optical I would not want moister to find it’s way into that camera
The camera for the M2P
Are still pricey.

This is were the MP1 Is superior .
Literally fly through Rain clouds without a hiccup.
I have flown in wet Weather
we’re you no longer get a clear picture from the Lense

Last MP1 camera/gimble cost $59
(Nicked a tree)....hard.

the M2P is more refined also
You have to Be mindful of things like swelling battery’s

....cR

Reactions: Starz
I agree with Vanta above that rain water is generally safe for electronics. Even in polluted air, the pollution is eliminated from the air fairly quickly. Rain water has low conductivity due to the lack of ions in the water. It’s the ions in the water that conduct electricity. De-ionized water is the best.

I would however be extra careful around the oceans because seawater is the worst. Salt has a very high ionic content. The salt is also very corrosive.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143